[Android Tips] Shortcut all the things!

Call me lazy but I like shortcuts. My fav android tip is instead of placing a simple shortcut on your homescreen, try a folder of common actions for that app instead. I use this technique for my speeddials, navigation, google play music stations, etc. Allow me to demonstrate why I find this useful:

In place of my "Phone" button, I have a folder with direct dial links to my fav contacts. I still have the normal phone app in there too but 99% of the time, I don't need it.

Speeddial.jpg

Here is my chrome button replaced with a folder of bookmarks

bookmarks.png

And of course navigation

navigate.png

Google play music

music.png

Anyway, you get the idea. It's probably obvious to most of you how to do this but in case it's not, here is an FAQ.

How to create a folder? > drag and drop one icon onto another (whatever you drop onto will become your folder icon)

How to create a direct dial shortcut? > there is a direct dial widget under the "Contacts" category (see also: direct message)

One-touch navigation? > directions widget under maps category

Bonus tip > dig through the Nova launcher "activities" widget for a ton of other stuff (other launchers have similar action libraries) or dive into tasker intents for more advanced users

Anyways, I hope this is helpful for someone out there!