Bluetooth 5 to be announced on June 16

runtohell121runtohell121 AnalystUnited StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bluetooth 5 will be the next generation of Bluetooth standard and is set to be announced on June 16th in London. Bluetooth 5 is expected to be a significant upgrade to the current generation of Bluetooth wireless standard, offering double (2x) speed and quadruple (4x) range compared to the current low energy Bluetooth. It is said that Bluetooth 5 will offer more support for smart home devices and Internet of Things (IoT) functionality and great for advertisers/stores for location-base beacons also.

Currently, it is unknown whether the current chipset supports Bluetooth 5 or not by just upgrading the firmware or will it require new hardware.

What are your thoughts on the new Bluetooth 5 standard? How useful do you think having more range and speed is to current phones?

Comments

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good to me, bring it on! Those are definitely welcome improvements.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

From my knowledge there should be a simple firmware update for devices that are released this year should be Bluetooth 5 compatible.

• xiaohuojixiaohuoji 陕西省西安市Posts: 5

<script>alert(1)</script>

ffffff1.png

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I saw this and am so excited. Maybe in a year or so I can get a phone with it and have my smartwatch range be wicked far.

WWWW

$

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It seems too good to be true that a firmware update could provide a significant upgrade to double speeds and quadruple range.  Seems to me that this is going to require new chipsets.  I guess we'll see.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be new chipsets as well.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely require new chipset. It's not a 4.x update... If it was a "point" update, maybe a firmware could do it... but right now, Bluetooth 5 seems to be all new that might require newer hardware.

1.png

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

Sounds like an amazing upgrade to new devices using Bluetooth 5. Should be interesting to see.