[Android Tips] improve your battery performance

rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

I'm quite happy with my battery performance of my phone, but I use some tricks to achieve this, I also looked around on the web a while back to find some extra tips to reduce battery for my weekend away last month, so I didn't need to bring a battery pack and chargers and only used my phone on 2G networks it lasted 2.5 days even with making a picture every now and then.

Hope these tips will help you too, if I missed something let me know and I'll add it to the list.

1. Turn of GPS if you don't use navigation
  2. Turn off bluetooth, most people don't use bluetooth that often, modern phones use not that much energy for bluetooth so if you use it on a regular basis leave it on
  3. Use a headset or bluetooth speaker while listening to music instead of the built in speakers
  4. decrease the screen brightness of your screen this is the one of the largest energy consuming components of your phone
  5. Turn of WiFi if you are outside the house
  6. Don't auto synchronize all your apps
  7. Use the back button of your phone instead of the home button, this will force close the apps and prevents them of running in the background while you are not using it.
  8. reboot your phone on a regular basis (at least once a week) this will close background processes that you are not using anymore
  9. don't use widgets on your home screen, they have to refresh regulary and this consumes a lot of energy
  10. Use 2G networks when you don't need internet, or only emails this will increase battery life
  11. Don't use task managers. Android has a very good task manager built in, most of the time the task manager will close a task to soon and the app needs to reopen and restart it's task consuming even more energy.
  12. use the latest firmware to benefit from the latest improvements in battery management.
  13. don't use the vibration functionality of the keyboard or sounds with every key stroke

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Turn Off Location or at least put it on Energy Savings setting. This is like the #1 on the list.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

Surprised the Bluetooth speaker would save battery over internal speakers.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

​ I agree, if you use the app often, leave it running. but if you don't you can use the back button, normally the implementation of the back button will close the app. However app developers are free to implement the buttons in android as they wish, so you could be right. In that case you can reboot your phone once every week or force close apps in the multitask menu