Battery Preservation

jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Interesting move by Sony, rather than move forward with fast charging, moving to soft charging will help batteries last longer which is nice especially with nonremovable batteries.

Thoughts?

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-soft-charging-battery-700151/

Comments

• benjamin.hobbsbenjamin.hobbs Independence, ORPosts: 76

With my Zmax 2 (and SnapDragon devices of the past) I use the BatteryGuru app for Qualcomm SnapDragon Android phones. It can turn on or off wi-fi based on your usage, it learns when you use and don't use the device, it controls when apps use the internet - to avoid unnecessary battery draining background activity. I get home and sometimes find that my battery is still at 80% after 9 and half hours of being on. As with everything, results may vary. I turn off, my location feature while I am at work too, and I connect to wi-fi and turn off data.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I'll have to download that on my ZMAX 2, thanks!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,602 mod

Seems like an odd thing to do. I don't think I want to wait longer to charge a battery, that will drain faster, just to extend it's life. A slow charging battery, that drains rather quick is why I would want a new phone...lol

I think it's an interesting move in that if it was a decent battery, not great but not crap either that charged longer and discharged faster BUT you could guarantee that performance for a few years with a steep dropoff then it might be good, especially for non techie types that always love going for the newest stuff.

I can understand that. It definitely is an interesting direction they are headed!

Yeah, not sure it is the right call but I like it when smartphone companies expirament and take risks. Sometimes I think they work, sometimes i don't but it's a lot better than a company that rhymes with quapple that pumps out the same thing every year with a new number next to it.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I feel it can be useful if it can be timed, e.g., if it detects that you are charging late at night, e.g, putting the phone on the charger over night, it could drop the charge rate for a target of 5 hours to fully charge, but if you charge it in the morning, it can charge at the full quickcharge 3.0 speeds.
    This will allow for some battery life savings while minimizing any inconvenience.

Beyond that, this is a less than ideal way of dealing with a part that could likely be replaced for $5

Think of it this way, would you like a phone that takes many hours to charge, but may give you a 3 year service life, or would you like a phone that charges extremely fast, but you may have to spend around $5 every 1.5-2 years in order to replace the battery?

I personally would like to keep the fast charging, and occasionally install a new battery.

I feel these costs can be managed if planed right, e.g., if the user can set aside about 25 cents per month, then when the battery on their phone becomes really inadequate to last the day, that ~$5 for a new battery will not feel like such a massive financial burden.

I fully agree! quapple? lol thats a first for me

In general I agree, in fact even with "non-removable batteries" are real easy to take out so I wouldn't mind replacing it myself for $5 every now and again. However, with companies going more and more toward nonremovable batteries and most people won't pop them out so they may pay big bucks for a manufacturer to replace it, so in that instance it could be helpful

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In some case, some companies spend more time designing the product to be as hard to repair as possible, that they forget that the phone has to also be somewhat good.

E.g., the HTC One which is legendary for being horribly designed on the inside HTC One Teardown - iFixit

They found a team of engineers who hate the world, and made them pour all of their hate into the internal design of that phone.

On the other hand, some companies do a reasonably well job of making the battery accessible, so that when ti does fail, it doesn't become a difficult and risky job to replace it.

Oh I know the horror of the one, I reluctantly agreed to attempt to fix a friend's one m8 and it was the only device I have ever busted and completley gave up on. The sheer amount of glue in that phone is enough to hold plate tectonics together.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if it would depend on the phone. If it was durable phone that I knew was going to last a long time and would have updates last just as long, maybe yes. I personally would prefer it to charge faster and decrease the overall battery life, but thats just imo. It would be a good feature fr grandparents (assuming yours are like mine and hold on to everything until it completely gives out)

That's exactly who I had in mind for something like this

It might even be a good option for a kids first phone. Parents are big into starting kids easy with technology now a days and they don't necessarily need long a lasting battery or quick charge.

Same here. The longest Ive had a phone, and are probably willing to keep a phone, is a year and a half tops. If my battery dies in less than that, I won't be buying from that company again.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Like most here I prefer the fast charge and just give me a much bigger battery, please.

• flybriflybri LAPosts: 219 ✭✭

I don't usually use one of my fast chargers unless I absolutely need to, for this exact reason. 

I have to agree. For me at least, my battery has always outlasted the phone.. and even that was out of want and not need. The only thing I have ever killed a battery on was an iPod touch. I don't think that a charger would affect the battery too much in the long run

I'm sure quick charging effects the battery negatively, to what extent? I'm not sure but even regular charging slows down the battery life on all devices and quick charging is convenient but does accelerate the process.

Oh for sure, I mean for us tech geeks it wouldn't be useful but for he older generations then it would be useful