Axon Warranty Repair Experience

shnekshnek Posts: 1

Hello everyone!

I just created an account just to share my bad experience with Axon 7 warranty repair.
It's not a post to hate on them, the point is I would like to show you what can happen if your device breaks without any reason and you have to use the well advertised Axon Passport 2.0.

First of all, I have bought 2 of the Axon 7 phones on September 13 2016. I was using one of them on the daily basis.
Around two months ago I was using the Axon 7 as usual, but around 50% battery life my phone got real hot and it shut itself down. After that it cooled itself down so I was fairly safe that this was just the overheating issue. Maybe I have left the screen on or something - not a big deal.
Problem escalated when I came back home, tried to charge the phone and turn it back on. It did not. I tried all the different methods I have found online, tried to get into the bootloader etc. The thing that concerned me the most is that the red notification light was not light when it was plugged in.
At this point I should add that the device has not been unlocked or rooted or anything. Used stock, didn't even use any app that would optimize battery life.

I have reached out to the ZTE Support to get my device shipped to them and repaired. According to their repair status website it has arrived to the repair facility on 05/17/2017. The website also said that there are estimated 5 days until the device will be sent back.
Happy with the quick repair status I was waiting. And waiting. For more than 2 weeks.
Then I have reached out to the ZTE Support again. It was on Friday, June 2nd. I was chatting with a nice guy, he told me he is going to escalate the problem and reach out to the repair facility to get to know what's going on with the device. We agreed that he'll send me an email with the update. Haven't got one since.

Then I tried calling the ZTE Support. One week later, just to give them enough time to get to know what's wrong with the phone. This time I was talking to a very nice guy, Andrew. He actually found out that there is some kind of shortage on parts for Axon 7 and the repair parts should arrive next week. He told me he's gonna contact the repair facility and email me back. No emails from him since.

Continuing with the one week waiting time (I think it's more then enough for anyone to contact the repair facility and send any feedback back to me). I have called on the next Friday, June 16. I was talking to a lady that could not do anything, but tell me that she is gonna escalate the problem and reach out to the repair facility. Do you see the pattern?
She was even rude. I tried to tell her that I have a case number for this problem, because Andrew gave it to me one week ago. She did not want to listen, but she repeated whatever she was saying.
I told her that I'm done with all of this. I want to have a phone. It can be my repaired Axon 7, it can be a new Axon 7. It can be money back so I go and buy something else.
She told me to give her 48 hours, including weekend to escalate the problem and they will reach out to me. If not, I was told to call them AGAIN.
So I did. Few minutes ago. They still only know that there was shortage on parts. The lady I was speaking with today told me the parts are gonna arrive later today or tomorrow. And they will start shipping it immediately, but she has no idea which phones will be repaired and shipped first.

I escalated one thing. I could wait for the repair, but until June 29th. Then I'm flying to Europe, and I'll be staying there for a while. I told ZTE that I'm fine with them shipping the device to Europe if they can't make it on time. I feel like I'm not expecting much.

The problem is, lady I was speaking today told me they can not ship to Europe. So if they can't make it on time, I'll have my phone in the US, while I'll be in Europe.
She told me I can't have money back. She told me they can't send me a new device.
Do I believe them, that they will have new parts for Axon 7 today or tomorrow? Do I believe that they will send it to me before I leave? No, not really.

It's even more sad because I really like the phone. I do not want to change it. But at this point I must say I am exceptionally dissatisfied with ZTE.

Comments

• herzmehherzmeh Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Mine went as follows:

6/1 - call to use Passport warranty for smashed screen. Pay the deductible, told that phone will ship in a few days. Still no phone by 6/10 or so, find out they're out of stock. Got the advance exchange phone on 6/15. On 6/28 charged full price because I didn't return the phone within 25 days. Sent the phone back on 7/5 or so, got confirmation that it was received. Waiting on refund.

Overall it went ok, I'm just not happy that the clock started when I made the initial call and not when the replacement was received (or even shipped). I'll wait another week for the refund. If it doesn't come, I'll just dispute the charge.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@shnek said:
    Hello everyone!

I just created an account just to share my bad experience with Axon 7 warranty repair.
    It's not a post to hate on them, the point is I would like to show you what can happen if your device breaks without any reason and you have to use the well advertised Axon Passport 2.0.

First of all, I have bought 2 of the Axon 7 phones on September 13 2016. I was using one of them on the daily basis.
    Around two months ago I was using the Axon 7 as usual, but around 50% battery life my phone got real hot and it shut itself down. After that it cooled itself down so I was fairly safe that this was just the overheating issue. Maybe I have left the screen on or something - not a big deal.
    Problem escalated when I came back home, tried to charge the phone and turn it back on. It did not. I tried all the different methods I have found online, tried to get into the bootloader etc. The thing that concerned me the most is that the red notification light was not light when it was plugged in.
    At this point I should add that the device has not been unlocked or rooted or anything. Used stock, didn't even use any app that would optimize battery life.

I have reached out to the ZTE Support to get my device shipped to them and repaired. According to their repair status website it has arrived to the repair facility on 05/17/2017. The website also said that there are estimated 5 days until the device will be sent back.
    Happy with the quick repair status I was waiting. And waiting. For more than 2 weeks.
    Then I have reached out to the ZTE Support again. It was on Friday, June 2nd. I was chatting with a nice guy, he told me he is going to escalate the problem and reach out to the repair facility to get to know what's going on with the device. We agreed that he'll send me an email with the update. Haven't got one since.

Then I tried calling the ZTE Support. One week later, just to give them enough time to get to know what's wrong with the phone. This time I was talking to a very nice guy, Andrew. He actually found out that there is some kind of shortage on parts for Axon 7 and the repair parts should arrive next week. He told me he's gonna contact the repair facility and email me back. No emails from him since.

Continuing with the one week waiting time (I think it's more then enough for anyone to contact the repair facility and send any feedback back to me). I have called on the next Friday, June 16. I was talking to a lady that could not do anything, but tell me that she is gonna escalate the problem and reach out to the repair facility. Do you see the pattern?
    She was even rude. I tried to tell her that I have a case number for this problem, because Andrew gave it to me one week ago. She did not want to listen, but she repeated whatever she was saying.
    I told her that I'm done with all of this. I want to have a phone. It can be my repaired Axon 7, it can be a new Axon 7. It can be money back so I go and buy something else.
    She told me to give her 48 hours, including weekend to escalate the problem and they will reach out to me. If not, I was told to call them AGAIN.
    So I did. Few minutes ago. They still only know that there was shortage on parts. The lady I was speaking with today told me the parts are gonna arrive later today or tomorrow. And they will start shipping it immediately, but she has no idea which phones will be repaired and shipped first.

I escalated one thing. I could wait for the repair, but until June 29th. Then I'm flying to Europe, and I'll be staying there for a while. I told ZTE that I'm fine with them shipping the device to Europe if they can't make it on time. I feel like I'm not expecting much.

The problem is, lady I was speaking today told me they can not ship to Europe. So if they can't make it on time, I'll have my phone in the US, while I'll be in Europe.
    She told me I can't have money back. She told me they can't send me a new device.
    Do I believe them, that they will have new parts for Axon 7 today or tomorrow? Do I believe that they will send it to me before I leave? No, not really.

It's even more sad because I really like the phone. I do not want to change it. But at this point I must say I am exceptionally dissatisfied with ZTE.

Please do not misunderstand because I agree with you about the service or lack of service. I would be livid if I was you. What happened to the other A7 that you bought at the same time?

• I experienced same situation and it was not okay how long it took for them to get new parts and sent my phone back to me. I've waited about a month to get it. I was so frustrated by their service. it wasn't very cool.

• throwaway777throwaway777 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

@shnek said:
    Hello everyone!

What's the story with your phone now?

• hskilletthskillett rdmillett@gmail.comPosts: 5 ✭✭

I just received my axon after a very similar experience. I sent it on June 22nd and after two weeks of no progress on their website I called and they said there was a discrepancy with the Imei. I updated it and nothing happened for another week. I started calling daily at this point because it was around July 15th and I was worried because today I'm leaving the country for an indefinite period and needed my phone. They told me. On the 15th it. Would ship out that day or the following Monday but when I called Monday it hadn't shipped. I called each day and on the 20th the finally shipped it and they did it by overnight air.

I suggest calling every day so they will keep re-escalating your case. Good luck!

• jazzijazzi Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just pathetic! A parts shortage for a device which is barely a year old. This suggests that ZTE is receiving a high number of phones which need to be repaired or they simply are no longer interested in that product line. Considering that there has not been a single word from them regarding a successor to the Axon 7, it makes the level of shoddy customer service even more outrageous and acceptable.

I got my Axon 7 in January of this year but I'm already actively conducting research for a replacement. Apart from overheating and poor battery life, mine is holding up so far. However with all the horror stories about numerous faults and woeful customer service, I will be pleasantly surprised if I encounter neither before the usual 2.5+ years I keep my phones.

I do hope that your case is resolved to your satisfaction soon.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jazzi said:
    That's just pathetic! A parts shortage for a device which is barely a year old. This suggests that ZTE is receiving a high number of phones which need to be repaired or they simply are no longer interested in that product line. Considering that there has not been a single word from them regarding a successor to the Axon 7, it makes the level of shoddy customer service even more outrageous and acceptable.

I got my Axon 7 in January of this year but I'm already actively conducting research for a replacement. Apart from overheating and poor battery life, mine is holding up so far. However with all the horror stories about numerous faults and woeful customer service, I will be pleasantly surprised if I encounter neither before the usual 2.5+ years I keep my phones.

I do hope that your case is resolved to your satisfaction soon.

I'm not excusing poor customer service but with regards to a parts shortage couldn't it be a supplier problem also?