Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How Long Should A Phone Manufacturer Be Held Accountable For Providing Updates To Their Flagship Dev

Comments

• markstrootmarkstroot Terre HautePosts: 107

They're a large investment and should be built to last and backed by the manufacturer and the software maker as well

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

Exactly, and we'd think that would be their priority with the amount of investment they have in their own products.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I would love for it to be 2 years but 1 year should be it at least. I mean it sucks buying a phone, the update coming out only a few months later and then boom you're stuck for a while with the same os.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, we also have to think about our patience with the devices because if they do stick to consistency with timely updates, maybe it won't be so bad to wait on the updates, especially if it's not half done.

• If you go by they will release a flagship device every year then to me 2 years is perfect. Unless of course they release one every 15 or 18 months. Basically when you release the second flagship device after. So for the Axon 7 say they release a 8 and a 9. Keep the updates coming till the 9 is released.

That's not a bad idea either. The investment in the phone will pay off by the time 2 years will have passed. That's consistency also.

• Worse case?
    3 years i.e. like Nexus and IOS devices

Best case?

Be like Cyanogenmod or OmniROm. 
    They offer OS upgrades indefinitely!

Bottom line?

If the hardware can take it, offer it.

Even if you have to charge a small upgrade fee.

Good point. Those roms could be found for other devices too tho. That's on the user to risk that "opportunity". Sure fire, quality updates may be a better fit for the majority. That's what a lot of manufacturers play off of. We hope we can get up to 3 years, especially when tech evolves about the same time.

• Hopefully ZTE has the foresight to make the Axon 7 compatible with Android N's Seamless Update feature.

Current Nexus devices will not get Android N’s seamless updates

http://www.androidauthority.com/current-nexus-devices-will-not-get-android-ns-seamless-updates-693911/

• Nexus 5 is still getting updates. If you want to compete with Nexus in this area it has to be 30 months or more.

2 years is probably enough for most users since most upgrade but when you upgrade, you still have the old devices and whether you give it to a family member or keep it as a toy, it's nice to have the option to update it and get new features and better security.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

Nexus 5 is getting its monthly security patches. Whether it will get N still remains to be seen.

The current Nexus update cycle looks like this: Nexus devices will continue to receive major updates for at least two years and security patches for the longer of three years from initial availability or 18 months from last sale of the device via the Google Store.

• aj_zteaj_zte EdmontonPosts: 21

Ideally - Forever.

Realistically - I wouldn't mind 2+ years.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel as though 2 years is enough. As things advance and new hardware becomes required for upcoming software, I think it's much better for support to end at some point, unless the device is left in a horrible state.

If updated are always given to the device we get things like bogged down phones with software that's not fully usable (iOS), or less battery life on devices (KitKat->Lollipop) etc. That said security updates should be essential.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

While I still think updates ought to be given every month, I now better understand the question here, and I'd say two years from purchase, or three years from release.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I changed my mind to being up to two years after the release date.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

Everyone who said the OS should be updated as long as the hardware isn't obsolete: I agree. A phone purchase is an investment, and one my biggest reasons for choosing a flagship is because the hardware will last at least two years, but more likely closer to 4 or 5, before becoming obsolete or just crapping out completely (replaceable batteries are wonderful animals). With that in mind, I'd have no qualms at all about going with a lesser phone if the updates for all phones were only supported for two years, or less. I mean, how many of us actually put the biggest baddest devices through their paces? Granted, as time goes on the hardware will eventually slow down as the OS grows and files are added, but that's beside the point.

Besides, wouldn't it be cheaper for the OS developers to continuously put out updated versions of an OS that all viable devices could install, rather than to support constant updates for numerous different OS versions on numerous devices?

I would completely agree with you! I would think it would be cheaper for the manufacturer to only have one OS and with those updstes, it would become much better over time because of longevity in support. Really good point!

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

For me, between 2 and 3 years.

And how are OEMs supposed to make money?

You know what the cheapest solution would be? Never deliver any updates and always make you buy new phones.

I understand that consumers always want to have it their way (I include myself here, 'infinite' and good working updates would be the best of course) but you have to keep in mind that these companies want to make money. They are no non-profit-organisations that want to make the world a better place, in the first place they want to make money.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

That would be ideal but with the speed tech is moving i could see 1-2

That is very true. Don't you think they will make money too if they were held high amongst consumers for delivering quality software? Samsung is known for having slow, bogged down, bloaty software, but if they actually invested in quality updates, wouldn't they attract more customers, thus, more money?

Look at how apple distributes their software. Updates nearly at the same time across all devices. Software held high among their community for quality and consistency. Android manufacturers could learn a thing or 2, maybe even adopting that approach and I can guarantee consumers would stick to android and even come back to Android. Just a thought.

They don't make any money by having good reputation and being 'held high amongst consumers', as you call it. This is just one way to make you buy devices from them. It helps them a lot if their customers are satisfied with their products and services but not in a monetary way but in a psychological way. When you are satisfied you will recommend the brand, you will buy new devices made by them, you will use their services and so on. But an OEM has nothing from you saying 'I like that OEM'.

They need to sell devices and try to achieve that by delivering the best they can or at least by delivering what they mean is the best and what most customers want (but that's obviously not always the case).

This is the same as in human resource management. Companies are trending to offer more and more activities for their employees, massages, discounts and so on. They don't do it because they feel sorry for their employees, they usually do it to make more profit as these employees are willing to work harder, faster and more efficient if they feel confident and comfortable in their job and among their coworkers.

You can't compare the Android ecosystem with the one by Apple and iOS. Apple is the one and only manufacturer that offers iOS devices. The Android ecosystem has dozens if not hundreds of OEMs (Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, ZTE, Huawei, ...). If you really want to compare these two ecosystems, the closest comparison is Apple vs. Nexus devices.

I can't speak out of personal experience but it's said that Apple devices slow down pretty much by every major OS update and don't get all the goodies that come with them. So maybe it's not as good as it seems to be with these updates. But nevertheless update support is the one and only thing I prefer on the fruity side of the Apple vs. Android battle.

You can read this article to have more information:

Software Updates: A Visual Comparison Of Support Lifetimes For iOS vs. Nexus Devices

That's very true. I would think though that they would gain that value to be recommended by giving us what we want in the software department.

That's true, apple devices start to slow down after their updates. My wife has one and I've seen and heard about the multiple updates to fix broke things from the previous update.

I understand that android is used by various manufacturers. Maybe using nexus would have been a better example. The reason why I used Samsung is because of the well known issues with their software. The update support would go a long way because consumers have left them due to nonfixed issues with software. Being in direct competition with apple, you'd think they would do better with their UI. They certainly have with their security patches. Credit to Samsung.

Yeah, but it all comes down to selling phones. And if they support every single phone for 4+ years from now on they will probably not do that. That's why I say two years for major OS releases and three years for security patches.

Well, Samsung is not the only OEM that is lacking in regard to updates. I think that more or less every manufacturer is somehow lacking. With Android's 'new approach' at updates (releasing developer previews more or less half a year before the official release) it could be possible to update their devices within some weeks (around 4-6 weeks after official release).

But all of them have dozens of devices and this as well as the seemingly huge lack of understanding what OS releases can be slow them down.

While the average Joe doesn't really care about updates that much they could easily sell the features that come with them. Every single one of these OEMs tries to sell you new stuff with questionable 'new and shiny' features anyway.

Can't deny the emphasis on selling phones. I just referenced Samsung because of the quality of their OS. What you said stands true of most if not all OEMs as far as update schedules. That's probably why we wouldn't mind the 3 year update support overall. Good point of view though!

But even Samsung is not that bad anymore I mean, their update 'speed' is non-existent but the state of their software has improved quite a bit. Actually the S7 edge is a very nice phone with decent software. By adding a theme store (with a nice material and stock theme in there) this phone also achieves to have a more or less good looking UI.

When was the last time you used a Samsung device yourself?

True, Samsung has improved. I currently use an S7 edge. Great phone. Certain software features that has been provided or great. Bloat, app open lag, and multiple same app redundancy is something that continues to be attached to Samsung and I'm experiencing it first hand. I also personally miss nfc vibration. I dont img the UI otherwise as I'm not very picky.

• elflaireelflaire Kampala - UgandaPosts: 101

+10 for all the above

• elflaireelflaire Kampala - UgandaPosts: 101

I would say officially 3 - 4 years

This discussion has been closed.