Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How Long Should A Phone Manufacturer Be Held Accountable For Providing Updates To Their Flagship Dev

124»

Comments

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

or roll doubles

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't base it on time, but rather release.  I think they should support 1 major release past the one the phone was released with.  So for the Axon 7 for example, it's being released with Marshmallow, and I think it should get Nougat as a minimum. I wouldn't expect anything after that. That will normally give you about 1/12 years of solid OS support, which leads you to deciding what your next device should be. After that, an unlocked bootloader would be nice so you could flash a ROM on there if you did want to keep things up to date.Manufacturers can only pay so much to support upgrading an OS on so many devices. Budget phones may already have outdated hardware to even get one update.So I would guess it would also matter on the device as well.

• 3 years sounds reasonable. People hold onto their phones longer than ever know and that will only increase. I also expect new software features added and UI changes.

Can you imagine Microsoft or Apple trying to do this on a laptop or PC?  I can't.  It isn't much different than this.  These devices are essentially a PC.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I buy phones yearly so at least 2 years than I am good.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• jonathan3579jonathan3579 Houston, TXPosts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry but if an OEM only supports their device for a single year, they'll never get financial support from my purchases. This is 100% a bad idea.

Funny thing is.. ZTE would probably end up on that list.

Take a cue from Google and their Nexus program - 2 years of guaranteed OS updates and 3 years for security patches. Sure, it isn't as good as Apple but nobody else seems to be willing to put in the time and resources for devices beyond that.

Which as I stated above would be 1 major software upgrade for Nexus.  Releases with Nougat, the next year you get O, then bam that's two years.  But the security patches are what's really nice about that program. 3 years of patches is pretty solid.

Never thought of it specifically like that. Although if the Nexus 6 gets Nougat, that'd be 2 years after release which I think is more acceptable

It will be interesting to see if the 6 gets Nougat or the 6P gets O, that's for sure.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I couldn't imagine the 6p not getting android oildrum, oragami or whatever they come up with next lol

• gigis83gigis83 michiganPosts: 38 ✭✭✭

I say 2 years since some people are stuck in contracts. Or don't really care to upgrade to flavor of the year.

• mrberman87mrberman87 Los AngelesPosts: 4

And once your Windows 10 hit's (or nears) EOL, you can always put *NIX on it and continue to have a great PC for years to come thereafter with security and feature updates.

• benjamin.hobbsbenjamin.hobbs Independence, ORPosts: 76

Held accountable? Those are fight'n words... lol. The company should feel inclined to collect anonymous usage data to develop software updates that makes their product perform optimally. Their desire to do so should be of freewill, not mandated and not required. Keep in mind that companies do not gift expenses incurred by taxes and regulations to the consumers. They take it out on the employees and the benefits they receive, and increase the prices of their products. If you like low prices, then think carefully about what you are entitled to. Our decision to continue to buy their products is the reward for acting on the inclination to improve the software over time. I do not support mandates on free enterprise, nor do I support excess taxation. We as the consumer vote with our money. Now if a company is dumping toxic waste, or doing business with terrorists nations, then the government has an obligation to do something under the general welfare clause. But if you don't like something, you are not entitled to anything. Not if it is based off of how you feel. If facts are inarguable that you are having an unjust experience, then it would be in the interest of the company to make it right. I bought a Zmax 2 and it works wonderfully. Do I want updates yes! Am I entitled to them? Nope. Not unless I'm experiencing loss of use, or there is a concern with my safety and private information. I've recieved updates that seem to improve the device, and I had no complaints before those were done. I'm thankful for them, but I can say I did not need them, nor was I entitled to them.

I think it's those that pay $700 for a device that feel that they are entitled. Cost should affect the software updates of a phone, but the more a manufacturer has invested in a device the more they tend to want that device to be seen as respectable in the real world. Now I pre-ordered the A7. For $400 I'm expecting at least one major OS upgrade for my device, especially since the device is being released so close to a new OS release to begin with. But I don't expect anything after that, other than security/malware/virus updates. Those I would expect for 2 years, especially with Passport 2.0. After 2 years I would like the option of an unlocked bootloader so I could play around with the old device if I want or use it as a hand me down for relatives. After 2 years I have new phones anyway.

I will be surprised if the 6P gets Android O. That's just my opinion, and I really hope it does, but it would really surprise me. I still think it was the best phone of 2015.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

​. No need for me to answer or take the poll as ​ has already said all that needs to be said on the matter.

• I voted 30 months but I personally buy my phones for what they can do when I buy them.

Also, I would prefer a commitment to security updates rather than OS/platform updates. For example as of today, August 7th, 2016, I would much rather be on Lollipop with the August 2016 security patch than Marshmallow with the February 2016 security patch.

Knowing how much time and resources it takes to do updates, I don't need them monthly. I would commit to around four per year, roughly quarterly.

• Realistically, updates are important from an operating standpoint. However, the VAST majority of smartphone users will be doing the same thing, once they upgrade to Nougat, that they had on Marshmallow or Lollipop. Text, make calls, browse internet, download programs & apps, etc.

An upgrade, doesn't means that some major breakthrough is going to happen that will prevent you from doing the same thing, on one OS than the other. The upgrade usually is cosmetic and some minor tweaks here and there.

The Major android upgrades have usually been upgrades that prevent the user from gaining full control of the OS. Implementing some better technology to make it harder for users to break in, if you will. As far as I can tell, Linux/Unix is all about the user experience and control of the  system.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You make some good points .

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A friend kept her Apple iPhone for four years and got regular updates for all four years.  After four years her battery life had dropped from 16 hours per charge to about 8 hours, so she bought a new phone.

An Android phone will first reach stores in August 2014 and its replacement reached stores in August 2015.  But some stores and Amazon.com will be selling the August 2014 model as "new" in January and February 2016. The folks who buy that phone should reasonably expect at least monthly security updates and bug fixes for two years of ownership, which would be February 2018. 

That is a total of 43 months from the date the model first reached stores.  Apple has always provided 48 months or more of support.

Apple can afford 48 months of support because it releases only 2 or 3 phones each year and they share the same software.

If ZTE releases only 3 phones in 2018 and all three use pure Oreo software, keeping them up to date would be easy.  But ZTE will be releasing 20 models and about four of them will be pure Oreo phones.

• I would just downloaded stage fright protection extension app from lookout security on mobile store but phones either need to keep receiving updates or on the last update they receive it should allow access to unlock bootloader and receive root. Allow this to be a developer option because it also voids warranty when rooted for beginners who don't know. Plus OEM unlock never works for a non rootable phone either. I know with so many devices out their this is a hard problem is keeping software up to date and in best stable condition, but allow the device to be rooted on the last update that it will receive so it does not compromise a user end experience.

This discussion has been closed.