[How To] Using An SD Card As Internal Storage - ZTE MAX XL

sshasansshasan Z-Community ModeratorNew YorkPosts: 3,428 admin

[How To] Using An SD Card As Internal Storage - ZTE MAX XL

You can use an optional SD card as an extension of the internal storage and save data and media files on it. This requires formatting that erases all data on the card and after that, the card will only work in this phone. If you move the SD card to another device, it needs to be formatted before it can be used.

CAUTION! As part of the internal storage, the SD card may have data on it that is necessary for some apps to function normally. Therefore, do not remove or replace the card randomly.

1. From home, tap Apps  3o6Ztck2gFAL04gOrK - Edited.png  > Settings.

2. Tap Storage.

3. Tap the SD card name below Portable storage.

4. Tap Format as internal, and then tap Erase & format to confirm.

5. The phone will prompt you to move your photos, files, and other data from the phone storage to the SD card. Tap Move now or Move later and tap Next. Follow the onscreen instructions to continue.

Note: If you move files and data to the SD card, it will be used to save new apps data and personal data (such as photos and videos) and only the SD card is accessible from a computer. If you choose not to move, new apps data and personal data is saved to the phone storage and the SD card is not accessible from a computer.

6. Tap Done

Comments

• Can you please send me a link of the exact SD card I can use for internal storage please ...please your help is appreciated

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New YorkPosts: 3,428 admin

@ZtemaxXL2017 said:
    Can you please send me a link of the exact SD card I can use for internal storage please ...please your help is appreciated

You'll actually be fine using pretty much any reputable Micro SD Card. Here is an example of a 32GB Samsung Micro SD Card that is supported: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MP32DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU786/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499172132&sr=1-16&keywords=samsung+micro+sd+card

• AngelaLynneAngelaLynne TexasPosts: 1 ✭✭
    1. The phone will prompt you to move your photos, files, and other data from the phone storage to the SD card. Tap Move now or Move later and tap Next. Follow the onscreen instructions to continue.

The phone did not prompt me. Do you have further instructions?

• AshleyWilson200AshleyWilson200 Little RockPosts: 1 ✭✭

I have a 128gb SD card and it is saying that it's slow after I go through the whole process of internal formatting then it states it's corrupted. I just got this SD card. Is it a reason why this keeps happening. This is my second zte phone and it worked fine in the first one I had.

• bigill34bigill34 Marion ILPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

AshleyWilson200 i am having that same problem.I have a 32 Gb samsung card and it doesnt matter how you format the card as internal or portable storage the phone wont let me move anything to it without corrupting the card and then you cant download anything from the google play store without getting an error message so you then will have to unmount the card in order to download from the play store and then after you get your download you will then have to mount your sd card and then when you do that, you will get a message saying that your card is corrupted so then will have to format the card again therefore losing all of your data from your card and now your back at square one.I think it is useless to put a sd card slot on a phone when you cant even use it,unless ZTE comes out with a update that can fix that.

• southernmama89southernmama89 VirginiaPosts: 2 ✭✭

You have to make sure the microSDXC card is fast enough for the phone. I have been doing my research I'm getting the ZTE Max XL. I suggest either the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS I class 10 100MB/s 64GB to 128GB.

• southernmama89southernmama89 VirginiaPosts: 2 ✭✭

eBay has everything

• ZorstZorst United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

I am very upset with this phone because I am not able to move apps to addon storage. In order to add an app I have to remove an app. And to add insult to injury the phone comes with a lot of apps I don't care to use. So it's memory wasted. Are you ever going to put in a fix for this or do I need to go to a different phone brand to be assured that things will work properly.

• mike100mike100 United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 11:54AM

@southernmama89 said:
    You have to make sure the microSDXC card is fast enough for the phone. I have been doing my research I'm getting the ZTE Max XL. I suggest either the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS I class 10 100MB/s 64GB to 128GB.

I hope you do research before the purchase of the MAX XL, all I am saying is make sure you know about the device, My wife and I had the ZMAX PRO for 2 years and was told by sales person that the Max XL was the "upgrade"or "next gen"to the Max Pro, and it absolutely is NOT. The Max XL does not even compare to the pro max exept in screen size which is the same on both.. I just put new SD card and formatted it to use as internal storage and not one app was able to move over to card and the XL, only has 16 gb of memory compared to 32 gb on the pro max and the pre loaded crap that comes with the XL(on Boost Mobile) is ridiculous. I am not one that complains about things, because I believe if you purchase something "blind" without researching said product then how can you complain? This was my mistake and maybe this can help another from doing the same.

• nihilisticdreamnihilisticdream United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

So I did this, has worked great for about 12 weeks. After my last reboot, the internally formatted card is "missing" and my card suddenly showed as externally formatted. The card reads fine, passes integrity checks, etc.

Why would it spontaneously revert like that?

And to the folks complaining about not being able to move apps: when you format it internally it already moves the apps for you. It seems it as all one big piece rather than phone/SD card.

• deandean United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

What is the advantage of doing this over using sd as external and, moving apps to sd card, changing location of photos, downloads, etc to sd card?

On my phone that uses sd card as internal, it seems the system still wants to use the what was the factorty default internal storage for a lot of things. I get out of storage issues when installing apps from Google Play and the Camera