[Android Tips] Android Smartphone 101

melvinchngmelvinchng San Jose, CAPosts: 68 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of you guys may have received a lot of information from other people that are new/currently using Android smartphone. I have started using Android since 2010 and participate in a few of the Android/Smartphone discussion forum online at that time. I will try my best to provide the most accurate information. However, if you think I have made any mistake, feel free to start a discussion below.

I will try to make this into Q&A style.

1. Do I need a third party task killer/manager or anything to clean up the system memory?

If you are talking about Android 2.x - 3.x (or even 4.x), you probably need one. Right now (Android 5.x+), you do not need one as the Memory management in the system is powerful enough.

2. How much memory (RAM) do I need for my smartphone?

It will be depends on how much application do you need to run on your phone. If you are getting a phone with less memory (1GB), you have to expect that only a small amount of application can be run or installed. Most of the application will run at the background and occupy some RAM. Do expect that your application will be killed (or stopped) when the system is running low of memory.

3. What is the recommended memory (RAM) when I purchase memory?

I would say 2GB is the minimum if you are looking to have smooth and good experience.

4. How much storage space do I require (ROM)?

It is still depend on your need. Do you just use your phone just for text, call, and social media or you use it to game? If you use it for basic tasks daily, you can choose to opt in for 8GB (or more). If you game on your phone, you are looking for a lot more storage on your phone 32GB (or more). 8GB may not be enough if you use social media a lot since they will occupy a lot of your storage. Do remember that some of the application and game files cannot be stored in SD card. Only pictures and videos can be restored in SD Card. This leads to require higher amount of amount of storage.

5. Do I really need to install the updates from the manufacturer?

Yes, you do. Updates are really important for your devices as it will fix the system bugs that you are having. Some updates are critical as it will fix the memory leak in your phone. (Memory leak refers to programs/operating system that does not release the unwanted allocated memory).

6. Do I need an antivirus/system boost program for my phone?

No. Those programs will only slow down your smartphone and drain your battery instead of increasing your battery life.

7. Turn off unwanted system functionality to save battery life

Turn off NFC, Bluetooth, WiFi, (and Data connection) when not in use. Change Location setting to “Battery saving” when you are not using it for navigation. Use auto brightness to and let the system to decide the optimum brightness level.

8. Bad reception decreases battery life

When you are in a area with bad reception, your cell phone antenna requires more power to get the signal. This will result in poor battery life. Try to switch to other network (eg. LTE > HSDPA/WCDMA) if you are experiencing this issue or contact your network provider to find out more about the cellular tower around you.

9. Do not charge your battery at <20%

Most of us will receive the wrong information that says charging the battery at high percentage will degrade the battery. If you read/follow the Lithium-ion battery technology, you will find out that if you charge your phone when your battery life is low, your battery is going to degrade sooner. Partial charge is recommended.

10. Avoid using Super Charging/ Quick Charge if you are not in a hurry.

Charging the phone at high voltage and current will increase the heat of the battery. And charging the battery at high heat will lead to battery degradation. Use regular 5V/2.1A charger if you are going to charge it overnight. If you are experiencing heated up device while charging your phone using Quick Charge, quickly remove the charging cable to avoid any risk.

11. Calibrate your battery once a month

Simply drain your battery to 10% or less and charge it all the way up to 100% to calibrate your battery (and get accurate battery percentage)

12. What is root (Root Access)?

Root is a process to gain system administration privilege. With the Admin access, you are able to modify the system (uninstall certain apps, modify and replace system information) at your own risk. Root may void your warranty and cause system to behave unexpectedly if you do not know how to handle your device properly. Some of the devices require the bootloader to be unlocked first before proceed to rooting. If you have no idea what does Root means, you do not need to have Root Access. If you are familiar with root, you can customize your device to make it more suitable to you.