Considering this phone

I've been reading a lot about this phone and I'm seriously considering getting it because it seems like an absolute bargain for the features but I still have some questions.

Probably the most asked question, does anyone have any updates/ideas as to when it will get Nougat?

As far as Android Pay is concerned, I've read conflicting reviews about it's ability to be used with Android Pay. Some said it doesn't work because Google hasn't certified it or that it has an unlocked boot loader, and some say it does work but that you have to use a pin to use it. If I'm buying a new phone, Android Pay has to work. I'd rather be able to use my fingerprint to do it though but I guess I could go with a pin in the hopes that a future software upgrade would enable fingerprint authentication for it. What has your experience been like using Android Pay?

How good is the bokeh effect? I'm not expecting it to be as good as the iPhone 7 Plus's pictures but does it look good or does it look "gimicky?"

I currently have an iPhone 5s and really want a new phone but I don't have much to spend and as much as I'd love an iPhone 7 or a Galaxy S8 or a OnePlus 3T, they're out of my price range. I won't settle for anything that doesn't have Android Pay and band 12 support. I'm on MetroPCS, which runs on T-Mobile's network and my iPhone 5s doesn't support band 12 so I get very poor indoor reception with unusable data speed which is honestly one of the biggest reasons why I want a new phone. How's the indoor performance with this phone on T-mobile/MetroPCS. I realize this is also dependent on where you live but I'd still like to hear from people who may have been coming from an older phone to this one and hear about your experience doing so and how big the gain/difference is coming from a phone lacking band 12 to the Blade V8 Pro.

I know I can just buy the phone and try it out for a few days and return it if it doesn't work as well as I want it to but I feel bad doing that and I don't want to drop it and own it if I end up not liking it.

Thanks

Answers

• telyxtelyx Posts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty impressed with this phone.  No idea when it will get Nougat, though.  I have rooted every Android device I've had but haven't been tempted to root the Blade V8 Pro; it just works well enough for me.

I haven't tried Android Pay and I don't use the stock camera app.  It has been reported that the camera works best if you use HDR mode (leave it on all the time), but I use Snap Camera HDR and just turn the contrast down to -3, turn off Denoise, and the camera does very well.  (The free FreeDCam app has those options as well.)  As for the "bokeh effect," I tried it once and really had no use for it.  I have non-phone cameras for that.

I have T-Mobile service (Garden City, MI) and my apartment is half underground, so my data service is primarily Band 12.  Early in the morning and later at night it's decent, but in the afternoon it gets really slow.  If I put my phone in the right place in my bedroom window I can pick up some nice fast Band 4, and until recently I could disable LTE and get old-school "4G" data that was quite a bit faster than Band 12 LTE.  I don't think the speed issue is the phone's fault, though, since I had the same issue with my T-Mobile-branded LG G Stylo.

• Other than waiting for nougat, this phone is totally worth it. It's fast holds a good charge as well. Android Pay does work, but the app controls how you use it. The PIN is required to use it so opening your phone with the fingerprint may not work in either some or all cases. If you use Android Pay  unlock your phone with the PIN, even if it was just opened with the fingerprint scanner; lock, then unlock with your PIN. If it still errors out during checkout, then there is a block with the establishment itself that allows you to use Android Pay only in a certain way. I tried with Food Lion and they only allow credit payment instead of debit payment.

I hope you got the phone as it had benefited me for the price that I paid      

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2017 8:00PM

@kanezfan said:
    I've been reading a lot about this phone and I'm seriously considering getting it because it seems like an absolute bargain for the features but I still have some questions.

Probably the most asked question, does anyone have any updates/ideas as to when it will get Nougat?

As far as Android Pay is concerned, I've read conflicting reviews about it's ability to be used with Android Pay. Some said it doesn't work because Google hasn't certified it or that it has an unlocked boot loader, and some say it does work but that you have to use a pin to use it. If I'm buying a new phone, Android Pay has to work. I'd rather be able to use my fingerprint to do it though but I guess I could go with a pin in the hopes that a future software upgrade would enable fingerprint authentication for it. What has your experience been like using Android Pay?

How good is the bokeh effect? I'm not expecting it to be as good as the iPhone 7 Plus's pictures but does it look good or does it look "gimicky?"

I currently have an iPhone 5s and really want a new phone but I don't have much to spend and as much as I'd love an iPhone 7 or a Galaxy S8 or a OnePlus 3T, they're out of my price range. I won't settle for anything that doesn't have Android Pay and band 12 support. I'm on MetroPCS, which runs on T-Mobile's network and my iPhone 5s doesn't support band 12 so I get very poor indoor reception with unusable data speed which is honestly one of the biggest reasons why I want a new phone. How's the indoor performance with this phone on T-mobile/MetroPCS. I realize this is also dependent on where you live but I'd still like to hear from people who may have been coming from an older phone to this one and hear about your experience doing so and how big the gain/difference is coming from a phone lacking band 12 to the Blade V8 Pro.

I know I can just buy the phone and try it out for a few days and return it if it doesn't work as well as I want it to but I feel bad doing that and I don't want to drop it and own it if I end up not liking it.

Thanks

If you like iPhones, and want mobile payment and band 12, you could go the route i did for my gym phone, buy the Apple Iphone SE 32GB on boostmobile website for $159 and go get it unlocked for $45 (or use a RSIMM 11+ for $7) and enjoy using a cheap phone with a good camera, applepay and band 12. Ive had the V8 Pro, and while the battery life was good, camera was decent but not great especially low light, it had alot of annoying little quirks, like dust getting inside the camera lens, really really crappy built in speakers, and screen colors being a little on the cold side and not accurate. Also on the mobile payment side, i could not ever get it to work, it would buzz and sound like it did but always ended up failed. As far as receptions, cellular handover from B4 to B12 kinda sucked, in my general area, i have both available pretty strong, however it will not connect to the faster B4, it liked to stick to B12 which in my area signal is strong but very slow. I always had to hit airplane mode to get it to go back to B4.