Axon 7 corrupting microsd cards?

Last few days, my Axon 7 would get very warm and would have a very slow response time.  When I press the power button, it would take several presses and about 10 seconds for the screen to come on.  I thought perhaps an app was causing this so I uninstalled all apps but it still did not fix the issue.  I just happened to try to format the microsd card and the format failed.  I removed it and it seemed to fix the issues I were having.  Now this card is a 128GB Samsung EVO that I have been using for about a year in my previous phone without any issues.  When I bought the Axon 7, I moved the card to it.  For about a month there were no issues.  Now I am wondering if the card failed just out of bad luck or if the Axon 7 phone corrupted it?  Anyone else have their microsd card corrupted by this phone?  I was using it to store my offline playlists from Tidal. 

Comments

• I had this same issue with my Axon 7 and a 128gb Samsung microsd card. I found that removing the card would correct the issues with my Axon 7. As with you, I am unable to format the card.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah for some reason the Samsung Cards utilized on the A7 can corrupt. You can wipe it via Windows.  I was able to do that as i thought i had a crap TF card. 

I installed a Mingsford TF card found on GearBest and tried other cards from PNY, Mizu, Kingston, all 128 GB and even a no name brand and there were no issues just the Samsung for some reason. 

Hope this helps. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using a 64 gb SanDisk card with no issues.

• gattbgattb Voorhees, NJPosts: 3

SanDisk here as well. Never had a problem.

• Thank you, I will use a different brand card.  Glad to know it will work fine with SanDisk as I already have one. 

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Samsung 64gb Evo here. After the last update to the A7 the phone was sluggish. Took the SD card out and phone has been fine ever since. SD card is still good. It just doesn't work with the A7. I chalked it up to another bug with the A7.

• eclipseddkeclipseddk Posts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having the same issue with the SD card I purchased the same time I ordered my phone. After the update from B19 to B25 I took my Samsung Evo 128gb out to have it update and I noticed after the update it was restarting every time I took a picture and went to gallery or file explorer to view it as well as over heating and becoming unresponsive when trying to turn the screen on. Aside from any picture being saved I couldn't format it. It was stuck in a read only state and no software or command on the computer is able to format it. It bums me out that he phone made it a defective card.

Edit: Forgot to mention after every Axon 7 os update I factory reset and clear my cache in the bootloader menu to avoid any awkward bugs.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Samsung 32GB and knock on wood, I haven't had any issues in multiple ZTE devices.  In this case, size appears to matter.

• tinytiny Posts: 3

I also had the problem. A Samsung Evo 128 GB crapped out on me on the 18th of this month. Took it out and the A7 worked great. Put it back in and it and the phone heated up and would not work properly. Took it out again replaced it with a cheaper 32 GB sandisk card and it works like a charm. The PC will read it, open files and pics but will not format. I guess it's time to bite the bullet on this fairly expensive card and take a hammer to the corrupted, unformatable card and leave the Samsung brand in the stores!

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think SD cards and Android are just flakey in general. My daughter has a Moto G3 and her 32GB Samsung uSD card is dead after less than 6 months. She was using it as "adoptable storage".  I can see the partitions in Disk Management on a Windows PC, but I can't delete them or anything. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it useable again.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like there are too many issues with the Samsung SD cards. I've always used SanDisk and never had an issue.

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 245 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good point. I think we'll try Sandisk this time.

I would add to you comment " with the A7." At least in my experience my Samsung card works great in everything but the A7. Including my old phone.

• I thought it was just me! I had a 128GB Samsung EVO card in the phone, and one day (not long after the latest update, which claims to have updated the MicroSD support for 256GB) the phone started acting weird. I removed the card and discovered it had become read-only. I could copy everything from the card (which I did), but I was unable to format, re-partition, or even copy a new file to it. I tried different computers and card readers, but nothing.

I bought a new Sandisk card that is now working without issue.

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was out of the country and was running out of room on my 32GB generic MicroCenter card I had been using in my A7.  I ended up picking up a Chinese card in a little phone shop in Al Khobar Saudi Arabia.  It is a LonDisk 128GB card.  I had never hear of LonDisk, but it has been flawless for 9 months.  I have it full (5GB free) of music and photos.  I can't vouch for every single LonDisk card, but for the SAR130 (Saudi Riyals) (~$35 USD) I can't complain.  I have even transferred it into other phones temporarily, and have never had an issue with it reading or writing. 

They are a a bit higher from Ali Express, but $45 for 128GB shipped to the US isn't bad.

Londisk Micro SD Card 16GB/32GB/64GB/128GB Class10 UHS 1 Flash Memory Card 200gb UHS 3 Microsd For Smartphone Pad camer…

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been having issues with PNY SD cards that I have been using in ZTE devices. I am glad that PNY has replaced the cards with no fuss but considering I am also using Samsung and Sandisk mini sd cards I think the fault is in the brand.

• asianpianomanasianpianoman Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had a 128 GB PNY crap out in my Axon 7. PNY replaced it so that was real nice of them. Who knows if this is PNY, ZTE, or Android's fault? My theory is that when I was trying to save a voice recording, I hit the sleep/wake side button, and some level of software between Android or the ZTE skin interrupted that write in a bad way which disturbed the hardware.

My bet is on ZTE trashing SD cards somehow. I  can't prove it but it is happening way too often on many different brands. Luckily I can still use my Samsung in other things. But the A7 chokes with the card in it.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use a Kingston 32GB U3 card in the A2017U since September 2016 with no issues.

• Add me as another victim of the SD card corruption bug in the Axon 7.  Had a brand new Samsung 128GB SD card. I had updated to the latest build. This week my phone started acting strange.  t was always hot to the touch. The battery would drain in hours not days like before and the buttons on the phone were not responsive.  Got the SD corrupted msg.  Now the card is read only.

What is @ZTEUSA doing about this fatal Bug?? Is this covered under the phone warranty?

• nibiru2012nibiru2012 Austin TXPosts: 343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been using a Samsung Pro Series 64 GB microSDHX card with no issues at all since I received my Axon 7 back in August 2017.

I've had the card for about 3 years and it's always worked flawlessly.

• Any update/news/feedback on this issue?

Because I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms on my A2017G (latest stock B04 build) with a Samsung EVO+ 128Gb card...

• The phone is overheating the cards and make them unusable. I had to buy a Samsung 64 Pro which is temp resistance and is performing well.

• Mmm,thanks for replying, but is that a (personal) theory or actually based on something/someone?

Because my card is a Samsung EVO+ and they can endure temperatures from -25° to 85° Celsius too... See Micro SD EVO+ 128GB Memory Card w/ Adapter Memory & Storage - MB-MC128DA/AM | Samsung US

• For those with the same issue, did you remove the card before doing the OTA upgrade to B04?

I did not and apparently ZTE now recommends it in the release notes or something?

Just trying to pinpoint a root cause...

• boriskuborisku GermanyPosts: 1

With My Axon 7 i had massive problems using differnt sd cards: while usin´g the Axon i killed 2 SD Cards, both sundisk: one with 128gb und one with 200gb... i didnt remove the sd while upgrading to b04, but now i have AICP on my axon...

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 64GB Samsung card in mine since I bought my Axon 7 when it was first released.  No problems.  It's nowhere near full though, I honestly don't even need it, but always nice to have just in case.

• My phone has been working fine since I have taken out the microSD card.  I haven't tried another brand inside of it yet.  I love the phone however there are 2 major known issues: 1) Bluetooth Metadata and 2) SD card compatibility.  A minor issue is that when the screen turns off, the music stop playing.  This happens randomly and not every time. 

• I did indeed take my card out during the last upgrade, as recommended.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 150 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using a Sandisk 200GB SD card with no issues, at least so far. This card was formerly in my ZMAX Pro, and although it was bigger than the published rating it worked perfectly. Prior to that I tried a cheaper brand and the SD card gave me trouble. I returned it to Amazon.