Fingerprint Scanner Gestures {Axon 7} Feature Request

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,773 admin

Your Axon 7's fingerprint sensor is one of best on the market and it does exactly what it is suppose to do... unlock your phone.

But do you wish it did a little more?

Fingerprint Scanner - Axon 7.jpg

Let's Talk Features

What type of functionality do you what to see out of your fingerprint scanner?

How will the feature you request be a useful addition to the Axon 7?

Comments

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to be able to use it as a scroll button.  If I'm surfing the web or reading a book or article, it would be helpful to use the FPS to scroll down to continue reading, or back up to check something I may have missed, or even if I'm going through a gallery looking at pics.  I could hold a cold beer in one hand and scroll with my finger. I know you can do that with your thumb, but it seems more natural with your finger on the FPS on back.  I'm trying it right now...feels pretty good

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,120 mod

I like hollap suggestion for scrolling,  I like the idea if scrolling as well as a possible mouse type feature, it would be fun to mess around with although I don't how practical it would be...scrolling seems like the obvious choice.  I would like to see it being able to be assigned to start any app especially a voice recorder simply by holding down on the fingerprint reader for a few seconds to take quick notes.  Also maybe to start Google Now while locked and as you are holding it down for a few seconds it simultaneously unlocks and starts Google waiting for your commands.  There should absolutely be a long list of options for people to choose how to add features to the reader.

There were some good ideas suggested here as well. 
    https://community.zteusa.com/message/14696?commentID=14696#comment-14696

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,557 mod

​ A while ago you had posted on a thread I had created about Fingerprint Scanners and Gesture. You had some great input, and I am hoping you would share some further thoughts on this. It's really helpful to get as much information as possible to see what everyone wants, and to gather it in a blog. Thank You!!!

I think it should work to not only unlock the device, but to also unlock apps or perhaps be configured to login to some websites.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,299 admin

I can tell you that it allows me to use the fingerprint scanner to unlock apps that require a password.  This comes in VERY handy for my LastPass app.

​ Very Nice! I wasn't aware that it could do this already. Thanks

Like the GS7 does, and the new Note 7 will do it with the Iris Scanner.

​ I'm just oblivious to everything lately 

• sboothsbooth San Diego, CAPosts: 125

Functionality is one aspect, but I would prefer more of a robust material for the FP sensor surface itself (and the dual flash LED's). Unlike my OnePlus 3's ceramic sensor, which I believe is one of the best currently available, the Axon 7's is not ceramic or glass and can be scratched fairly easily. Yes, it looks like it can still somewhat function even with some wear/tear, but nothing competes with a smooth "bulletproof" surface. I'm confident it not would not cost ZTE more than US$1 per unit in qty yet it would greatly add to the premium finish of the device. Likewise, it would be nice if ZTE didn't settle making the front speaker grills plastic as well, but I digress.

I am still eagerly awaiting my new Quartz Gray Axon 7 and will compare it to the gold version once it arrives.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had a phone with a fingerprint scanner before so I'm excited to see what it can and can't do.

• mttmksmttmks TexasPosts: 93

The Axon 7 is my first device with a fingerprint sensor. I never really thought much about having it until I started using it with my Axon 7, and wow, why didn't I upgrade sooner!

As for new features, I would like a double-tap to capture a screenshot. I would remember that more than the 3 fingered gesture. Either that or hold down the fingerprint sensor to capture a screenshot.

I meant it as a good idea, just because they did it first doesn't mean it's a bad idea ,

I still use the ol' power button and volume down button as my screen shot method.  Double tap the FPS sounds much easier, though I admit I don't take too many screen shots.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like the Fingerprint scanner to have the option to:

1. Turn off the screen.

2. To have a Double Tap Gesture

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

​, happy to share my thoughts on the subject. The experience i have with FP scanners is limited to my Samsung Tab S and the limited time I had a Samsung Note 5 before returning it based on it's performance to value and lack of root access.

For me the scanner on the front seemed the least logical place to put it based on my usage. With a case it was hard to activate and I never held my phone in a normal manner that allowed me to use the scanner. So I did not. On the back with a natural finger fall placement seems right and I say seems as i do not yet have this phone so I can not say for sure. 

As for functionality which is what you asked me about;

1. Unlock the phone, and give me the option of using it without a more advanced security setting when I use the front panel.

2. Selectable application launcher. Camera, Android Pay, Etc.

A. Potentially gesture enabled for multiple selections

3. Fingerprint security for payment apps and log in to financial or secured apps as a second layer of protection. So app will not open unless FP is valid.

I'm not sure what else might be valuable outside of the above but once I have one to play with I'll come back and add to this if i can think of any?

• arjunsarjuns Charlotte, NCPosts: 112

Hello ​, Axon 7 FPS there is an option to answer a call and take a picture.

• arjunsarjuns Charlotte, NCPosts: 112

​, how do you like Honor 5x? I bought on Amazon Primeday deal for $119.99 to gift my father in law. How is camera on Honor 5x?

GSM Monitor is showing good SOT for the Axon 7...more coming soon!  Glad you like the H5X, my son loves his! Unfortunately, he actually likes the EMUI interface for some reason.  I tried using it and didn't care for it.  It's the best budget phone of 2016 hands down in my opinion.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

Id love to see swipe down for the notifications shade to expand (especially with the lock screen on)

3 taps for screenshot

double tap to open settings

press and hold to launch camera app then single press to snap photo

those would be my desires for the fingerprint sensor

• musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

​ there is some app lockers that you can use that work with the fingerprint sensor but havnt found anything for website yet

​ Thanks, I just overlooked this as being an option already.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,773 admin

I'm loving all of the ideas so far.  Even if they are already  out on the market, ZTE may be able to make some really great improvements on them.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

As others mentioned above, using the finger print sensor as a scroll/cursor control could be great. My OnePlus One has the option for left and right cursor scroll buttons on the navbar they are fantastic for typing. Very precise. While typing, sweeping left and right on the fps could scroll the cursor left and right respectively. Speed can be based on how fast you move your finger so you can move quickly or with precision.

This be coupled with the pull down for notifications or up and down screen scrolling.

It could also be used along with press and hold for quick launch of Google Now or some other app and double tap to turn off screen

Just mocking it out now, it seems like these ideas could work well in landscape as well.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

Another potentially innovative idea is to emulate force touch. Basically instead of pressing the screen hard to activate force touch, you would tap wherever you want in the screen and press the fingerprint sensor at the same time (in this way, it could be called squeeze touch!). That way, all Axon 7 models have access to the force touch feature.

I also think that the volume/power button should be eliminated. Just have the finger print sensor on the back (make it a button that can be pressed) swipe up or down for volume, make double tap programmable as well as other gestures, press button for 3 seconds for flashlight, longer to power off....endless options.