Google Play suggests unused apps should be uninstalled

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Running out of internal memory on your smartphone?

This was the case years ago when smartphones didn’t come with 64 or 128GB of on-board storage, and keeping files and apps in the cloud wasn’t really a thing yet. Running out of space constantly, the Google Play Store will soon give suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Out of space.jpg

For instance, from the Play Store, try to download an app or game, and are immediately greeted with a “not enough storage space” prompt. You’ll then have to go into your settings and try to figure out which apps you should delete we've all been there right? Not anymore. The Play Store is getting a new Uninstall Manager feature that will intelligently suggest neglected apps and games that you should delete.  Play Store will show you what you haven’t used in awhile, and you’ll also be able to delete those apps right from that menu.

apps-downloaded.jpg

Unfortunately, no word has been given as to when this new feature will roll out to everyone, it looks like it will start sometime in the near future. Has there been an opportunity to experience the new feature?  I like to know your thoughts.

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty smart of Google to show what apps that you're not using much and suggesting you to uninstall to free up space. I like that idea. Don't think any of my Android phone have that update yet though. It's especially handy for those with small amount of storage phones or the "low-end" phones where it is mostly 8gb or 16gb of storage.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

This is good news, but nextbit is already doing it + a backup in the cloud.

Nextbit is indeed doing it in their own way of backing up into the cloud and I also do like that attempt but doesn't seem like it will go mainstream anytime soon. It's an unique approach to free up space. But can be data consuming if you do not have WiFi everywhere and rely on your phone network from time to time.

But it won't work in the 3rd world, as Upload speeds are just as slow as turtles.

It will just take time to upload in some parts of the world when on WiFi. Even in America, not everyone have fast Internet (home) as the backup mainly works on WiFi, but could be changed to run on cellular, though it's not a wise idea due to limited data from carriers usually.

Yes, this is why this idea won't be widespread in the near future.