Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Which design would you prefer for our countdown timer?

2»

Comments

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 6:52AM

My vote is for B, and instead of "History" I would consider renaming that dialog to "Preset". Then the Preset value could change as the user initialized the countdown with different times, or alternatively have it simply provide a few slots that the user can define and not a "dynamic" list based on usage). "History" would be more applicable to a stopwatch function where you wanted to see the "history" of recent count-ups.

Not only was it not immediately obvious to me what those history/preset values were on the screen in A until I got the context by looking at B, I couldn't immediately tell the unit of measurement... 00.10.00 could mean zero minutes.ten seconds.zero centiseconds, or zero hours.ten minutes.zero seconds .

edit: one can assume the format of the presets in A matches the pattern at the top of the screen, I just didn't get there until the third look at it, maybe because I'm used to timing shorter events in seconds instead of minutes for something like cooking. I guess it depends on the reader's behavior and regular use cases for a timer when they first look at it.

My vote is for B, and instead of "History" I would consider renaming that dialog to "Preset". Then the Preset value could change as the user initialized the countdown with different times, or alternatively have it simply provide a few slots that the user can define and not a "dynamic" list based on usage). "History" would be more applicable to a stopwatch function where you wanted to see the "history" of recent count-ups.

Not only was it not immediately obvious to me what those history/preset values were on the screen in A until I got the context by looking at B, I couldn't immediately tell the unit of measurement... 00.10.00 could mean zero minutes.ten seconds.zero centiseconds, or zero hours.ten minutes.zero seconds .

edit: one can assume the format of the presets in A matches the pattern at the top of the screen, I just didn't get there until the third look at it, maybe because I'm used to timing shorter events in seconds instead of minutes for something like cooking. I guess it depends on the reader's behavior and regular use cases for a timer when they first look at it.

• debrasworlddebrasworld Staten island nyPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design B

I picked b because if you needed to look back on something you can

• hottbitchickhottbitchick SacramentoPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

A. It is a clean simple design.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

The three adjustable presets would be ideal. I'd set four minutes for when I cook steak, ten minutes for most pastas, and a one-hour timer for my afternoon nap! xD

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design A

Design A

• tardisintimetardisintime Leavenworth, KSPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭
    Design A

I chose A, just seemed cleaner.

2»