Ubuntu Phones

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Article content quoted from Ubuntu's website.  Features | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

It's Features

Ubuntu’s scopes give you related content on one screen, instead of hiding it behind different apps. So everything you look for in life is now right at your fingertips.

Introducing scopes

Ubuntu’s scopes are like individual home screens for different kinds of content, giving you access to everything from movies and music to local services and social media, without having to go through individual apps.

Scope Roulette gives you a chance to learn more about scopes, and along the way there’s the chance to win Ubuntu Phone related prizes.

Various scopes on phones

Everything you expect

Ubuntu Phone includes all the smartphone essentials, crafted with breathtaking attention to detail. From edges that enable you to navigate faster to details like the striking clock face, nothing has been overlooked in the quest for mobile perfection.

Phone screen examples

The Ubuntu Store

You can choose from a wide range of scopes and apps in the Ubuntu Store from partners such as Time Out, Twitter and Euronews. All of these and many more are available for download in just a few taps.

Ubuntu Phone lineup

Ubuntu Phone is available on a growing range of commercial handsets.

Ubuntu phones lineup

This is the main phone they are endorsing at the moment:

The all new Meizu Pro 5

• 5.7inch 1080p screen with a re-tuned delta cool color AMOLED screen
  • Corning Gorilla Glass 3 with improved damage resistance and toughness
  • 21.16 megapixel rear-facing camera with PDAF phase laser-assisted focusing and LARGAN 6P lenses for improved resolution
  • 5 megapixel front-facing camera
  • Hi-Fi Sound
  • 32GB of internal memory
  • 3GB RAM
  • 8 core Exynos 7420 processor and MALI T760 GPU
  • Slots for two micro-SIM cards for phone use across multiple networks
  • Dimensions: 156.7 x 78 x 7.5mm
  • Weight: 168g

Meizu Pro 5

and secondary contender:

BQ Aquaris E5 HD

• 5 inch Capacitive multi-touch screen with 5 simultaneous-detection points
  • Dragontrail glass for scratch and impact resistance
  • 13 megapixel camera with autofocus and dual flash
  • 16 GB internal memory with MicroSD slot for extra storage (up to 32GB)
  • Dimensions 142 x 71 x 8.65mm
  • Weight: 134g
  • Full HD (1080p) camera for super-sharp video recording
  • Slots for two micro-SIM cards for phone use across multiple networks

BQ Aquaris E5

Pretty nice phones, yet my main concern is how well they would adapt here in the States.

I am curious if ZTE has considered jumping on this.

I think a better question is is it worth looking into it? Will it become popular, given the struggles Windows is having trying to make a considerable footprint in an already saturated iOS and Android industry?

Would you consider buying one to try out?

What are your thoughts, reservations, concerns?

My opinion is that it could possibly turn Novelty instead of mainstream.  Although it sounds appealing could there be a real market for a device like this here in the states?

Only time will tell if it will become popular or just a fad.

Comments

• d3cimatord3cimator New York CityPosts: 4

The popularity of these phones would have to depend on the Ubuntu store in my opinion. If it doesn't offer the essential apps which are available on other platforms, I personally wouldn't buy it.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is my main thought on that as well.  As much as it sounds cool would it be viable?

Thank you for commenting.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I love my ubuntu desktop, in fact i'm typing on it now lol, but if i'm going to make a serious phone commitment it better have the essentials at least. If not then no sale for me.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to me that Ubuntu is going to remain a niche thing. Just my non-expert opinion.

• markstrootmarkstroot Terre HautePosts: 107

Seems interesting having the apps all within your fingertips and that it will flow well together

I agree, like those last few remaining loyal blackberry people.

Your thoughts on BB putting Android on their last flagship?

I think it's fantastic, i played around with it for a bit and it's wicked fun. I just think that they should have started out a little lower on pricing. I mean sorry your first android flagship can't be as much as an s7

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's for sure.  Especially since it's not as mainstream as Android or even Windows.

exactly especially when you are just trying to regroup and bring your brand back.

Very true. I think the BB brand is built around BBM and security. Having Android on their phones make them more vulerable dont you think? Do you see BB surviving?

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

I think it won't last.

Ubuntu phones are not that great compared to other mobile OS, unlike desktop OS which is great.

Yup, I agree.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

I agree with you, I have an older desktop running Ubuntu and I do like it. But with non of the essential offerings I would have to pass for now.

They still exist??????????????????

Yes, the concept is good.