Project CSX Finale: Voting Update

jyeejyee VP, Product Marketing & StrategySan Francisco, CAPosts: 129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We're one day into the finale voting for Project CSX, the crowd-source device where consumers decide what ZTE will build next.  The response has been great thus far.  Thousands of votes have been cast in the first day, but remember that we have seven days remaining and expect a lot of changes in the final week.  We've received a lot of comments and questions that I would like to address.

Where can you vote?

* More widgets and places to vote are being added as we expand the regions for voting.  Please note that the results you see on each of the voting widgets are being tallied by ZTE from different widgets.  The grand prize winner will be the one with the greatest amount of votes across all voting widgets.

Is there any cheating?

We are closely monitoring all voting and ZTE reserves the right to subtract any votes that are not legitimate.  There was a spike in voting in one of the concepts yesterday that was traced back to an article that was written about the concept.  After checking the views and locations of each vote, we found that the votes were legitimate.  There is no evidence that we have found of improper voting.

How can you Help?

If you see a product concept that you truly believe in, spread the word.  Get others to vote on it.  That's the best way for you to help the author of the concept that you believe should win.  The voting widgets have many options for sharing across social channels or you can give friends and family this URL: http://www.projectcsx.info

How Did ZTE Select the Final Five?

Three ideas carry over from Phase 1.  They are: Eye Tracking, Self-Adhesive Phone, Powerglove and VR-Interactive Diving Mask.  Users had an opportunity to build out designs and expand upon these ideas, but the original authors had the best designs and they were carried forward. 

Two ideas from Phase 2 were called wildcards, meaning that these ideas could start from scratch and propose a new idea, complete with designs.  One of the wildcard submissions was a vote leader from Phase 1 that was resubmitted again, and generated interest in votes and comments in Phase 2.  With tremendous feedback that we received in other forums, even outside of Project CSX, we made the decision to allow the stock Android phone concept back into the final.  Our reasoning was that it would be one of five concepts, and it would be great to see how consumers voted when it was placed next to other innovative choices.  In the spirit of CSX, it's about listening to consumers and we truly want to see how people vote and what they want to see in a device.

Lastly, we should expect that any of the five choices would be an innovative device when it's available in 2017.  Even in the case of the stock Android phone, there's always the chance that we might blend one of the other innovative ideas from CSX into the final product.  Remember, this is a crowd-source device.  We're respecting the ideas, comments and votes from the crowd - all of you.

Comments

• Thank you jyee

• Oh really??

So what is being "innovative, unique, and original" about putting stock Android in you Axon phone????

Are you serious in making this big project with all that hype just to tell us that someone (I call cheater) is asking you to put stock Android on your phone?

Voila!

If this project win the competition, I will completely lose my faith in you.

He didn't submit any valuable material.. He even didn't show any concept form, and he took the advantage of his position as an author in one of the famous tech blog just to spread his propaganda.

ZTE USA, you will have a very hard time justifying your weird selection.

This should have been a project for unique ideas, and not something every one knows and can do.

Many of us are extremely frustrated with that decision, and we will never leave it right here.

• Nancy, the winning criteria is

Public Appeal (number of votes) 40%, Creativity and Originality 30%, Adherence to Competition Submission Guidelines 30%

While the Axon R may get all the votes and so 40% for that, it probably will get 0% for creativity. The last 30% is a toss up.

Your favorite idea would get full points for creativity and originality. good points for votes and again the guidelines part is a toss up.

• “At the end of the Phase 2 Voting Period the twenty (20) Concept Submissions that accumulated the most votes will be deemed as the Product Finalists. At that time the Judges will review all the Product Finalists and select five 5 potential Product Winners based on the following judging criteria: Public Appeal (number of votes) 40%, Creativity and Originality 30%, Adherence to Competition Submission Guidelines 30%.”

Now let’s discuss (Axon R: a better Axon 7 with stock Android)

This project got ONLY 17 votes at the end of phase two.

Public Appeal 40%: very poor as he got only 17 votes, while the excluded prrojects got over 90 votes and none of them qualified.

Creativity and Originality 30%: ZERO… Nothing creative and original about putting stock Android on an Axon phone.

Adherence to Competition Guidelines 30%: which is concept uniqueness and novelty. Nothing of this happened with this project at all.

Please sir, could you now tell what was your selection criteria when you approved this project to the final round and excluded hundreds of more innovative ones???

• Thank you ​.. This illustrates everything.

Great post.

• jyeejyee VP, Product Marketing & Strategy San Francisco, CAPosts: 129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding votes, we considered that this concept had a lot of votes in the early round.  It was third at the end of Phase 1.

Regarding adherence to rules, the three main rules for CSX as stated when we started the process.  1) must be mobile, 2) technically feasible by 2017, and 3) affordable for the general public.  It met these rules.

• Hi folks

This is Ahmed... An editorial in Aliazeera Channnel Middle East. I covered Project CSX from start. My stories about this generated very big hype and excitements among the Middle Eastern technology fans. I encountered many great ideas in the two phases that called for a big recognition from us, but unfortunately, I’m now only seeing a very scrawny idea that is harvesting the REAL votes of the unique and original concepts. I don’t know how the jury has approved such a mess to the final round. Thousands if not millions of excited and enthusiastic customers are now waiting for your next great thing, but you are going to show them a stock Android skin on your Axon phone!.

Does this make any sense really?

What is the criteria the judges had to follow in order to prefer this meager idea over many unique ones?

If the management won't take the final decision in this, this competition might lose its entire credibility.

You are probably not going to like the report that I’m planning to release by the end of this competition.

Good luck

Ahmed,

Thank you for expressing your concern and also covering the project for your readers.  I believe I have answered the question about the process for the final five in this blog post, but I'd like to address another point that is very relevant to you as a reporter.

Your stories have an opportunity to influence consumers to vote, whether they want a simple phone with stock Android or something exotic and new.  I believe it is within your power to educate readers and help raise awareness about the innovative choices that they can vote upon. That's what happened to the stock Android submission when a writer posted it yesterday to XDA.  You can do the same for any of the other choices - it is all within the spirit of this competition - which is to educate consumers and allow them to choose what they want ZTE to build.

Jeff

• Thank you Mr. Jeff for your response and opinion.

Your project gathered lots of excitement because being unique and going to show us a very innovative mobile device at the end. Adding stock android to a phone isn’t unique, innovative, original, or new (You can add this to any phone you produce). HTC, Samsung, and some other OEMs already produced a Google Play Edition to their flagships years ago. So I mean, we were not waiting for a generic project like that from CSX. However, I’m going to broadcast a new report about your project in this week episode. I will encourage my audience to vote for the original and innovative ideas.

Thank you and wish you best of luck.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a 6" version of the Axon 7 (Axon 7+ (?))

• Hello Ahmed, when you do post that new episode could you link it here or somwhere in the forums? I'd like to see it.

• It seems that the CSX universal voting will end in 8 hours (11:59PM ET). Why the voting page doesn't show the poll?. Why did you pulled that?

Thank you

Apologies.  We had a time zone issue set for the expiration of the poll and it ended prematurely, but we just fixed it and it's working again and will remain open until 11:59pm EST tonight.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My only disappointment about this contest, is the Option/Design - B - , should have the Correct Description since day 1...

beside is the only design that make more sense and more appealing for Android users, i was even imagine my self using the Gamepad Cover + few more covers mentioned there including extended photography.

• Good morning,

You just released an announcement we can't comment on.

As far as I know, the poll result appear immediately once after I vote. The results from every path are identical. I guess they all pour in the same collecting system. What are you gonna consolidate? could you clarify this more?... Thanks

The final announcement will come tomorrow (Thursday the 20th). If you can be patient we will tally all of the votes and make a formal announcement soon.