Foldable Phone can double as a Tablet

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Expected release in January next year

Currently being tested in China

Handset will have a bendy plastic display

I think we all like a phone with a large screen,but need the size to fit in our hand and pockets.

There's an expected release of a phone that folds in two like a book and for sale next year, from what rumors express.

According to some news sites the product is known behind closed doors as a 'smartlet' and has a 7inch screen unfolded, and becomes a 5inch device when folded up.

Samsung is expected to release a new handset that folds in two like a notebook as early as January next year. A screenshot from a conceptual video showing what the device may look like is pictured

A screenshot from a conceptual video showing what the device may look like is pictured

The start of mass producing the "smartlet" is for this year for a 2017 release and there has been three years invested developing the technology.

It is Dubbed "Foldable Valley". The device is set to take advantage of bendy plastic screens being developed.

According to those in the know, things are progressing as scheduled. 

We shall see in January 2017.

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,954 admin

Do you remember the attempt that Kyocera made with the Echo...

kyocera_echo_04.jpg

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes actually I do!!!  It was an interesting phone but didn't sell well...

This however may sell like hotcake!!!!

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that too.  thought at the time crazy but cool. 

Now i'm like wow.  My concern though is durability.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,244 mod

I had one for a short while and sold it, did not have a good experience, and it came apart on me once. Was under warranty and then got rid of it.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,244 mod

This phone shows a lot of promise. I watched a few youtube videos of where Samsung was going with flexible displays and how they might be implemented. Nice to finally see something concrete coming to the masses.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Oppo have their own prototype now.