Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Which design would you prefer for our countdown timer?

yindanyindan Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
edited June 23, 2017 6:07PM in Consumer Lab

Consumer Lab would like to learn about which design you would prefer for our countdown timer.

In order to solve our users’ pain point to set the countdown timer, we have two different designs which will improve the user experience. We would like to learn about your preference about these two sets, which one do you prefer, Design A or Design B.

Design A: Besides being able to set the time, as usual, we also put three different options on the bottom horizontally. You can simply click one of them to make a quick set. You can also long press the pre-build time, and edit your frequently-used time.

Design B: Besides you can set the time, as usual, the timer will remember the three history records you have used previously. If you want to make a quick set, you can simply click the “History” icon in the bottom right corner, and choose one of them to use.

Please
1)Select one of the options below and
2)Reply with your reasoning
3) Leave the countdown times such as 10 minutes, 15 minutes or 30 minutes etc. you frequently use in your daily life, we can make them as the default time in Design A for reference.

Design A

Design B

Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection.

Which design would you prefer for our countdown timer? 53 votes

Design A
83%
frodriguez2010maulgandhiaustin45celblazerDoppelgangerDcavanaughtimjasonemobilegeezersamsamhaangiebkuruntohell121dnewman007westside80louisdhollapmusicdjmbusymanpoohbiwonthedp1979sgarrand 44 votes
Design B
16%
coldheat06ironbaybeedollchuckbortbenkoresrasalonsaeedtedkidnovafreezaedmak222 9 votes

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I picked A. It looks cleaner to me.

• trottertrotter Tennessee, USAPosts: 131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I went with A as well. I prefer clean layouts without a bunch of buttons cluttering things up. Making the history accessible by a long press on the hourglass would be a nice option in my eyes; all the functionality without additional clutter.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I went with A also, prefer it's cleaner layout and less information to just make it simpler.

• jasonejasone TennesseePosts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I prefer design A it looks more cohesive and integrated this way without a pop up. My most common timers I set would be 1 minute, 30 minutes, and 60 minutes.

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I like A because it's cleaner. I prefer, when possible and practical, not to hide quick functions behind buttons.

• A. Clean, consistent. Is there a stock app for this?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

Pick "Design A"
    Is clean and more practical without hiding data that can be easily display like how is showing in Design A.

• landzonelandzone San DiegoPosts: 42
    Design A

A is the way. Clean and simple.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I chose A for the same reason as everyone else. Simple, intuitive is best.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I also pick A. Though I feel that the 3 presets should be more like a button and slightly larger to make them easier to tap.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,135 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

Design B

Because it looks cleaner to me. I would rather have the history pop up than to have it at the bottom.

the most common timers I use are:

25 seconds

45 seconds

1 minute

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

Definitely Design A. Much cleaner looking and unobtrusive. The common times or last used amounts under the digits could be highlighted a bit though.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Madison, Wisconsin, USAPosts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I picked B, because I think the history should be hidden in favor of a cleaner and uncluttered interface. There aren't any times that I tend to use more frequently than others, so I suspect that the history would be of very limited value to me.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Madison, Wisconsin, USAPosts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

@cavanaughtim said:
    I picked B, because I think the history should be hidden in favor of a cleaner and uncluttered interface. There aren't any times that I tend to use more frequently than others, so I suspect that the history would be of very limited value to me.

Oops, clearly I did not pick B. My mistake.

• Design B

I chose B, I like the history popup, and it just seems to add functionality to me.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

@cavanaughtim said:

@cavanaughtim said:

Oops, clearly I did not pick B. My mistake.

Sounds like you actually did want B. History is hidden with Option B unless you push the history button. With Option A the history is always present above the start button. It seems like some are confused by the pictures and are assuming that the second picture for option B is the default view.

Option B for me. Like others have used as their reasoning for Option A, I prefer a clean interface and B provides that. The extra buttons below the number pad just take up space, in my opinion, and it's simple enough to tap the history if I'm using a repeat time.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

A looks much cleaner. However, with A, can the suggested times along the bottom be customized? That would be a plus.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

@jasonscarter said:
    A looks much cleaner. However, with A, can the suggested times along the bottom be customized? That would be a plus.

The description says you can long press those times and change them.

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

I like have the option of choosing a frequent history timer.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

@yindan said:
    Consumer Lab would like to learn about which design you would prefer for our countdown timer.

In order to solve our users’ pain point to set the countdown timer, we have two different designs which will improve the user experience. We would like to learn about your preference about these two sets, which one do you prefer, Design A or Design B.

Design A: Besides being able to set the time, as usual, we also put three different options on the bottom horizontally. You can simply click one of them to make a quick set. You can also long press the pre-build time, and edit your frequently-used time.

Design B: Besides you can set the time, as usual, the timer will remember the three history records you have used previously. If you want to make a quick set, you can simply click the “History” icon in the bottom right corner, and choose one of them to use.

Please
    1)Select one of the options below and
    2)Reply with your reasoning
    3) Leave the countdown times such as 10 minutes, 15 minutes or 30 minutes etc. you frequently use in your daily life, we can make them as the default time in Design A for reference.

Design A

Design B

Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection.

A seemed more straight forward to me.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

Design A, it's nice clean and minimalistic.

• bradleybrenta@gmail.combradleybrenta@gmail.com DeRidder, laPosts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

id prefer design B

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Design A

Design A is clean and simple

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

I like B as it keeps the ui cleaner

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

Cleaner to me and 10 should be enough.

• saeedtedsaeedted TexasPosts: 557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

I voted B but I rather the history button be on the left side of '0'. It would make the layout look more balanced. Otherwise, A does look cleaner, I only worry about hitting the template timers on the bottom by mistake.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I like A better. It would be even better if we could pick our default times to set, the ones we use the most.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I chose A. It's not a feature I would likely use very often, but it's less obtrusive.

• Design A

My immediate thought with the history concept was a) how many entries would you save in the history. Too many and you'd spend all your time scrolling through the list looking for your particular entry. Quicker simply to enter the value manually.

I would be tempted to design it (if possible) such that the 3 default values are saved each time, and the "3 most used" are the ones shown each time. For example, I use 10, 20 and 30 a number of times. I then use 40 5 times, whereupon one of the 3 (10,20,30) gets kicked out and replaced by 40. That way, the app is flexible to MY use of it, rather than being written in the simplest way for the development team

• Design A

A is cleaner