Stock Contacts to edit in other Apps

Hey All,

I'm finding that I need to keep the stock Contacts app installed when using a different contacts app so that I can update/edit any of my current contacts through the secondary app. Is this an app problem, android problem or Axon problem. I'm using ZenUI contacts as my preferred app. I don't​ ever remember having to do this with previous phones.

-Aaron

Comments

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,330 ✭✭✭

​, ​ is an expert on the ZenUI contacts and Dialer apps, he'll be along soon.  He should be able to answer any questions about the stock app and Zen UI app.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭

Thanks . Expert is quite a stretch. But anyway I use the ZenUI dialer and contacts app also primarily for the  black theme. And yes you do still have to have the system contacts app enabled to edit the contacts. I synchronize my contacts with Gmail so I don't know if that's the reason or if the ZenUI dialer and contacts app are just missing a connection to the system function. I just tested this on the Alcatel Idol 4S and on it you can disable the built-in contacts app and still are able to edit contacts just using the ZenUI dialer and contacts app. So this seems to be the way that ZTE has coded things. At any rate on the Axon 7 the built-in contacts app is only showing 44 KB of system use.

I just tested the same thing with my A7 running Lineage and it's the same as the stock A7. The built-in contacts app needs to be enabled also to edit contacts.

• Thanks! I was hoping it could be re.edies without keeping the original installed. Not a deal breaker by any means. Thanks allot for the clarification.

You're welcome. And I must say that this is just one more example of how well the Alcatel Idol 4S runs. Alcatel has their near stock UI down pat.

• stevec5375stevec5375 Austin, TXPosts: 552 ✭✭

It appears that Alcatel has done it right.  I think it's a bug (or bad design) that you must keep the original Contacts app around.  The whole point of being able to download replaceable apps is just that.  They should be "replaceable".  I think I may have to learn how to code on Android so I don't feel out in the weeds about this stuff. 

I wish that I had the time to learn how to code also and it's pretty clear that ZTE needs some help in that department. I was surprised that the Lineage OS has the same problem. Alcatel could really use a forum like this one. They are like a well kept secret.

• stevec5375stevec5375 Austin, TXPosts: 552 ✭✭

I wrote code for 30+ years and worked in Java since it's inception.  I just never worked anywhere that did Android development.  Now that I'm retired I have all the time in the world to teach myself Android dev. since it's all in Java for app development.  I just can't bring myself to go back to coding again after I left it behind.  I'm rather sick of it.

I actually went to a computer school when computers were first starting in 1967. The languages then were "Basic and Cobol". Everything was done on punch cards. Looking back now I wish that I would have stayed with it.