iMessage for Android

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

imessage.png

The Apple rumor mill has been steadily turning. The latest whisper is that iMessage, Apple’s hitherto iOS-only messaging app, is finally coming to Android.

Quoting a source “familiar with the company’s thinking,”said an announcement will be made at the WWDC keynote on Monday.

While Apple has always stepped away from launching its apps for Android, it has relaxed in the company’s stance, launching, for example, Apple Music for Android last year and taking its music app beyond iOS was a way of testing the water for similar moves in the future.

Of course revenue generation may be at the root of this move, keep in mind that reports earlier this year suggested Apple is considering incorporating new services into its messaging app, such as the ability for users to make payments to one another. Considering this, launching iMessage on Android could mark the start of some big changes for the company’s chat app as it seeks to increase its functionality in a way that could ultimately allow it to rake in even more cash from users.

With so many massively popular cross-platform messaging apps already available, perhaps this is a now-or-never moment for Apple. It already seems a bit late to try to persuade people to load up yet another chat service, though if it can persuade users of iMessage’s supposed security benefits and introduce genuinely useful features, it may have a chance.

This claim at this time is considered “rumor.” Yet, there are those that insist the app is “definitely” launching on Android this year, Monday we will know for sure.

What are your thoughts on this?

Smiles.jpg

Comments

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I seriously hope this happens, it was the one thing i missed about ios and i'd pay for it to get it back.

• dasm1078dasm1078 OrlandoPosts: 157

I have never tried iMessage wouldn't mind trying it out on my Android. It's funny because Google makes Apps for IOS but seems like Apple won't give in and make Apps for Android.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Interesting.  iMessage is one of the reasons why my sister would like me to get an iPhone.  I wonder if FaceTime will be next?  That would almost completely eliminate her objections to my going Android.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh.. Yet another messaging app.  There are too many closed wall messaging apps on Android.  And even more text messaging apps.  My favortie named app is YAATA (Yet Another Android Texting App).

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking forward for iMessage on Android, just because some of the people I know only have iMessage and do not have regular text message plans, so mainly relying on iMessage and would require an iOS device or MacBook to communicate with them. It is nice to see that Apple might be expanding iMessage to Android. It is also convenient for those who switches phone often, from iPhone to an Android phone vice versa. It used to be that iMessage stays active when you switch phones when you didn't turn off iMessage in the settings, causing some of the messages people send to you not received, but if it's a cross-platform messaging app, then it would be convenient for those who switches phones and didn't remember to turn off iMessage or now being able to communicate with iOS users that rely on iMessage.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that this is one of the biggest selling points that iPhone has! It is one of the only reasons that I have stuck with them aside from simplicity. If android was able to pair up with iMessage, I would definitely consider changing over!

I'm genuinely shocked they are doing so. I mean apple never does this kind of thing really apart from itunes on windows.

Don't forget Apple Music is on Android also and "Move to iOS" lol

Well, I guess I haven't eaten my fruits and vegetables in a while. lol corny jokes. get it, apple fruit. i'll be here all night.

I remember when I first saw that apple gave that option to android users. I was ultimately shocked for two reasons:
    1. Apple never shares
    2. Why would an android user change to iPhone?

Ive had iPhone for some time now only because my friend base uses it and it would become a hassle to switch over, but I think it is almost time.

Come on you can do it

True, Apple rarely shares their apps with other companies...

Why would an Android user switch to an iPhone? Probably for simplicity and a phone that will work without much hiccups. On some Android phones, apps sometime crashes and some just don't want or need to customize their phone as much. What Apple has is a simple UI that people can understand how to use easily and that the phone runs pretty smooth.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,244 mod

That's exactly why I don't think apple will do this. Keeping iMessage, facetime proprietary to the apple ecosystem is part of what keeps repeat iPhone customers. Don't get me wrong I welcome the addition, hopefully facetime as well for the friends I have that solely use iMessage and facetime.

I think the final jump from the ship will be when the axon 7 is finally released

Yay, one of us, one of us lol jk

• I just wonder if the app for Android will be as secured as app for iOS? if yes, that's a great news but i always doubt security issue on Android phone.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You may have missed it, but the expected announcement never happened and it is highly unlikely this is actually happening.