Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Actions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Featured User of the Month

trotter trotter

Joined on: December 25, 2016

User's Score: 70

Eclipse Countdown 2017

Just got B20 On Metro

mjf042mjf042 Concord,CAPosts: 10

i don't know if it has anything to do with it but i unlocked my zmax pro through metros app because after this month i'm going to switch to cricket. but after it unlocked and restarted i checked for a system update and B20 popped up. i was on LTE not WiFi. did anyone else get it?

Comments

• I just got the update also, but I got my update over WiFi. Seems smoothe, I'm not sure what the update was for. Maybe it was more Chinese tracking software and NSA counter tracking software, patch notes would be nice.

• I received mine this morning

• tube0517tube0517 tube68@gmail.comPosts: 18

I got the notification but I'm not installing yet.

I am probably going to do a factory reset (I think my phone needs it) if I install it.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear that everyone is getting the update!!!! 

It's a great update and well needed.  Hopefully it will fix a lot of issue for folks!!!

Please let me know if you have any questions on things.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Folks just need to go to settings, system updates, and follow the steps.  After the update is complete, a "clean” factory reset will have phones running better than new.

• mjf042mjf042 Concord,CAPosts: 10

glad to see everyone is getting the update

• why would anyone want to complete erase their phone for a live update? do you do that on your pc/mac for every virus definition update? i don't even restart my computer after video card updates anymore.

• bobennisbobennis Fontana CAPosts: 3

Just got my B20 update on WiFi, but don't notice anything different yet. What has been found as new?

My experience with android phones has been that android owners are divided into two groups:  folks who do NOT  do clean factory resets on a regular basis and  who then  complain their phone is buggy.  And, the folks who do clean factory resets and who have phones that work smoothly.

So, it's your choice.  B20 runs great after a clean reset. The Forum will soon be flooded with whining from the folks who installed B20, failed to do a reset, and whi will claim B20 ruined their phone.

• sagudfoodsagudfood Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

With all the flaws, glitches, and problems that people have been having with this POS phone. Up until now that's been the main solution that they've been shoving down peoples throats around here, a factory reset. It's only worked for a very limited few. These people don't understand that you shouldn't have to factory reset your phone just to make it work correctly. Now they're pushing the idea of a factory reset with firmware updates. That should tell you the kind of company that you're dealing with, LMFAO.

In my opinion, I wouldn't touch this new update for at least a couple months. Let other people be the guinea pig. They haven't had a successfully working update to the pro yet and I wouldn't bet on this one either. It may fix one thing, but going by their track record it will probably break two other things. On the other hand, just throw this junk phone on the nightstand and use as a bedside clock and go buy a phone from a real 1st tier company that knows how to make their phones work. Just my opinion though. Everyone have a great day!!!

• When I woke up this morning I had a message to restart to install update. I ended up with B20 also. My phone was on wifi overnight.

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 233 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really not a solution to factory reset everytime you want to fix your phone. I usually reboot to fix it. Why you need to overhaul your phone every time? Does not make any sense. Anyway, I will not update my phone if this is the last update. Might as well wait for this phone to really mess up before I update. Coz ZTE update has a record  of fixing some things then ruin some things every update. It's laughable.

By the way, why is the hotspot button not working on pull down menu anymore? I don't really use it but it's the the only button there not doing anything when you click on it. I am sure it was working before though.

It's like the video call bug. The icon is greyed out or does not do a thing when clicked but it works another way.

This phone is strange. LOL.

• freddiezfreddiez Posts: 73 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I just have to know: are you really truly "LMFAO" when you type "LMFAO"?

Or...are you furiously stabbing at the keyboard with a big frownie face in real life?

Thanks for sharing

• I do have a question. Is there a change log for B20?

• mjf042mjf042 Concord,CAPosts: 10

i've noticed one thing thats better with this update. at least for my device. the fingerprint sensor seems to work a lot faster than before. anyone else feel the same or just me?

Hi ​ Hopefully ZTE will post one soon.   If I come across it I will tag you on the post.

Yes it has been improved!!!   I like it!!!

• trishd00trishd00 FloridaPosts: 35

This is my 3rd ZTE zmax pro phone I reordered because of these updates messing my cellphone up even after a factory reset. I called MetroPCS yesterday to let them know of my issues after updating to B20. They said they have no clue about the phone messing up. I am heading to the MetroPCS store to find out what is going on and why my 4G LTE signal keeps dropping, calls dropping, no text message on message app and now my battery charge is dropping quickly. I should have never updated. Each time I did I have issues and have to reorder cellphone.

trishd00, your experience is puzzling.  Try a CLEAN factory reset.  During the reset, you are asked whether you want to use prior settings and software or NEW settings.  Select NEW settings.

After the reset, install ZERO apps and games for a day.  Disable the Lookout app, it is a troublemaker.  Use your phone for calls and texting.  It should be working smoothly.

When you know the phone is working well, add your favorite app and retest.  Add one app at a time until an app causes your phone to act nuts.  Delete that app.

If your phone will not work after a clean factory reset, contact ZTE support to discuss a replacement under the factory warranty.  Good luck.

I did do a clean factory reset and didn't put any apps on my cell for a day. Nothing seems to work and the guy at the MetroPCS store keeps reordering this type of phone bc he is also clueless. I am done and will be contacting ZTE by phone.

Hi ​  Since you have a carrier device you will have to go through your carrier (MetroPCS)  instead of going through ZTE.

I am not replacing this  phone anymore. I'm asking for my money back or another phone same value price. Either way I'm done with ZTE phone.

Yap, it also boggles my mind why everytime they have update to apparently fix a bug, it comes with a new bug! LOL! I think the only reason my zmax pro is not restarting much or having issues I read here  is coz I barely use it. Yes, I have VR games/apps installed, but never use it. LOL.

I already told my trick about battery life but since you already decided to throw this phone for replacement then good luck.

There's a reason why ZTE phones are cheap. There's a reason why these people can't send out a decent update. There's a reason why ZTE says, "contact your carrier",  and MetroPCS says, "contact ZTE". Put 2 and 2 together people. Take my advice, ditch ZTE junk products and buy an established and reliable brand. If you think about it, saving a few bucks buying a phone that doesn't work from a 3rd tier company isn't saving you anything. It actually cost you more in the long run, than if you just went ahead and bought a real phone from a real company from the start.   Good luck with your gimped update. B20 will self destruct in 3.........2..........1...........

I was just told by a representative from MetroPCS not to update the system because it will fix one problem but u will end up with 3 issues or more. I did however order a replacement since i can't afford a new cell at the moment. Now it's been documented by MetroPCS that there is issues with the update.

So far the issues are:

No messages popping up on message icon.

Drop signal/Drop calls

No miss calls on the phone icon.

Finger print doesn't work right.

These are what I was told was the issues with the new system update B20.

Video call button only works over WiFi. That's what I was told today.

I tried with my wifi and data off. Video call works. At least it's dialing and I see myself in the cam. Video call is working actually it's just the icon is grey out which does not make any sense so I figure on B20 they did not fix the icon grey out then?

I made a battery life trick thread see if it works for you. Unless you replace it already with a different phone.

I did order a replacement but I didn't see your response about the battery trick. If you could tag me in that post I really appreciate it. I work for a school and some apps are for the school I work at. Those apps have no issues since this update which is good for me. Just hate that any cellphone I get messes up bc of new system update and it gets old very quickly.

Thank you for the help.

I have B20 on two phones.  Did clean factory resets and both phones are working as smooth as silk.  A clean reset takes ten minutes.

So Metro actually told you that the B20 update was messed up and NOT to update. Hahahaha, that's classic. Even though my phone isn't used anymore. I guess I was correct not to update from B12. That one seemed to be the best version. B08 was garbage, they pulled B14 because it was trash, and now Metro recommends against using B20. Your software coders and beta tests with super secret NDAs are awesome. Keep up the great work ZTE.