ZTE’s New AXON 7 mini Combines World-Class Design with an Exhilarating Audio Experience

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,773 admin

Berlin, 1 September 2016

Today ZTE unveiled the latest addition to its flagship AXON series, the AXON 7 mini. The new device, which ZTE introduced during this year’s IFA trade show in Berlin, incorporates many of the award-winning features consumers’ value from the AXON 7, all within a 5.2-inch screen size.

The AXON 7 mini delivers arguably the highest quality audio experience available in smartphones today thanks to a concerted collaboration led by ZTE with different audio associations, including professors at the prestigious Golden Ears Conservatory of Music.

Say goodbye to portable speakers - the AXON 7 mini’s dual front-facing stereo speakers play crisp, clear sound, powerful enough on their own to play music at parties or entertain outdoors.

The speaker performance combined with Dolby Atmos® sound gives users a movie theatre 7.1 surround sound-like experience no matter where they are.

ZTE-Axon-7-Mini.jpe

Developed to thrill even the most design-conscious consumer, ZTE’s latest device has the same great design as the AXON 7, created in collaboration with Designworks, a BMW subsidiary.

Incorporating a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 617 octa-core processor, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM with dual-SIM/expandable MicroSD combination SIM tray and runs the latest Android 6.0 operating system the AXON 7 mini shows that power, performance and premium experience does not have to lack in a smaller form factor. With a 2705mAh battery, the AXON 7 mini can last an entire day of usage and with Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ technology; it can quickly recharge the battery from 0 to 50% in about 30 minutes. The smartphone also features a rear fingerprint sensor and is equipped with a 16-megapixel rear camera along with 8-megapixel front camera for high-quality images.

Price and availability soon to follow.

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,120 mod

Amazing!  My wife isn't a fan of bigger phones and I think the Axon mini would be perfect for her! Thanks ZTE for giving us more options and reaching even more customers!   

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, would love to try out a smaller version of the flagship, though the spec is a bit downgraded, I guess if the software experience is smooth, it wouldn't matter too much.

I agree,  if the software is optimized and runs smooth it should still be a great device for many.

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

Nice device, but I'm not sure it's "mini" enough for differentiation, I would have gone more 5.0.  Though I realize 5.2 is about average these days for "normal" sized flagship phones, but 5.2 and 5.5 are pretty close, don't you think?

• I'm still holding out hope for a super secret 2k 6 inch display Axon 7 with 6 gigs of ram and Samsung Note 7 quality camera  lol

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,773 admin

Has anyone else had experience with a device that has the SD 617?

What are your thoughts on performance?

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,557 mod

I think it is awesome that ZTE is trying to cover all the bases by making a phone a little bit smaller for those that are not quite ready or able to handle the larger 5.5. Seem like this will also be an amazing phone for music, and videos. Well Done ZTE!!!

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great device! I'm not too impressed with the SD617. The Moto G4 has it, and there are some complaints of slowness and lagging, but I assume that's from power type users. I've used an Honor 5X which has a very comparable SD616, and it was a bit laggy. Part of that has to do with the EMUI overlay Huawei puts on there, man if you used EMUI before MiFavor you wouldn't complain about MiFavor at all.  But the Honor 5X is priced right for what you get.  I wouldn't expect top notch performance from a $199 phone (which you can now get even cheaper). So the mini has some tough competition in this tier.  The Moto G4, The Honor 5X among others have very similar specs.  Need to wait and see the pricing on the Mini.  I love that it has the great audio with front facing speakers like the Axon 7.  Hopefully it sounds just as good!

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

Moto G4. Works fine but as you keep using the device, it slows down and lags before it kinda picks back up again. the 617 is on the league as say, the snapdragon 600 and form what I remember, my s4 and htc one m7 had performance issues (more so the s4 of course). the snapdragon 652 would have been more adequate. also a 4.7 inch would have been more adequate even at 720p. that with a 250-280 USD price tag, and the mini would have been a social media buzz like the axon 7

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Note 7, now there's a hot phone!

Image result for note 7 fire

Just kidding, this can happen to any manufacturer.  It is critical to make the Li batteries very carefully, and you must have faith in your supplier that they will not shortcut during the production run.

I hope this never happens to any of my devices! Can you imagine your pocket getting hot and then this? 

Did they verify this as a problem?  There were rumors someone microwaved it? 

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

They announced a full stop to US sales this morning.  Also they are going to replace every US device.  There are also quite a few other countries involved as well.  The Chinese variant is the only one that is not being recalled from what I heard on my drive in to work this morning. 

Samsung is recalling the Galaxy Note 7 worldwide over battery problem - Sep. 2, 2016

I hate to see this for any user of a consumer product.  It doesn't help a Samsung's reputation either.  Li batteries can really cause problems if they are not manufactured correctly, or they don't have the correct charging and protection circuitry. 

Thanks for the update ​! I don't like either when manufacturers have issues like this. Goes to show how difficult it can be to provide quality control even in the case of reputable manufacturers such as Samsung. 

• I too would have liked the mini to be in the 4.7 to 5.0 inch range ... But overall dimensions are what matter. Thanks