Axon 7 corrupting microsd cards?

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scottle said:

@SGTDRE said:

@dnewman007 said:
    Sounds like there are too many issues with the Samsung SD cards. I've always used SanDisk and never had an issue.

Can you please provide a link to the the Sandisk Card or does it make a difference? I found a couple that are rated to handle High quality 4k video and good transfer speeds such as this one here.

I would love to know which SanDisk SD cards work well? Please let us know! I'd love to buy one I had to revert back to my 32GB and am like .25 GBs nearly running out of space left for pictures. May just buy one of the SanDisk 128 GB microSD cards and try them out.

I am using SanDisk Extreme Plus 64gb micro XC. I've been using it in my A7 for a year. I have wiped and reformatted it several times in the phone.

• SGTDRESGTDRE Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@scottle said:

@SGTDRE said:

@dnewman007 said:
    Sounds like there are too many issues with the Samsung SD cards. I've always used SanDisk and never had an issue.

Can you please provide a link to the the Sandisk Card or does it make a difference? I found a couple that are rated to handle High quality 4k video and good transfer speeds such as this one here.

I would love to know which SanDisk SD cards work well? Please let us know! I'd love to buy one I had to revert back to my 32GB and am like .25 GBs nearly running out of space left for pictures. May just buy one of the SanDisk 128 GB microSD cards and try them out.

I am using SanDisk Extreme Plus 64gb micro XC. I've been using it in my A7 for a year. I have wiped and reformatted it several times in the phone.

Thank you for that info I do appreciate it very much, Cheers.

• jairococunubocastellanosjairococunubocastellanos Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 1:49PM

I still don't know what you mean by "corrupted", rendered useless?
    In my case, a reputable Lexar 128GB was turned to "write protect" which made it unformattable in the phone and in a Windows 8.1 PC. In the phone is not recognized but in the PC can only be read what was recorded therein before the incident.

• jonspencerjonspencer 1985Posts: 1 ✭✭

I am having the same issue with Samsung EVO 128BG cards. I even sent one back to Samsung but it must be the phone. I hope that the problem will be resolved. I'll try a different brand of card.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 8:27PM

I just encountered this with my Samsung Evo 64GB card on Vertex OS. My phone wouldn't boot and I couldn't get into TWRP until I took it out and put it back in. Since it worked after I put it back in, it has to be a driver problem with the phone and not the card. ZTE really needs to fix this.

• anurag1212anurag1212 Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 9:29AM

My 32 gig Samsung EVO+ is the latest victim of the SD card hungry A7. Now, inserting the card messes up phone operation, with stuttering, apps not opening and the screen taking 10 secs to unlock each time. The card is now read-only locked, on PC as well as other phones.

Formatting on android get stuck at 20%, and throws a toast that a user (@razor512) over here mentioned correctly.

Time to get technical and figure out whether the card can be saved. flexes fingers

• alferalfer Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭✭

No issues using Sandisk cards.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the card has an issue, then see if you can do a warranty replacement, the vast majority of micro SD cards on the market, come with a 10 year warranty.

Usually if a card goes into write protect mode for any reason, it will behave in a strange way where the NAND controller will accept writes, but it will not actually write the data to the NAND, thus the smartphone will freak out when attempting to write any data to it, and not finding the data it just tried to write.

Sometimes the issue can just be a corrupt file system, where most or all of the data is still in tact and can be backed up before doing a complete reformat on a PC, and in other cases, the SOC in the card may have decided to go into a read only mode, in which case, all of the data is still completely readable, but there is no way to enable writing again since the low level functions of the card are only controllable through a weird proprietary interface on some cards that they eventually cover up using the plastic housing of the card.

Anyway, the main cards that seem to fail in the Axon 7, are the Samsung evo cards, and I have not had any Sandisk cards fail in the Axon 7.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2018 5:47PM

I am using a SanDisk - Ultra Plus 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Memory Card and haven't had any issues, yet and hopefully I don't..

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using a SanDisk and have never had an issue.

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok people please buy SanDisk they work

• TGstringTGstring TorontoPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

wondering how many of you with "corrupted" cards are not specifically SDHC as suggested in the owner's manual?

I have a samsung 32GB SDHC and it hasn't caused me any grief yet as of day one...

perhaps you all can check and see?

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another person with a dead Samsung SD card. I've had 2 or 3 die on me. The latest one died in my Axon mini, about a year old. Others I had were being used with Moto phones.
    Anyone know of Samsung will replace them if you send them somewhere? I'm a little hesitant to though to protect any lingering personal info.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Samsung will replace the cards, when you do an RMA with them, they will ask for the number, or a photo of the number on the back of the card, then once they have that, they will provide a return label that you can print out(often a UPS shipping label). Once they receive the card, they will mail out a brand new replacement.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@TGstring said:
    wondering how many of you with "corrupted" cards are not specifically SDHC as suggested in the owner's manual?

I have a samsung 32GB SDHC and it hasn't caused me any grief yet as of day one...

It's pretty difficult to buy an SD card that's not SDHC.

Not sure I follow?
    do you mean it's hard to find an SD that is SDHC or isn't SDHC?

I find most cards today are SD X something or other...and that it's harder to find SDHC actually...

yeah,
    I get all that,
    but my point was that the owner's manual mentions SDHC card usage,
    and,
    there are SDHC cards that are >32GB
    so, i was wondering if those that have issues with their corrupting cards are using SDHC cards or not

@jimlloyd40 said:

@TGstring said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@TGstring said:

It's pretty difficult to buy an SD card that's not SDHC.

Not sure I follow?
    do you mean it's hard to find an SD that is SDHC or isn't SDHC?

I find most cards today are SD X something or other...and that it's harder to find SDHC actually...

@TGstring if you go to Amazon and search "micro SD card" you will see that almost all SD cards are either SDHC or SDXC. SDHC is "secure digital high capacity" and XC is micro SD cards that are larger than 32 GB's.

• ntotrrntotrr Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2018 6:23PM

This isn't a new issue and is not just with Samsung cards. I've had two Transcend 128GB cards that became write-protected over the course of the almost year-old and-a-half I've the Axon 7. The first time it happened when I did an OTA OS update and didn't take the card out prior to doing it. The second time came when I tried to use a card that was being used in my wife's Huawei. After putting the card in my Axon 7, I tried to format it and then it became write-protected.

• raggedyedgeraggedyedge Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any indication that the issue is resolved with recent update. I have "write-protected" four or five SD cards. Sandisk, Samsung, and PNY and have retreated to using the phone without an SD card. Seeking a reason to give it another go.

• I got the european axon 7 two weeks ago and installed a kingston 64gb card. Although I don't have any of the slowdown or lockup problems mentioned here, one peculiar thing did happen, which got me searching and found this thread. I copied a few dozen music albums on mp3 on the card. For a week all was fine, but suddenly I started noticing some audio glitches and blimps during playback. I was certain the files were originally ok (and cross-checked, indeed the files on my pc are fine) and some the the glitched tracks had played fine originally on the phone too. So either my Kingston is problematic or my shiny new A7 is slowly killing it. Anyone else with corrupt audio files?

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have owned quite a number of smartphones that accepted a microSD card and not a single one of them had the problems being reported in this thread. It is very suspect to say the least. Once corrupted are the cards ever usable again? If not, can they be low-level reformatted and made to work?

• lazereaglelazereagle Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:
    I have owned quite a number of smartphones that accepted a microSD card and not a single one of them had the problems being reported in this thread. It is very suspect to say the least. Once corrupted are the cards ever usable again? If not, can they be low-level reformatted and made to work?

I've had this problem with 3 different cards in my Axon 7. The first one was completely dead, and I couldn't reformat. The other two, I pulled out and reformatted as soon as I noticed the phone slowing down/acting weird, and I was able to save them. Not sure if I got lucky, or if it's a progressive thing that gets worse over time.

• raggedyedgeraggedyedge Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a Sandisk SDHC 32gb card. Put it in my phone, and within two weeks I started getting excessive heat and glitchy performance. Removed card and all seems well. None of my previous phones had this problem, but I now use my phone in far more demanding ways so the comparison may be unfair.

• jazzijazzi Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It seems that the "issue" is also affecting Sandisk cards although they have been reported here as being largely immune. I have a 32 GB Sandisk micro-SD card with 22.9 GB free and its now corrupted. Both the phone and card were first used in mid-January 2017.

I first noticed a problem about 2 weeks ago while recording video - nothing more than 3 minutes in duration and I had only been recording for about 7-10 minutes. The phone became uncomfortably hot and the camera app locked up. This was followed soon afterwards with Nova Launcher crashing which resulted in an unresponsive black screen.

The phone was restarted after holding the power button for over 30 seconds and I tried recording again. The problems above were repeated. Leaving the phone off for a couple of hours appeared to have resolved the problems. I also set my camera saving location to the phone's internal storage.

Yesterday however I noticed attempts to save some screenshots resulted in unable to save error messages. I attempted various possible solutions - app cache and cache partition clearing, enabling three finger pinch gesture to capture screenshots and deleting my most recently installed apps. No joy.

While navigating the phone's file system, I noticed that the screenshot saving location was the SD card. Changing that to the phone's internal storage made saving screenshots possible once more.

Today I decided to remove the card from the phone and reinserted it but it suddenly became unrecognisable. It simply did not appear in the file manage. Repeated re-insertions yielded the same result.

I then moved the card to my laptop and a message about errors with the card resulted. I tried the Windows 10 built-in repair tool but it reported that there still errors that it could not repair.

Howvever the phone was now able to see the card along with the file system's contents but nothing could be added or deleted.

Formatting the card in the phone reported a successful operation but curiously, the previously used 6.75 GB was untouched. Three more formatting runs and those files and directories still remained untouched and readable. Apparently some sort of "ROM" area containing the stored contents has been created.

Attemping to format in Windows 10 resulted in an Windows was unable to complete the format. I haven't bothered trying to format using my Linux setup.

The card is readable in Windows but nothing can be added or removed. Formatting on the phone still reports success but the 6.75 GB of stored content remains untouched. Attempted to add anything via the phone unto the card results in a SD card has no more space message even though 22.9 GB is still reported as being free.

I guess its bye bye to that card :smile:. Thankfully I had all my stuff backed up.