Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How do you use mobile payments?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 3,989 admin

You see it everywhere these days... Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Android Pay

But is it here to stay?

Consumer Labs wants to know

How Do You Use Mobile Payments

1. How often do you use mobile payments? Do you use them on a regular basis?
  2. What payment method do you use? (Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay)
  3. Are you satisfied with the current state of mobile payments?
  4. What concerns or expectations do you have for mobile payments?
  5. Let us know the names of retail stores that you've used mobile payments at.

Don't leave out any details

Your comments, thoughts and concerns help shape the future.

Comments

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I don't trust mobile payments to handle my day to day transactions yet. I rather use my chip on my credit card to handle all my transactions. I give it a year to evolve to see how it goes. I am funny when it comes to trusting technology to handle my payments. But I do have my card stored on Android Pay and I use it for quick transactions like getting gas, gum, or shopping in a local retail store when I don't feel like pulling out the credit card. The main reason I stopped using mobile payments because my Oneplus 2 doesn't have NFC. With the release of the Axon 7 I will be returning back to using Android pay. It's very convenient and easy to use.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

"Nerve Center All Things You!"  Your Style, Your Passion, Your Performance.

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. How often do you use mobile payments? Do you use them on a regular basis?
      1. I do not use mobile payments yet.  My current phone does not have NFC.
    2. What payment method do you use? (Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay)
      1. If i were to choose, it would be Android pay.
    3. Are you satisfied with the current state of mobile payments?
      1. Enough to want to use it. I don't feel any less secure using mobile pay than I do any other form of credit card payment or online paying. But there is ALWAYS room for improvement.
    4. What concerns or expectations do you have for mobile payments?
      1. Concerns would be security security security. Expectations would be seamless integration anywhere I can use a credit card.
  • frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How often do you use mobile payments? Do you use them on a regular basis?

1. I do not use mobile payments.  Although my current phone does support NFC, it became a pain in the booty to use as you have to set the phone to use it. At the time, there aren't many places to use this in my area and the banks i use do not support it as of yet.
    1. What payment method do you use? (Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay)
      1. When i tried it, I used Android pay.
    2. Are you satisfied with the current state of mobile payments?
      1. I prefer making payments or purchases via PayPal or by a prepaid card like Simple i actually like google Wallet with the card. I don't feel any less secure using mobile pay than I do any other form of credit card payment or online paying. But there is ALWAYS room for improvement.
    3. What concerns or expectations do you have for mobile payments?
      1. The biggest concern is Security! Seamless integration would be what puts me over the edge to attempt to use again.
  • runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1 & 2. I don't use mobile payment often, but I do have it setup on my iPhone 6S. I also tried Samsung Pay when I had a trial device from Samsung when they were letting people try out their device for a month for $1.

3. At this state of mobile payment, it isn't too great since not all retailers and grocery stores accept mobile payment, for example, Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc. do not accept any of the mobile payment system, with the exception of Samsung Pay since Samsung phone have MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) that allows their form of payment work almost anywhere. I've tried it once and was surprise to see it work at a grocery store that didn't have NFC or anything built into the card reader at that time. Out of the three payment method, I prefer Samsung Pay since it should work with most places when having NFC and MST, but wish more phone had it.

4. I'm not too concern about mobile payment. I'm for it, love using technology to buy things. Security-wise, it seems to be secure enough and I don't see any major report of security breaches at the moment.

I guess at this time since not many place accept mobile payment, I would only use mobile payment when there are some sort of promotion going on. Back then, Discover had a great deal where they offered 10% cashback on anything when using Apple Pay for ~2 or 3 months. But since the promotion ended, I rarely use mobile payment.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not use a mobile payment application at all. Maybe it's my age or my background but I prefer to have more of a sense of engagement with my purchasing. Sometimes I feel like pay apps and even paypal take some of the thought process and logic out of the buying process and you become detached. It's like going to Vegas and getting chips. Chips are not really money right????? well, right up until you don't have anymore.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Samsung pay has been easier than using any card I've ever had, and ease of use is definitely why it's popular with everyone over just NFC options.

That said Android pay is definitely on the up, probably just needs more integration and also deals to support it.

I also not worried about information being stolen as I usually keep the NFC off unless I need it, and the chances of someone hugging my leg to take the data off of it to begin with is very little.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,248 mod

I have tried it a few times but mainly stick to my credit cards.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,989 admin

What type of incentives or deals would you like to see offered for using Android Pay?

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Not yet, too many horror stories out. When it becomes more secure perhaps I will migrate to android pay, that being said however I will sitll carry around a physical wallet. Nothing worse than dropping your phone, having it run out of juice or something else and then not be able to pay for anything

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either timed deals for the first few users (i.e. 5$ giftcard at starbucks for the first 777 users etc.) or longterm points for certain promotions, discounts, or items - within reason.

While points systems backfire but on some platforms, when you suddenly have to spend actual money to accrue some of the points (at places usually spend at like McD, 7/11, American Eagle, Gap, etc.) then it could potentially work to promote longterm usage in the same way frequent flyer miles work.

Another idea that popped into my head is just having cashback for certain retailers that are popular with the general population that uses Android Pay. Sure it might cost a bit initially, but eventually it would balloon in userbase similar to Samsung Pay.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Android Pay all the time and before that, I used to use Google Wallet. This two payment system never let me down. Now there are so many payment systems such as paypal, & venmo and it is turning out to be pain in the neck for Google, Samsung and iApple (lol). Moreover, Google released another form of payment app called "Hands Free" currently only works in California.

I wish there were more stores that used it in my area.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are You talking about Hands-free, correct?

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I only use paypal, well unless you count amazon gift cards as payment. I just don't see a need for to change up yet.

Yes

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do not currently use any mobile payments.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have used mobile payments occasionally (Android Pay and its previous incarnations), but mostly for the novelty of the experience or to get a discount. Who could possibly be satisfied with the current state of mobile payments? It's dismal. There is a serious chicken-egg problem: mobile payments aren't going to catch on until they're widely available enough that you can leave your wallet at home, and they're never going to be that widely available until more people start using them. It doesn't help that there are fifteen different competing services that all use different kinds of technology. On the other hand, I think it will catch on someday, and I wouldn't think of buying a phone without NFC if only to be ready for that feature.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And, since Walmart got their new payment system installed in all their US stores as of yesterday, it's only going to become more convoluted.

Talk about a one stop shop for everything... now they have to have their own payment method.

Walmart gives me anxiety .

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My wife also. From what I read yesterday, it might be a pretty good system. More along the lines of Samsung's. I did check my Walmart app and it's there. Haven't decided to add my card yet though. 

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. I use some form of mobile payment at least once a week.

2. I use Android Pay and a smartphone app called Cumberland Farms Smart Pay (it uses data, saved payment info and GPS to locate the gas station you're at and authorize a pump at a .10/gal discount).

3. I am satisfied but I wish they were even more mainstream. It can feel a bit funny when you go to pay and take out your phone. If there's a line, you worry you'll hold it up. You feel more likely to run into a problem if the technology fails or the cashier is unfamiliar with it.

4. My concern would be that with it's widespread use, it may get targeted more by "bad guys" and possibly lead to fraud or loss for consumers. I'm not too concerned but it is always a possibility. I expect it to catch on further.

5. I've used it at Cumberland Farms (Android pay and their app) and even McDonald's (don't eat there much, see my profile pics). I've attempted it at Subway unsuccessfully but that could've been their equipment. I plan to use it more in the future.

How is the cumbys app?

Someone else who calls it Cumby's.

The app is very good. You enroll your bank account and get .10 off per gallon. It authorizes the pump quickly and if it can't find your location, you input the 4 digit store number found all over the place on the pumps. Put in the pump number you're at and in seconds it's ready to pump. No skimmers to worry about and you get an e-mail receipt later in the day.

As a side benefit, they give you free stuff for every 30 gallons you pump. I've gotten free drinks (Diet Mt. Dew) and other stuff.

okay cool, I'm going to download it and yes we northeasterners have one name for it, cumbys lol. Nothing beats their $1 coffee either.

The process to get it going can be a pain in the butt because they want to prevent identity theft but it's worth it.

• mb2xmb2x Greenville, SCPosts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the option to use Android pay-or had- until it deleted my card because (I guess) I never used it. I was excited when Android pay came out. However, I never once used it. It's  very convenient option to pay though. Especially if you forget your card.

• phydeuxphydeux Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Android Pay exclusively, and probably 3-5 times a week.  Unfortunately not enough vendors are updating their software to accept it, despite having hardware capable of NFC payments.  I'm not sure if this is a cost issue or an integration issue, or both, but the payment systems need to invest in making it attractive to vendors.  (Especially Walmart since I've heard they're none too happy with how slow the chips are!)

Also, device manufacturers, both for POS terminals AND phones, need to get on the same page about where their transmitters and receivers are located.  AND telling users where they are! 

My previous phone had the transmitter at the bottom edge, my new Axon 7 has it in the middle.

Some terminals have their receiver a the top of the screen, others on the bottom left next to the keypad, while still others have a dedicated receiver attached separately.

Some have the "Paywave" emblem to indicate where the sensor is, others don't.

Many have the sensor but not the programming.

And some vendors' software aren't configured properly, such as if you have a VISA Debit card the reader should NOT attempt to process it as a debit transaction, it should be a VISA transaction as most banks will decline a debit transaction via NFC.

My expectations are more standardization of design, easier identification of sensors on both sides, and more enforced adoption by vendors of all payment forms.  If they can take a swipe, they should also be set up to take a chip and a phone.

Places used:  McDonald's, Walgreens, Murphy's Deli, Exxon, Quik Trip, and a lot more I can't remember right off.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Since I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge back in November, I exclusively use Samsung Pay and love it. It seems to work on most terminals, about 85% of the time, have to love their MST feature, as it's not just relying on NFC like Android Pay and Apple Pay. Most of the time when I bring out the phone and say "I'm going to use my phone to pay"; the clerk will usually responds, "Apple Pay doesn't work..." or "we don't think mobile payment works..."; but when I show them when using Samsung Pay, they are usually surprise about it and didn't know that Samsung Pay works on most terminals

Places I've used it: McDonald's, Walmart, Target, Costco, Best Buy, Safeway, and some other grocery stores and restaurants/snack shops.

This discussion has been closed.