axon 7 mini disappointing sound from headphones

sukiluvsukiluv chicagoPosts: 2

someone please tell me something...please....i bought an gold axon 7 mini B2017B mainly to listen to my tunes because of the well advertised built in dac...upon listening to it i am bummed.  my ipod touch and shuffle 4g sounds worlds better.  even my moto z, samsung note edge and iphone 4s sound better.  now the front facing speakers are great.  i let go of my moto x pure for THIS....i have toggled the sound enhancements and all that..still my headphones sound bland...i have ath m50x, harman kardon bt, beats pro, phiaton bridge, vmoda lp2, skullcandy heavy medal, klipsch s4 and all sound better with the apple products which i was hoping t get rid of by buying this phone. as of today it says i have the latest software...whats really going on.......

Answers

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 7,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello ​, first thing, just want to verify the model number.  Are you sure it's B2017B and if so, where did you purchase it?  Second, I assume by "toggled the sound enhancements and all that" you mean you have experimented with the Dolby Atmos settings? If not that's where you need to start adjusting. 

Thanks!

• sukiluvsukiluv chicagoPosts: 2

thanks for your response Hollap.   mistyped model number...its B2017G...bought from bestbuy....yeah i have been  on xda and googled around to mess with settings on phone...no luck

some one did tell me to go back to previous os version though. 

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If using the dolby atmos enhancements, you have to double click on some of the modes, and disable things like the volume leveler (which is bad for music and I am not sure why they enable it by default).

Beyond that, using the music profile and adjusting the equalizer can work well. PS for headphones, the "Movie" preset which dolby atmos is set to by default, is the second worst sounding profile for all audio types, with the worst being "Game" Both of those modes effectively kill the bass and treble, and boost the mid tones.

The Music preset is more balanced, though the volume leveler needs to be turned off since it will cause unwanted behavior with music.

The surround virtualizer can be enabled or disabled depending on your preference and the headphone types. It could improve audio a little bit on headphones that are closed back and have a tight fit, but cause audio to sound weird on headphones that are completely open back and naturally have a wide sound stage.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that turning Dolby off and using the equalizer in the paid version of Power Amp sounds a lot better. Maybe you can try that in whatever music player you use.

• I use power amp too. It sounds way better than the stock music player. Although you can't use the Dolby Atmos if you use power amp. I know it sucks but I think it is way better than using the stock music player with the dolby atmos turn on.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 7,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard people have had good luck with Black Player too.  Its hard to tell if Dolby is working with these apps because if you change the Dolby settings you definitely hear a sound change. But whether or not it's actually "Dolby" or using the hardware DAC, who knows?

• OverkillOverkill RomaniaPosts: 15 ✭✭✭

Next time read before buy , only axon 7 have dedicated Dac chip. Axon 7 mini have ordinary Dac. Akm 4490 dedicated chip is only on Axon 7.

• OverkillOverkill RomaniaPosts: 15 ✭✭✭

New mixer_paths.xml changes only for Axon 7 mini with rr 5.8.5 os and trust me is more louder than standard Axon 7.
    "[email protected]" and olso need viper4android to lower the gate.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Use the standard headphone amplifier. The "high quality" amplifier has a high impedance output that results in significant distortion and tonal coloring with normal headphones. It's marginally good for high impedance headphones but it's best left for line level output to an amplifier.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Use the standard headphone amplifier. The "high quality" amplifier has a high impedance output that results in significant distortion and tonal coloring with normal headphones. It's marginally good for high impedance headphones but it's best left for line level output to an amplifier.