I would buy the a new Axon in a heartbeat if they keep the feature set and update the SoC

jayramjayram Posts: 10

Basically what the title has said.

I fell in love with the Axon 7 when I saw it last year but I was in no shape to buy a new device. This year, I bought a OnePlus 5 as my upgrade. While it is is treating me well, I would sell it so fast if something along the lines of an Axon 8 was to be announced.

ZTE nailed it with spec sheet last year and they don't have to do much to keep it compelling today. Just take the Axon 7 and put a Snapdragon 835 with 6GB of ram and I'm sold. I am aware of their new Nubia Z17 and while I was impressed with that too, it lacks the features that compelled me to look at the A7. Another thing is bootloader unlocking, I was stoked when I heard the A7 got an official BL unlock and I really want to continue with future Axon devices. The only reason I bought a OnePlus 5 is because its unlocked and has flagship specs. If ZTE can offer this to me and all the added features the A7 had, it would become an instant buy for me.

I know I am not alone when it comes to OnePlus customers who are watching the company leave their community behind. This will likely be my last OnePlus device as they are leaving the marketplace they created, and I believe ZTE has to potential to fill that gap. The A7 was well done and the A8 could be even better.

Maybe someone will see this and consider making this Axon 8 a reality.

Comments

• jazzijazzi Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2017 4:40PM

It's amazing the number of users here who express their "love" for the phone. This guy not only "fell in love" but states that the phone is "treating him well." Weird stuff!

Seriously lads, you need to get out more and interact with people :) :D :) :D.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a quote from the Axon 8 discussion that to me gives us the perfect new Axon......

@westside80 said:
    ZTE really don't have to do much to get the A8 right. I hope they keep the design/build very similar to the A7. Keep the dual front facing speakers. Keep the 2k screen because once a company goes 2k they can't take it back. 5.5 to 5.7 inch AMOLED. Improve the camera performance, especially low-light. Improve cell reception because cell reception on the A7 is terrible. Continue to refine/tone down MiFavor UI. SD 835 or whatever the latest processor is at the time. 6gb RAM just because. 128gb base storage would be nice but 64gb with micro sd is totally fine. Include OIS in both front and rear cameras. 4,000 mAh battery. Add the option for both on screen and capacitive buttons in MiFavor. Add dark mode to MiFavor. Keep the headphone jack. Possible water resistance? That doesn't matter to me but some may want it. It would be nice to have just in case. Keep the bezels as small as possible without losing the front facing speakers. That's it. All those features will make a great phone. Try to keep the price around $449 in the US.

I could not agree more with my friend @westside80 ;)

Actually there is quite a bit that could be done:

1. Get rid of MiFavor, it won't be missed
    2. Improved camera hardware and software. Too many complaints about buzzing and poor image quality in low light
    3. Option to remove, not just disable non-essential bundled apps
    4. Back-lit navigation buttons
    5. Optional on-screen navigation buttons. This was already implemented in the pre-production version of the Axon 7
    6. Sort out overheating issues. The phone gets extremely hot at times, especially while charging
    7. Improved battery life - I don't play games, watch movies and barely stream videos yet the battery hardly lasts a day
    8. Please, please, please, provide some decent notification leds, these things are barely visible
    9. Sort out the buggy cache clearing function
    10. Better camera lens sealing. Lots of complaints about dust collecting under the lens
    11. The fingerprint sensor is too inconsistent
    12. Better quality microphone hardware. There has been many complaints about mic failures
    13. Its not a big deal but the phone is absurdly slippery. A case or skin is almost a requirement
    14. Provision of a more powerful vibration motor. Its relatively weak for a phone of that stature
    15. Full CDMA network compatibility. Its a bit hit or miss at the moment
    16. ... and of course improved radio reception
    edited June 26, 2017 8:28PM

2. Improved camera hardware and software. Too many complaints about buzzing and poor image quality in low light
    5. Optional on-screen navigation buttons. This was already implemented in the pre-production version of the Axon 7
    6. Sort out overheating issues. The phone gets extremely hot at times, even while charging at times
    7. Improved battery life - I don't play games, watch movies and barely stream videos yet the battery hardly lasts a day
    8. Please, please, please, provide some decent notification leds, these things are barely visible
    10. Better camera lens sealing. Lots of complaints about dust collecting under the lens
    12. Better quality microphone hardware. There has been many complaints about mic failures
    13. Its not a big deal but the phone is absurdly slippery. A case or skin is almost a requirement
    14. Provision of a more powerful vibration motor. Its relatively weak for a phone of that stature

It is a good device but like many others, it can certainly be improved.

• betobeto Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭

Keep everything it has now, including the headphone jack. Make the screen bigger and most importantly, keep the price the same. I'm due for a new phone this year so I'll definitely buy something. I'd like that something to be an A8 but if the price is one penny more than the phone was last year, I'll go buy something with a 650 class SOC instead.
    It is a buyers market out here.

• God no i regret buying my a7 so much im a teen and ive saved so long for mine and a month after the phone wont charge talk about a heart break i should have bought the 3t instead stick to one plus

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Brandon said:
    God no i regret buying my a7 so much im a teen and ive saved so long for mine and a month after the phone wont charge talk about a heart break i should have bought the 3t instead stick to one plus

Use the passport warranty to replace it at no cost. Contact US support here:
    https://www.zteusa.com/support_page/

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice list @jazzi and if they had just made the sides flat like every other phone it would be a lot less slippery. It's like holding a bar of soap. Getting a case was a requirement for me because otherwise I would have dropped this phone several times already.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

@jasone said:
    Nice list @jazzi and if they had just made the sides flat like every other phone it would be a lot less slippery. It's like holding a bar of soap. Getting a case was a requirement for me because otherwise I would have dropped this phone several times already.

Or even a grooved texture, when at the CES event the Hawkeye phone had a textured metal that looked awesome and probably made it alot less slippery

• chazzmattchazzmatt Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2017 2:58PM

@westside80 said: "Keep the 2k screen because once a company goes 2k they can't take it back. 5.5 to 5.7 inch AMOLED."

Yes, they can. It's a mistake, but Alcatel just did.
    2016 Idol 4S: 5.5" 1440P AMOLED with front facing speakers, VR certified.
    2017 Idol 5S 5.2" 1080p AMOLED with front facing speakers.

Just announced...

https://www.alcatelonetouch.us/idol-5s-unlocked-android-smartphone/

• brobbrob Posts: 11
    edited June 27, 2017 1:47PM

I've really been hoping that that ZTE would announce what their plans are regarding the ZTE Axon 8 for this year. A family member needs a new phone and I want to give them my Axon 7 and upgrade to something else. I wanted it to be the Axon 8 because I really like the 7. However, if they wait too long I will probably end up getting the OnePlus 5.

@chazzmatt said:

@westside80 said: "Keep the 2k screen because once a company goes 2k they can't take it back. 5.5 to 5.7 inch AMOLED."

2017 Idol 4S 5.2" 1080p AMOLED with front facing speakers.

Just announced...

Wow I thought Alcatel would come out swinging better than this. The battery is ridiculous. 32GB Rom. display downgrade. CPU is average. No Bluetooth 5.0. I'm just not impressed.

@hollap said:

@chazzmatt said:

Just announced...

Wow I thought Alcatel would come out swinging better than this. The battery is ridiculous. 32GB Rom. display downgrade. CPU is average. No Bluetooth 5.0. I'm just not impressed.

The Idol 5s is definitely a downgrade if you look at the Idol 4s specs. Very strange.

• chazzmattchazzmatt Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jazzi said:

6. Sort out overheating issues. The phone gets extremely hot at times, even while charging at times

Add Qi wireless charging. LG added it back, Samsung never dropped it, and even Apple is adding it to the iPhone 8 along with 1440p AMOLED.

It's a top tier feature which adds value. It's the only reason I didn't buy the ZTE Axon 7 which is an otherwise fantastic spec phone. I've had Qi wireless charging for me and my wife on both our last two phones (4 phones total) and I'm not giving it up -- just like I'm not giving up 1440p AMOLED for all the OnePlus fanbois who claim 1080p is just fine. NO.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chazzmatt said:

Add Qi wireless charging. LG added it back, Samsung never dropped it, and even Apple is adding it to the iPhone 8 along with 1440p AMOLED.

I've never owned a phone with Qi charging only a smartwatch. I think that should be a standard feature for a smartwatch, but I don't mind it not being on a phone. I think part of the problem is trying to pack in the latest and greatest specs and keep it affordable.

Qi charging would require a glass back and maybe they didn't want that for a couple of reasons. Such as keeping the cost down, or worrying about replacing phones with cracked backs. Since they offer such a long warranty.

Overall I think having Qi charging would be nice, I'd definitely use it if I had it. But I'd rather see their limited funds to going to improve the camera over adding a feature like that and glass backs to the phone. It's not a bad idea at all but I'd just rather see one of the core functions like the camera be improved. Part of what makes the Axon so compelling is the price. For that reason they can't pack in every bell and whistle.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    What is up with this forum? I've had 3 posts just disappear after I edited them. Bug.

This forum is definitely a step backwards. Many issues.

@westside80 said:

@chazzmatt said:

@jazzi said:

It's a top tier feature which adds value. It's the only reason I didn't buy the ZTE Axon 7 which is an otherwise fantastic spec phone. I've had Qi wireless charging for me and my wife on both our last two phones (4 phones total) and I'm not giving it up -- just like I'm not giving up 1440p AMOLED for all the OnePlus fanbois who claim 1080p is just fine. NO.

I'm not a OnePlus fanboy but the screen on the OP5 looks great, especially the new DCI-P3 option. They also added 3 BT Codecs - SBC, aptX and aptX HD. The cell signal has improved as well.

How does the screen compare to the Axon 7's screen? I'm debating on getting the OnePlus 5. I'm not sure if I will be able to wait for the Axon 8 to come out.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree @jayram. I'd be happy with an incremental change for the Axon 8, rather than a big evolutionary step. It might have been better for zte to release the Axon 7s in the US, the way OnePlus released the OP3T.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@brob said:

@hollap said:

@chazzmatt said:

Just announced...

The Idol 5s is definitely a downgrade if you look at the Idol 4s specs. Very strange.

@hollap Look at the specs for the Idol 5S on GearBest. They're fantastic. I don't know what's going on with Alcatel and the contradictory specs and model naming.

I'm not sure what is going on, but I tend to believe the manufacturer website. Multiple other websites are claiming the same specs along with the cheesy Amazon version. Maybe China has a different version @jimlloyd40

What I really want in the Axon 8 that the 7 currently doesn't have: 5G network speeds. T-Mobile 600MHz support. Widevine support. Dark theme.