SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 A2017U now on Build B19

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks ZTE for leading the pack and getting the software started back on track.  By no means perfect yet, but progress is being made and gives me much more confidence for the future!

• xblackdemonxxblackdemonx CanadaPosts: 102 ✭✭✭✭

You are ****

• redbirdredbird MichianaPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭✭

All good here. The only issue I was having was the wrong or no dialer opening when clicking on or selecting a phone number. That seems to be cleared up now.

I do like this phone. This is my first Android phone. I've always had Windows phones, but finally gave up on them. I think I made the right choice with this one. I read so many reviews before selecting this and for features and price I think it is unbeatable.

• Same here. While I am a PC guy and really dislike Apple computers I have loved the iPhone since my first smart phone.

Finally decided I really wanted to go Android. Did a bunch of research for my girl first then a couple weeks later shifted my research for myself and in the end went with this Axon 7 over all other offerings. I was hovering over the buy button on a Pixel XL but just couldn't bring myself to do it. The so-called "Premium" phones have gotten the point of pricing themselves out of the market. They lost me.

These high quality phones at mid range prices are really coming into a sweet spot. So far I am super happy with my Axon. Not perfect but unbeatable bang for the buck!

Now if I could just get this update to install... :-/

• asianpianomanasianpianoman Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very excited! I have successfully updated. The biggest issues in B15 - for me, it was slow fingerprint/wake time and slower/laggier performance - seems to have gone. For now. We'll have to see how it holds up over time, but for the first few hours, my A7 has returned to its snappy excellent 820 Marshmallow performance glory.  I'll have to wait a few days to see if battery is any better too!

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭

Why so rude? He just asked a question.

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭

I will update in a day or two when I get consistent wifi, hope myself and everybody's issues get fixed

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, ZTE. How about that kernel source though? B19?

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still on MM and it's still just offering me B15.  Not a big problem.

Bigger issue is that I want to know if bootloader unlocking is coming with this update (i.e., does the update lay the groundwork for a new unlock method that's definitely in the works?).  I eventually want to unlock, but I also want to load this latest official Nougat release (T-Mo WIFI calling - yes- thank you ZTE!).  But if unlocking is still going to require me to downgrade to B20, then I'd rather do that first.  Of course, what I'd really rather do is not unlock at all (and void my warranty) until I have to.  So, please... is a Nougat unlock coming or not?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No need to use that tool to update to B15, you can either take the B15 then reboot and take B19 or download Nougat B15 from here ZTE Axon 7 , unzip move update.zip to SDCard and Update.

That edl tool can cause mistake ,instead of help.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

Always awesome to see improvements!

• quantomikquantomik Posts: 22 ✭✭✭✭

So far this update seems to have fixed the issues I had with the last one. I'm quite pleased and now I won't have to be constantly checking to see if there's an update. Some things to consider in the next update: On Screen Navigation Buttons as an option (it's a pain for anyone to use the phone at night if they aren't familiar with the device), Always on option like the g5 or s7, ability to add/remove toggles from the notification tray, the inclusion of long press functionally on apps on the launcher, preventing the screen from turning on in the middle of a call, and personalized audio.

The Axon 7 has a great audio experience but this could be made better with personalized audio. This is something I experienced on my brothers HTC 10 which has a great headphone amp. Adjustments can be made based on individual hearing capabilities, headset, and preferences. I feel this would capitalize on the already enjoyable audio experience on the Axon 7.

Great work so far!

• mastewmanmastewman Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

ZTE Thank you! for supporting your product that means a lot...

• Hi,

I attempted to install the 7.1.1 update, and unlike the 7.0 update which went perfectly, the 7.1.1 update sent my phone into recovery mode. I tried doing just a standard reboot from recovery, as well as seeing if the install update from SD card worked (though I wouldn't expect it to be there). Neither did. After failing to update the phone recovers fine, it just doesn't properly install. Any suggestions on what might be causing the issue and how to get around it?

• zapps1989zapps1989 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

jpassmor - Remove your SD card and try to update... It worked for me

• That worked. Thank you!

• quantomikquantomik Posts: 22 ✭✭✭✭

Have you already tried factory reset in recovery?

Why would I need to update to B15 via the SD card?  Are you saying that if I unlock my bootloader using the B20 unlock method, I won't be able to upgrade to B15 via OTA?   Or is the SDCard method just a nice shortcut that lets me bypass a few steps?  Sorry to sound dense, but "you can either take B15..." sounds like OTA will work - which was my original question.  But then you add the bit about sideloading B15, which shouldn't be necessary - just a last resort option if something goes wrong.  Is that right?

I take it you're recommending against the MiFlash edl thingy.  That one sure sounds like the most flexible option, but I'll take your word for it.  The B20 method is at least 'official' - or at least it was official.  Which leads me to this, though.  Assuming ZTE eventually comes up with a new official method, will LOS need to make changes to work with it, or is unlocking unlocking - i.e., once you get some flag set in the boot firmware somewhere, you're unlocked and can boot any image you want without it being officially signed - and it has nothing else to do with the functioning of the device?

• killer23dkiller23d Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I wasn't clear about my post so the confusion. I was referring to unlocking the bootloader with the EDL mode, you don't need ZTE for that. Once you unlock, then you won't be able to do any OTA/Official update. By unlocking the BL, I assume you are not doing back to MiFavor and would go for LOS or RR.

I was afraid of that.  If B19 is decent, I don't plan to move to LOS yet.  I just wanted to unlock now, while I'm still on B29.

Idon't think unlocking the bootloader blocked OTAs on my Nexus 4, but I could be mistaken about that.  Anyway this would explain why drakenfx would have mentioned sideloading B15.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

On the Nexus series, unlocking the bootloader does not stop OTA unless you changed the original ROM image.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the Axon logo is there, I would let it keep going, even longer than 10 minutes.
    It probably shouldn't take that long, but if it has some residual errors that it's having trouble processing,
    there's still a chance that it could recover eventually.
    I would plug it in and try booting and let it take as long as it needs. Maybe even an hour, which of course is unreasonable
    under normal circumstances, but if you already tried clearing cache and FDR via recovery,
    then this won't hurt to try and hope for the best.
    If it still won't boot after that then you will need to contact ZTE support and see if they have any more troubleshooting
    options or a potential warranty claim. The Axon 7 has a pretty awesome warranty so hopefully you are covered whatever the case may be.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, my Axon 7 was running the B15 Nougat update, but using it on wi-fi today it didn't notify me of an update and didn't auto update either.
    Manually checking for an update just now got me the ability to install the B19 update.
    It loaded and installed quickly for me without any issues. Looks like a nice update from the release notes above.

• yeah ill leave it one for a couple of hours...i also bought a new micro sd and download the update file and tried updating it through android recovery from the micro sd. i kept getting "no signature, verification failed"

•   Quick to update anyone curious...I contacted ZTE and am getting a replacement. I was blown away by how easy everything was and I called on Sunday! Appreciate that warranty ZTE, I'd be screwed without it lol

• Awesome phone! Thanks for keeping it up to date.

• xblackdemonxxblackdemonx CanadaPosts: 102 ✭✭✭✭

Because a software update cannot add hardware functions.

• ashwinbrashwinbr Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Most of the phone features are working except when receiving a call. My phone doesn't ring at all. It behaves as though the phone is in silent mode. I can visually see the call coming in, but no audible ring sound not is there any vibration.

ZTE,  This is one of the basic functions of the phone.

Please help me fix this ASAP.  I've had plenty of call issues, signal issues, blank spots during a conversation, and dropped calls before the update. And now this!

I've had that issue a couple of times with older software.
    When it did happen, nothing I did would fix it outside of a full FDR of the device,
    OR when a new software update was installed, then it would be fixed.
    I actually use wifi the majority of the time with my phones, so it could still be an intermittent issue with mine too and I just don't know it.