Using Google Maps & Leaving Phone at Home

Can I use google maps to navigate with directions without having my cell phone on me? I want to use my watch to navigate a cross town bike ride, but I want to leave my phone at home.

Best Answer

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Yes the watch has its own GPS and you can use maps on it. Sorry to say it appears like Google hasn't made Maps a standalone app on the watch. As when you try to navigate somewhere it requires you to check your phone for instructions.

Answers

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the watch has its on GPS so let me tag a few who have the watch and can assist you further

​ & ​ &

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, kftopier

jasone is correct here. You would still need the phone to assist you with pulling the navigation information. You can use the watch to browse the google map and the cellular connectivity will let you pull map information. However, you would still need the phone to plan the route. I think the watch CPU power and storage space is not enough for doing real time navigation. If you are doing cross-town trip, it would probably be safer to have a phone with you just in case:).

I did a bit search and found a few apps in the play store that can help with to do gps tracking for bike rides and such (like Ride with GPS) that would be handy if you just wish to log your trip. I have yet to find one that can do navigation just on the watch alone.

• Thanks! both of you have cleared up my confusion about this function! Wish I didn't need my phone for navigation, but good to know, so I can stop trying to use the feature in that way