Twitter locks millions of accounts

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Twit.png

Following the news late Wednesday, login credentials for as many as 32 million Twitter accounts were being traded on the dark web.  Twitter has responded by locking a number of the accounts and sending affected users emails prompting them to reset their password.

Twitter insists the stolen names and passwords had not been taken as a result of a hack on its servers, but “may have been amassed from combining information from other recent breaches, malware on victim machines that are stealing passwords for all sites, or a combination of both.”

News of the Twitter leak, states information may have been nabbed using malware on “tens of millions” of computers that “sent every saved username and password from browsers like Chrome and Firefox back to the hackers.”

The company states it’s been working with LeakedSource to cross-check the data with its own records. “As a result, a number of Twitter accounts were identified for extra protection. Accounts with direct password exposure were locked and require a password reset by the account owner.”

It’s not known exactly how many users have been told to take action, though the company expressed to the Wall Street Journal that it was “in the millions.”

A slew of celebrities have recently had their Twitter accounts compromised, though a hacker claiming responsibility. he was quoted as saying, " they were doing it merely to raise awareness for internet security."

Having examined the leaked data for the 32 million accounts, LeakedSource revealed the most popular password as “123456,” indicating the hacker may have a point.

Whether or not you’ve received an email from Twitter, now is as good a time as any to change your password, for peace of mind if nothing else. The microblogging site offered a few tips:

• Enable login verification (e.g. two factor authentication). This is the single best action you can take to increase your account security.
  • Use a strong password that you don’t reuse on other websites.
  • Use a password manager to make sure you’re using strong, unique passwords everywhere.

Thought this would be a good reminder to ensure your passwords are unique and out of the ordinary for all your accounts.

Twittah.png

Comments

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I promise my handle didn't come from the dark web lol, the ever valuable handle of mine that has less than 100 followers.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

It really doesn't shock me when I read these stories anymore. It has been said repeatedly, don't use simple passwords, change them often blah blah blah. No one ever listens, or learns. This will scare a few people, for a little while, then back to normal. I'm not saying these people are fully responsible, however they could make it harder for this attacks, if they would just use common sense, and create real passwords. On a side note, ever notice the only time we hear about the Dark Web it's always negative. I agree, it isn't for everyone, but accessed responsibly there is a lot of good there also.

you mean to tell me "password" isn't a good password lol

no, no ​ it is the best, please feel free to use it with your current online banking.  It really is crazy though what people just assume is alright with passwords.

lol and the password hint is my social

social, social hmmm facebook?...lol