Can a T-Mobile ZMAX PRO work on Cricket?

onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who wants my ZMP. She is on Cricket. Will the phone work well on Cricket?  Please advise and Thanks,

Matt

Answers

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

After the Pro is unlocked it should work well on Cricket. 

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And how do I know if it's unlocked?

• freddiezfreddiez Posts: 74 ✭✭✭✭

I can only comment on the metroPCS version. They use a native unlock app. It's in your app drawer. Just click it and unlock. Presto whambam your good to swap. (After 90 days on metro that is). I am curious if Crickets newly announced voLTE and HD voice will work.

Happy trails

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

Pop her SIM card in and see if she can make a call. If the device is unlocked I would assume it would work.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes ​ they got bought by AT&T and like Metro they switched over to use there parent company as an MVNO basically so they use AT&T towers and bands

your always welcome buddy

Thanks everybody who responded.  I unlocked the phone and then installed the cricket SIM. Everything came up but no 4LT. I told my friend to go ahead and use the phone for a couple of days and let me know.

Yes,data is on...

Success!  The Zmax Pro is working on Cricket and getting 4LTE!

I went to look at the phone again and she had LTE, not sure how it happened. It may have be because she changed location in our building and she started receiving it.

Since it defaults to try and register with the carrier first it usually takes a few minutes to show up, usually the fastest way to get it to show up is to turn off the phone and insert sim and then turn the phone on.

The APN settings for Cricket are different than MetroPCS.  The fact that 4g LTE became active automatically suggests the possibility that the Cricket network recognized that her phone had incorrect APN settings and Cricket automatically updated the Pro with the correct settings.

In 2017, phones in the T-Mobile family are highly compatible with the AT&T network, including Cricket and GoPhone.

The bad news is that as the various networks move toward 5g, phones might be designed that will work well only on one network.

Yes, 5G is coming. The Axon 7 is the first phone I have had in a long time that feels like I would keep it a long time. Of course I'm still in the honeymoon phase, I just got the phone!

Are you able to make HD voice calls over the Cricket network on the ZMP now?

If I understand the HD voice capability of T–Metro/MetroPcs phones, a true HD call only takes place when both parties are on the T–Mobile network.

The same is true of HD calling on other networks.  Both parties to a call must be on the same network.

So, my guess is that when a T-Mobile phone is running with an AT&T SIM card that phone will be unable to connect HD calls to any phone on any network.

Most people I call are on other networks and those non–HD calls generally sound fine.

Right. I should have asked if HD voice works now on ATT network calls.

Thanks alan

jimlloyd40, I wonder if the HD voice setup is designed as a way of marketing family plans.  My family is split between AT&The and T–Mobile/MetroPcs.  To get HD voice, we must ALL move to AT&T or all of us must move to MetroPcs.