Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What is your method for Securing Your Phone

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>With all the options available to securing your phone, which method do you utilize?</p><p>I thought it would be interesting to view what our users utilize and are most comfortable with.</p></body>

What is your method for Securing Your Phone 64 votes

FingerPrint
42% 27 votes
EyeScan
0% 0 votes
Voice Recognition
0% 0 votes
Pattern
14% 9 votes
Pin
21% 14 votes
None at all
17% 11 votes
Picture
0% 0 votes
Password
4% 3 votes

Comments

• I've been using many of the cm apps.

• I don't secure my phone. It's always with me and there's nothing on it that needs to be secured.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lol!

• allandnnnallandnnn west monroe laPosts: 7

i have autistic children i dont like my phone deleteing all my info or locking my phone so i have to call some one or wait a day to get in agian

• catman25catman25 Auburn nyPosts: 41

My girlfriend  thinks something  is up when  I lock my stuff  lol

• panxerpanxer OhioPosts: 6

I use the fingerprint method, simply because I can unlock the phone as I pick it up.  But I also have to type in a password when the phone first boots up, in order to decrypt it.  I just read an article a few days ago, which basically said police can get a warrant and make you unlock the cell phone using your fingerprint (but not by using a password).  Basically, the fingerprint is a physical thing (much like how they take fingerprints of anyone going to jail), but passwords are actually something personal we remember/use, which is private.

• Well shut my mouth!!!

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

2 phones have fingerprint.. 1 doesn't offer that option, so it's set to use a PIN.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Since the axon pro lacks a fingerprint scanner, I use a 16 character alphanumeric password. The great keyboard (proper number row), makes it easy to enter, especially when there are alternate unlocking for general use (e.g., the face unlock and trusted bluetooth device unlock). It is just annoying when I want to use android pay, since I have to enter in the long password.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

Hey Hassan.  Have you read this post by Fernando that talks about upcoming Android Pay updates that will let you use it without unlocking for loyalty cards?  I know it won't help with paying for stuff but it's some sort of help.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very true, that's one of the reasons I haven't adopted Android Pay. 

They would definitely improve the convenience, but the main delay, is when I need to pay using it. I do not trust having a short/ quick to enter password, though I would not mind a compromise, e.g., a finger print scan in addition to probably a 4 digit pin.

Yeah I didn't even think about that 2 factor authentication. 

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know some ZTE products and some other brands have retina/eye/iris scanner, I would love to check it out how it actually works. Hopefully, more smartphone manufacturers implement this feature. Here is the list of manufacturers and current smartphones with built in eye scanner technology...

Alcatel Idol 3

Fujitsu NX F-04G

Vivo X5Pro

ZTE Grand S3

I would like to test it also, as I wonder about the reliability of such a system, especially since many smartphones used the front facing camera which even at their native ISO, have a very low SNR, and often can only deliver on only a fraction of the output resolution when photographing a resolution test chart.

• atkrayatkray USAPosts: 16

I use a pin but would love to see something like the RSA token 2 factor we use at work.

SecurID | RSA Security Token Based Authentication 

I'm firmly in the camp that believes that Bio-metrics are for identification not security.

That is, they can replace a user name but never should replace passwords.

The recent court decision just reinforces that belief.

I also "don't have anything to hide" but It is no one else business what pictures I took today.

I have seen enough cases where someone in the right place at the right(wrong) time films official misconduct and then is told to hand over their phone as "evidence'.

If I stumble onto such a a scene I want my phone locked up tight.   </rant>

• ptmc518ptmc518 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 4

Definitely fingerprint.  I also use a long passcode of letters, numbers and special characters.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! My three kids can actually do more harm on an unsecured phone than on a secured one.

• retnuo@gmail.com[email protected] Shelton, WA.Posts: 14

I prefer to use a password.  If someone can break my 15 stroke alphanumeric code with control characters, more power to them to find any of the extremely boring info I keep on there

• dryduckdryduck PA, USAPosts: 6

I would prefer no lock at all, because I don't leave my phone unattended and don't want the extra hassle. But I have had to put a pin lock on because the stupid thing wakes up too easily in my pocket, and it's pretty hard for me to "pocket-dial" the pin at least.

On my tablet, which is quite often lying unattended around the house, I've been using the fingerprint lock so my kids can't play with it.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been spoiled by fingerprint scanners, can't use a phone without one now.

• mrbigscreenmrbigscreen United KingdomPosts: 266

I know some who have it set up so that if an incorect password or pattern is entered, a picture is taken of the user and emailed to the owner

Have you noticed over time any differnence in the speed it takes to unlock? after 6 months are they just as reliable?

paranoid much? just kidding

That is a great question.  Anyone more have thoughts?

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly fingerprint or no security at all lol

• ericwithcheeseericwithcheese Seattle, WAPosts: 43

I use a PIN like old school!  I used to not use anything, but then my leg would unlock my phone and start dialing numbers when walking around.  haha.

• I go with pin right now because my current phone does not have a fingerprint scanner.

• I can relate.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

I used the S7 for a very short time, and I can report a very, very fast fingerprint unlock. Milliseconds. The device unlocked in the blink of an eye, which is a feature I could get used to. (editing to reveal the fact that I read your comment wrong. I did not own the phone longer than 24 hours, so I can't comment as to speed once the phone is loaded with apps, photos, email, and updates)
    Of course, if were a criminal, or a guy carrying around photos and videos I wouldn't want law enforcement to view, I'd always use a long alpha numeric password with at least one symbol and a cap here and there.

This discussion has been closed.