Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

How do you use your mobile phone with one hand?

yindanyindan Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
edited June 23, 2017 5:01PM in Consumer Lab

Time for a poll!

Consumer Lab would like to learn about your mobile phone usage behavior with one hand. Do you prefer to use your mobile phone with your right hand or left hand?

1. Please select one of the options below and let us know your mobile phone screen size in the comments down below. 
2. In addition, we would like to learn about the scenarios in which you use your mobile phone one handed, for example, receiving a call, texting. 

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your thoughts with us.

How do you use your mobile phone with one hand? 51 votes

Left Hand
19%
cavanaughtimchuckbortjimlloyd40DrakenFXadrbserconnmichael_sjohnny3dd67wings4annieredbird 10 votes
Right Hand
66%
coldheat06sshasanaustin45celblazerjasonemobilegeezersamsamhaangiebkuruntohell121dnewman007westside80chrsnlouisdhollapbusymanpoohbiwonthedp1979sgarrandrasalonjasonscarter 34 votes
No Preference
13%
frodriguez2010maulgandhiromeosodawolfbatman101bradleybrenta@gmail.comOlgaB 7 votes

Comments

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New YorkPosts: 2,893 admin
    edited June 23, 2017 5:06PM
    Right Hand

5.5'' - Right Handed

Calls and Texts with the right hand.

• Right Hand

@yindan said:
    Time for a poll!

Consumer Lab would like to learn about your mobile phone usage behavior with one hand. Do you prefer to use your mobile phone with your right hand or left hand?

1. Please select one of the options below and let us know your mobile phone screen size in the comments down below. 
    2. In addition, we would like to learn about the scenarios in which you use your mobile phone one handed, for example, receiving a call, texting. 

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your thoughts with us.

calls with my left or right hand and texts with both or right navigation and some games with right

• wiseman13wiseman13 Stillwater, OKPosts: 290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

5.5 inch
    Calls, Text, Video games all one handed.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Left Hand

No matter the size of the device , i use my Left hand, unless i want to type fast and both hands :smiley:

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,135 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

5.5 and 6 inches

Calls, Text, and simple 1 handed games.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 11:42AM
    Right Hand

5 5", I actually voted wrong. I hold my phone with my left hand and use my right hand to touch the screen. Yes, I'm really old school, lol ;)

• trottertrotter Tennessee, USAPosts: 131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

5.5", right-handed.

I use my phone one handed for calls, most texting, filling out my paperwork for my job, and when using my phone as my e-reader. In fact, I very seldom use my phone with both hands and am not left-handed, nor do I game very often.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

5.8" (Galaxy S8), right handed
    web browsing, social media, text, and games

• Right Hand

5.5" Axon 7

when consuming content or calling, i use one hand as most apps are easy to use and navigate, but when i need to type, i use both hands like most other people. i find the single handed features of the Axon to be annoying actually, as they make the numbers smaller and harder to press even if they are off to one side.

• jasonejasone TennesseePosts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

I use it right handed and my phone screen size varies depending on which device I use. I will say I prefer to use 5.5 inches but if the phone has a one handed mode built into software I'm fine with 5.7 or 6 inches.

I use my phone one handed for everything except maybe gaming. Chatting and reading news would probably be the most common things I use it for.

Where I use one handed mode in software that shrinks the screen most often is for reaching menus at the top of the screen or pulling down the notification tray.

• Right Hand

5.2 right handed

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

5.5" - right hand
    Talk, text, browse social media and web, take selfies, read ebooks, write emails.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

5.5", right hand. I have a 6" phone and it's just too big to use one handed. I'd say I use my right hand 85% of the time and my left 15% when using one handed. I use two hands frequently also though. I text, email, surf, just about everything at times one handed except play games.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad poll construction -- should be a "both" selection

I use both hands regardless of phone size (hold in my left -- tap with my right) current phone is 6" screen
    Both my daughters also use both hands (to actually do something) - their phones are 5.5" screens

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

Right hand for both calls and texts. 5.5 inch.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Madison, Wisconsin, USAPosts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left Hand

5.5"
    I'm right-handed, but I only use my phone one-handed when I'm doing something more important (like typing) with my dominant hand, so I end up using the phone with my left hand. Also, I hold it up to my ear left-handed when I'm taking a call. Other than those limited scenarios, I vastly prefer two-handed usage.

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

Right hand about 90% of the time

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No Preference

I'm ambidextrous so there really is no difference for me. Screen sizes vary from 5.5 to 6.0

• saeedtedsaeedted TexasPosts: 557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

I have a key ring on the back of my phone where I put my middle finger through. Makes one- handed use an afterthought.

• bradleybrenta@gmail.combradleybrenta@gmail.com DeRidder, laPosts: 3 ✭✭✭✭
    No Preference

i always use my phone in portrait mode both thumbs

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Hand

I have several different phones that are different sizes. I chose right hand because that's the hand I most always hold my phone in. The most comfortable one-handed phone I have is the Honor 8. I think its screen size is 5.2 inches. The 6p is out at 5.7. It's not a one-handed phone at all. The A7 is 5.5 but I can comfortably use it with one hand. Just depends on your hand size I guess. I have smaller hands. On my Honor 8 I can even text using one hand with swipe texting on GBoard. I also use one hand just scrolling through websites, I do that with all of my phones no matter the size. I like a bigger screen but the Honor 8 is probably the easiest to use in one hand with it's smaller screen/build size although the A7 is doable as well.

• Left Hand

With difficulty (but then maybe I've got small hands)