Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 Mini (B2017G) now on Nougat 7.1.1 Build (B12)

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,126 admin
edited June 21, 2017 3:18AM in Axon

Over the next 48 hours, Axon 7 Mini users will be able to update their software to build B12. This is an Android Nougat (Android 7.1.1) update for the Axon 7 Mini and we are happy to roll it out to our US customers.

Since this is a major update, please read the instructions thoroughly before you download the new software.

Pre-Update Instructions

1. We recommend backing up your data prior to this update
  2. Set up or confirm an unlock method other than your fingerprint, such as PIN or Pattern; this will be required after every reboot.
  3. Please make sure the battery level is over 30% before updating (or keep your phone plugged in during the update)
  4. Initial restart will take longer than normal after the update has completed (please do not turn off your device during the update)
  5. After the update, please re-install any 3rd party applications if you experience compatibility issues (possible, but unlikely)

New features and improvements

1. Android OS upgraded from Marshmallow 6.0.1 to Nougat 7.1.1
  2. T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling support
  3. Google security patch updated through June 1, 2017
  4. Enhanced system performance and overall stability

Enjoy the Nougat update and feel free to leave your feedback below. We also ask that you spend at least 48 or more with the new software and take our short 1 minute survey to give your feedback on this build using the link below.

https://goo.gl/forms/LpFIET207ZUMLqDm2

Comments

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aerospaceman good to see that the Axon 7 mini isn't being neglected, but I was wondering if you knew when ZTE was planning to release the latest security patches for the axon 7 and also if we'll be getting 7.1.2 or not. Thanks

• mgeinitzmgeinitz Encino, CAPosts: 151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully the axon7 is soon for its next update too! Keep it up ZTE!

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, B12 Nougat in the house! Nice to see ZTE providing updates to more than just the flagship for its non carrier devices.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CA Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, welcome little bro t the Nougat fun train :D

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great Job ZTE, Keep the Updates Coming!!!!

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,606 mod

A great addition to a great device, and with the price of the mini this phone is an Epic deal

• riverive Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 1:12PM

After ZTE's track record for releasing buggy updates (and not resolving those bugs in a timely manner), I think I will let others be the guinea pig on this (as my phone works atm and I want it to stay that way).

Perhaps I'll update my A7 mini in a month or so.

• larryslarrys Posts: 37 ✭✭✭✭

@drakenfx said:
    Nice, welcome little bro t the Nougat fun train :D

Good to see your post ... have missed you on a day-to-day basis!

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see the Mini get this update!!

• ryampolskyryampolsky Posts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 5:52PM

@14blank40 said:
    @aerospaceman good to see that the Axon 7 mini isn't being neglected, but I was wondering if you knew when ZTE was planning to release the latest security patches for the axon 7 and also if we'll be getting 7.1.2 or not. Thanks

Well this seems to include the June patch level. I don't imagine they'll leave big brother without the latest security patches now that the mini has 'em. Presumably the mini's build is based off the same code base as the A7's - I guess we can watch here to see if anything else has been fixed. Then again, if the code base is essentially the same, I wonder why it took so long to get it out for the mini...

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 6:05PM

@ryampolsky said:
    Well this seems to include the June patch level. I don't imagine they'll leave big brother without the latest security patches now that the mini has 'em. Presumably the mini's build is based off the same code base as the A7's - I guess we can watch here to see if anything else has been fixed. Then again, if the code base is essentially the same, I wonder why it took so long to get it out for the mini...

Maybe they were trying to make sure that all the bugs were worked out before releasing the nougat software? Anyways, I do think they wouldn't just leave the bigger brother with an older security patch. And hopefully, if the base code is indeed very similar then maybe the axon 7 might get some bug fixes as well (again, maybe).

• I just have one question, I might be the only one in here who's not from the US, but from south america, yet my axon 7 mini is B2017G USAV
    The update is still coming OTA for me, right?

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,005 admin

@jjosegq1903 said:
    I just have one question, I might be the only one in here who's not from the US, but from south america, yet my axon 7 mini is B2017G USAV
    The update is still coming OTA for me, right?

You will get the update as well.

• Is there any way to get this update as a SD card update that could be manually downloaded?

• Hello good morning I wanted to ask the following How do I make the micro SD part of the internal memory of the axon 7 mini with Android 7.1.1 ?? Thank you

• gweeper64gweeper64 Central MAPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@osquilcr said:
    Hello good morning I wanted to ask the following How do I make the micro SD part of the internal memory of the axon 7 mini with Android 7.1.1 ?? Thank you

The Axon 7 mini does not support "adoptable storage". But, it is easy to change the default storage location for pictures and media to be the SD card. That handles 90% of what you would need adoptable storage for. If you have so many apps that you are filling up the 32GB internal memory, well ..... how many of those apps do you actually use?

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,606 mod
    edited June 22, 2017 1:20PM

@xjohnyrocketx said:
    Is there any way to get this update as a SD card update that could be manually downloaded?

I will reach out for to double check that for you @xjohnyrocketx

• So far the ROM looks stable. I hope that in the near future ZTE unlock the bootloader of Axon 7 Mini

• @gweeper64 said:

@osquilcr said:
    Hello good morning I wanted to ask the following How do I make the micro SD part of the internal memory of the axon 7 mini with Android 7.1.1 ?? Thank you

The Axon 7 mini does not support "adoptable storage". But, it is easy to change the default storage location for pictures and media to be the SD card. That handles 90% of what you would need adoptable storage for. If you have so many apps that you are filling up the 32GB internal memory, well ..... how many of those apps do you actually use?

Thanks for the answer, my question was why most phones with Android since 6.0 and now that have 7.1.1 allow this option of the micro SD is part of the internal storage

• fallen00sniperfallen00sniper Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭

thank you zte, i can finally use my phone at home thanks to wifi calling.

hoping this update also solves the strange problem i have had living between 2 towers that are less than 2 miles apart (give or take).

my phone also seems to be running more smoothly.

• texasmade1texasmade1 DFWPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcder3 said:
    So far the ROM looks stable. I hope that in the near future ZTE unlock the bootloader of Axon 7 Mini

I wouldn't hold my breath after what happened with the Axon 7, but good luck with that...

• shadowsportsshadowsports Bay Area - CAPosts: 94 ✭✭✭✭✭

I upgraded mom's mini to 7.1.1 today. The update including D/L, install and app optimization took about 15 min. very nice. I had previously changed every default app on the device from ZTE to standard Google (minus the dialer)... All there, all working. (I was floored). Won't be visiting again for a couple of days. Will update on her experience again at that time.

Dad still on his iPhone... Come on ZTE... Get a new software image pushed out to the A7 and you'll get another sale... even with those non backlit capacitive buttons I hate so much. >:)

• Hello All

I live in the Netherlands and could not wait so I downloaded the B2017GV1.0.0B12 firmware update file manually.
    Put it on the SD card.
    The update option recognized the file and I updated my phone.
    After aprox 15min the phone was operational again.
    When I check the phone's info it is still on android 6.01.

I have no idea what I did wrong ?
    any suggestions ?

• @ikorpershoek said:
    Hello All

I live in the Netherlands and could not wait so I downloaded the B2017GV1.0.0B12 firmware update file manually.
    Put it on the SD card.
    The update option recognized the file and I updated my phone.
    After aprox 15min the phone was operational again.
    When I check the phone's info it is still on android 6.01.

I have no idea what I did wrong ?
    any suggestions ?

Same here. I tried to update an European version of this phone, but no luck. I tried first in the recovery, where I got a black screen and the phone restarted after a few minutes. I tried from the OS after that, the update was done, the Build Number is B12, but the android version is still 6.0.1. And I noticed that the OS is now bigger is size. I will revert back to the old build...

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ikorpershoek and @tirel22

Based on the build number you posted, B2017GV1.0.0B12, is still a marshmallow. I am not sure if the Nougat build has hit the European model but the US model has a build number V1.2.0. So I would suggest just keep checking for ota update and once it is available, you should be able to enjoy nougat.

• I was shocked to find that finally an update was ready for download. Doubly shocked that phone is working great immediately after. Thanks ZTE! Is it too early to request Android O?

• Anybody else seeing much higher battery usage? Also quickcharge does not appear to be consistently working. Just seeing if anyone else out there has seen same/similar behavior and what they might have done to improve the situation.

• AMRROLAMRROL Posts: 11
    edited June 24, 2017 2:08PM

Update went very smooth. Only 1 problem, and it is a major one. When I search for cellular networks, all it returns is null values followed by numbers. It will not display any networks. It connects to my carrier automatically both in the USA and France, but I cannot get any connectivity with 4G. Any ideas on how to correct this.

• Today I have just installed this update with some changes for me positive and negative as follows:

Positive 1- Now using Nova launcher I can block the phone by double tap on the screen using screen lock method
    Device Admin....with previous firmware I had to unlock by pattern and not fingerprint, now it locks
    and I can unlock it by fingerprint.
    2- A bit smoother

Negative 1- As with previous firmware Whatsapp keeps me online even if I minimize the application so other
    people view I am online for 15 minutes at least while I minimize the app....the only way to get
    offline is terminating the Whatsapp application...I thought with this firmware this problem could
    get solved :(
    2- Now to view photos on the Gallery I can't view a photo until it refreshes all thumbnails, now with
    about 250 photos on my gallery it takes like 20 seconds in order to view a photo....with previous
    firmware only took like 2 seconds, I think thumbnails was held on a caché to avoid this delay
    3- Camera flash still very inacurate as with previous firmware, close photos gets over exposure and
    out of focus on the majority of photos...I don't know if is a deficient software or a hardware
    limitation

I hope this information helps ZTE in order to improve this excellent phone.

• shadowsportsshadowsports Bay Area - CAPosts: 94 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 4:19PM

Visited with mom today. 7.1.1 on her mini is going well. Battery performance appears to be equally as good. She doesn't use what's app so I cannot comment on it. I only had about 10 min with the phone, but put it through the most common use cases. Unlock with PIN and FP. Watched youtube, used voice commands to send a text, made a call using BT headset and speakerphone, browsed several websites, composed and sent mail. Took a photo. Swiped to delete notifications and tested lock screen notifications. Solid. The only thing I had to do was re-enable "OK Google" for her... but I had to do this on my 6p when upgrading to 7.1.1 last year as well, so no biggie. I'm sure there are a few bugs here or there, but thusfar she hasn't found them, so the update is working well for her based on how she uses her device.

@Ceporce.. suggest you try Google photos instead of ZTE Gallery.