Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do you like having a rear camera on a tablet?

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

This week the CL team is interesting in your thoughts on tablets with rear cameras.  The CL team is trying to gauge your use of a tablets rear camera.  Some of the questions the team is interested in are below.  Have fun and just be honest!

• How often to you actually use the rear camera on your current tablet or one you have previously owned?
  • What type of pictures do you take with your tablet's rear camera?
  • Do you use the rear camera more than the front facing one or vice versa?  What is your estimated proportional use of each camera(% wise)?

We appreciate your help in getting this information to the Consumer Lab team to make a better ZTE product!!

Comments

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small form factor tablet. 8.4" screen size. The camera on that is an 8MP shooter with a 2.1 up front. In today's environment I feel having a camera on a tablet should be a given in todays world. I take proportionally as many pictures with my tablet as I do my phone and of those I take more with the rear camera than i do the front. I use the front camera mainly for video chats but will also use the rear camera during chats to show the viewer something other than my ugly mug... like my son doing something cute.

Hope this helps

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

My go to tablet is an Asus Vivo tab and the rear camera is only 8mp, and I'm not sure what the front one is to be honest, it sucks either way and of no use(but I will look and update.)  I suppose the back camera is ok if I need a quick picture, and the built in flash is  nice feature, but I just don't use it much. If it took better quality pictures I probably would, as I stated in other posts I have a nice camera, and prefer that instead of using a camera on a phone. The tablet is a different beast, and if it had a killer camera then I would definitely use it. The convenience of having a great camera on a "portable computer" would make me very happy, as I use my tablet so much through out the day, where as with my phone I try save space, and battery. I use the back camera for quickie pics of stuff in the stores, pics of the pup if I'm sitting outback, just basic stupid stuff through out the course of a day. The front camera, I have only turned on once or twice honestly, it is that bad, and I hate, hate selfies and videos.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have an iPad Air 2 and I do not really use the camera. The only time I actually think I used the camera was for mobile deposit check for a bank, just for convenience. I find it just weird holding an iPad/tablet to take photos. Too huge of a device to take photos publicly but I've seen it done before... I would mostly use an actual camera or my phone to take photos instead of a tablet.

Front facing camera however might be useful for calls for Skype, Facetime, Whatsapp, Messenger, WeChat, etc. So maybe have a good front facing camera for those scenarios.

• eminuseminus Pacifica CAPosts: 21

I kind of like the approach Lenovo took with the Yoga tablets.  One camera that you can rotate to be front facing or rear facing.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. As quickly as I could I loaded Cynogenmod 12.1 on it to get rid of Touchwiz. I've had it for about 2 years now, and I'm not sure I actually ever used the camera. My daughter may have played around with it, but that's about it. I could be using the tablet and if I need to take a pic still take out my phone and do it.  Just don't use the cameras on tablets at all.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own an Asus Vivotab 8.1 RT table that has a rear facing camera. I believe the rear camera is 8mp. When I do use the device, I use the back camera. The only time I really used the front camera was when I first got the device and when Skyping. If Skype does not count and we are talking solely about taking pictures and videos, I use the rear camera 100% of the time. Typically I use it to record videos of unboxings/how-to's

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the front camera is pretty rough. I do not use it either as I believe it is 2mp if I remember correctly. The flash on the rear is a very nice added feature. It is something that definitely catches my eye.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd argue that the front facing camera should actually be better than the rear for a change. On tablets there's a MUCH higher chance of using the front facing camera for video calls and the like.

On phones video calls are usually really tiny and with multiple people they just suck. On tablets they are much more widespread, and you just might use the rear camera to show something once or twice but don't need super quality.

I've ye to use the rear camera personally but my front facing one? Tons of times. When I dont want to bust out the laptop(with the horrific web cam anyway) or use my phone, my tablet saves the day with video calls.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On a tablet I could be persuaded that this makes a sound idea.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I like having a rear camera, but it's more for that just in case time.  I carry my tablet around a bit, but don't actually use it for picture taking.  Although I like that the capability is there, I generally only use my phone for pictures nowadays.

• mb2xmb2x Greenville, SCPosts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used it maybe a few times. The camera wasn't very good at all. For me though, I don't use any camera that often. If I take pictures with a device (other than a point and shoot camera) I use my phone.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like rear camera on the tablet. I have personally gone through many tablets and never once took a picture with it. Sure it might come in handy when the phone is not around. I rather have a good front facing/selfie camera (for conference meetings and hangouts/skype session) then two bad cameras. This is just my personal opinion.

Rear camera - 0%

Front Facing Camera - 100% for conference, Hangouts & Skype calls. That too i prefer to take calls on my smartphone because of the image quality is so much better.

• I agree on this part. I think I have only ever used the camera on one of my tablets a hand full of times in all the years i have had a tablet. I do see where having a good front camera for video chat or skype would be nice to have, even though I have never had a need to do so. I had not considered that till you mentioned it.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I think you should still have both front and rear cameras for all the same reasons you would want them for smartphones.

• matrixrev23matrixrev23 Quad citiesPosts: 2

If the cameras were better I'd use them more often.

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aerospaceman wrote:How often do you actually use the rear camera on your current tablet or one you have previously owned?I rarely use the rear camera on any tablet I've owned. It feels downright silly holding a 10 inch tablet up to take a picture. I see many iPad owners doing it and I laugh each time, a literal laugh out loud. With the prevalence of smaller smartphone cameras, you shouldn't have to hold up a giant tablet for a picture.What type of pictures do you take with your tablet's rear camera?In the privacy of my own home I have snapped one or two test photos but I wouldn't be seen holding it up in public. That would be silly.Do you use the rear camera more than the front facing one or vice versa? What is your estimated proportional use of each camera(% wise)?Front facing 99.9%, Rear facing .1%. Front facing is always good for Skype/Hangouts or even silly face switching apps with the kiddos.
  • thecoke091thecoke091 Tonawanda NYPosts: 7

1: Personally, I do not use the rear camera much on my tablets, but whenever I am in a video chat, I always use it at least once.

2: Quick snapchat-like pictures, since most tablet cameras are far inferior to smartphone cameras, which is most likely on you or near you when you're inclined to use your tablet for a picture.

3: Front facing is vastly used more, tablets are great for video calls since the large screen allows you to adequately see whats going on while still being able to see what you're doing in the little box in the corner.

My overall suggestions would be to definitely keep both cameras on there, but I believe people would love a tablet with a front facing camera that is equivalent or ever slightly better than the rear camera (for tablets specifically), also getting rid of the rear camera on tablets just because it isn't used much, or as much as the front facing, would be the same move that OnePlus did with NFC on the OnePlus Two (which I love the phone and never needed NFC personally, but I know its a big deal to many people).

This discussion has been closed.