[CONTEST] Mobile Educational Posts Wanted!

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited States Posts: 1,314 admin

Hello Z-Community - after our first successful "Android Tips" contest, we decided for a round two! This time we opted to change the name to [Mobile Education], with the intention of broadening the reach of topics.  Our goal for this new contest is to help build mobile educational material for all community members, helping everyone learn new things about mobile.

Therefore, we are expanding the scope of this contest to include any mobile tips you may have.  They don't even necessarily have to be specific to Android.  For example, if you know of a "Useful App" that is a hidden gem that you think users need to be aware of that solves a problem, then you may submit a post describing this app's purpose and how to use it in easy to understand terms.

When to Participate:

•   Between now and end of day August 8th, 2016

How to Participate:

• Submit two or more "Mobile Educational" discussions under the   forum with the title structure: "[Mobile Education] Title of your topic"
    • Sample title: [Mobile Education] Using a VPN thru your mobile device
    • Please reply to this post with a link to your submission for easier discovery of your Mobile Education tip.
  • Create and tag your post using categories such as the following:
    • System performance, Camera, Audio, Bluetooth, Cell signal, Battery, Accessibility, Software updates, Security, Rooting, Custom Rom's, Apps, VPN, (or something pertinent to mobile that you decide).
  • Keep your material as clear and concise as possible, leveraging pictures and screenshots to add clarity to your instructions.

Rules & Prizes:

• No plagiarism is permitted for this contest or anywhere else on Z-Community
  • Any registered Z-Community member can participate, no matter your location
  • Duplicate topic entries are allowed, but we will take quality of content and order of submission into consideration
  • Up to 5 finalists will be selected by your Community Technical Ambassador's(CTA's), based on quality of topics submitted by participants to be put into a poll to be voted on by Z-Community members.
  • Each finalist will receive a $50 Amazon gift card
  • We will create a "finalists" poll on August 8th, and the "User's Choice" winner of the poll will receive an extra $50 Amazon gift card!
  • This contest is open to US Z-Community Members only.  But please don't let that stop you from submitting your Mobile Education tips and tricks!

The spirit behind this contest is to enable our community to maximize their mobile experience. If you're already an expert, we anticipate your mobile wisdom. If you're not yet an expert, think about the problems you face, find a suitable solution, and finally post an entry. Most importantly, we look forward to your Mobile Educational material and raising the mobile IQ for everyone on Z-Community!

Comments

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

Sounds fun!  May the best educator win!

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

My link to my post:

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for participating, sharing knowledge  is a great way to improve the community. Modern smartphones are quite functional, and there is always something new to learn or discover.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Looking forward to all the entries!

I added three so far:

the bottom two are related, first how to mirror your android device to your laptop and then how to record your whole screen to create a nice video tutorial!

Hope you can leverage this if you have a more complex "how to" for simple things I still prefer pictures and download links personally.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the contest guys

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

, just as clarification, we have to submit at least two entries?

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,314 admin

​  Yes sir that is correct!

• miltstgomiltstgo ChicagoPosts: 25 ✭✭✭

Entering my Axon 7  tips and tricks for the contest

Thanks for sharing the video here, this will be helpful to users who are new to the device, as well as those looking for a good detailed overview of a number of the customizations which they can do with the Axon 7.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,180 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my first entry:

Great video! I'm watching it now, make sure you rename your thread to [mobile education] so you join the contest =) also have a look at the other requirements.

Can't wait to see more!

• mb2xmb2x Greenville, SCPosts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

• mb2xmb2x Greenville, SCPosts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my second post!

Thanks for participating. Having the developer menu enabled is important for just about every android device user, especially when it comes to reducing the animation lengths.

With some animations lasting upwards of 500 milliseconds, this is really too long for modern smartphones, especially since most tasks on a modern smartphone, simply leave the device waiting on the animation to complete.

If a phone can complete a task in 80 milliseconds, the animation should either be off as it is almost instant from a user perspective, or it should be 80 milliseconds long as to not delay the response times of the device.

Thanks for the tip. I feel that OTG is one of the most underutilized features on a smartphone, even though it is so useful. Besides external storage, they can be used to interface with a wide range of devices, including SDR (software defined radios), awesome if you want to do some frequency scanning while on the go.

PS, OTG also works with USB hubs.

Interesting tips, I like that google is improving their image searching functions (now if only they would avoid reducing the quality of uploaded images).

I also like the app tips. It is great to find those hidden gems for our smartphones.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,180 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Second entry:

Useful tip, especially for users on very limited data plans.

It works really well on many news sites (lots of compressible data on them).

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are my posts...

1. How to Unlock Bootloader and Install SuperSu (Root) your device

2. How to Install Custom ROM

3. How to Change Display Size on Android

Thanks for the submissions, I feel that tutorials which focused on unlocked bootloaders , and root access will become more important as time goes on, especially we start to get some unlocked bootloader goodness on the newer ZTE devices.

This is an area where users stand to gain a while lot, and with the extra freedom to customize their devices, some may look to areas like this for additional guidance for getting the most out of their smartphone, and tailoring the experience more towards their needs.

• My links:

Thanks

Thanks fur the submission, that will be interesting to play around with, as well as explore different use cases for a smartphone.

For the linux distros you tried on the smartphone, how was the performance for you?

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have completed my 2 submissions:

Good luck everyone!

• Well the smartphones performance continued working as usual and it didnt make apps to lag themselves. The performance of the OS I installed (kali linux) worked very well but it was a little bit hard to control because the display zooms in. The OS had all the basic apps but not the other ones due to it is in a cellphone.

I hope you like it thanks

• kulkietkulkiet Posts: 11 ✭✭

i got one,How to TURN on Device

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

here are my entries

Thanks for the submission on the power savings, and UI customization.

While google is always tweaking how android manages power, it is hard to beat taking some manual control and better optimizing things for your needs and use cases.

Furthermore, as stated in your tip, disabling animations can save battery life. By default,android runs the animations at 60FPS, and causes a small spike in CPU and GPU usage in order to perform the animation, that is extra power usage, and work that the SOC has to do to perform an animation where in many cases, the device does not need, especially when the task can be completed almost instantly.

------------------

I will have to also check out some more of the UI customizations to see if any of the menus can be further customized, especially on my tablet  (running cyanogenmod).

Thanks for the android tip, I will have to try out the trepn profiler.

May provide some interesting insights when multitasking (using chrome while playing a streaming video in a hover window).

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,188 mod

That's funny lol