Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What size smartphone do you REALLY prefer? (vote!)

DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of CeremoniesUnited StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>
It's quite obvious that the trend in phone sizes is going upward. AKA: The Phablet Movement.
Most phones are now 5 or 5.5 inches, and many are even going as large as 6 inches.
I can still remember many years ago when a friend showed me his new cell phone.
It was an accomplishment that it was so small, he could fit it into his shirt pocket.
I may be showing my age by revealing that, lol.</p><p></p><p>How much of a factor is size in your decision to purchase a phone?
Do you live by the motto of "Go big or go home?", or you do like something a little less bulky?</p><p>
For me personally, for my most recent purchase I was looking for a 5 inch model,
but I ended up buying a 5.5 inch model, and at that time I thought it was probably too big.
Now that I am used to it I really like it, and yes it is cumbersome sometimes to get in and out of pockets,
but for right now I think the trade off is worth it.
I even find myself wondering if a 6 inch phone would just be way too big. Hmmm..</p><p></p><p>So what size phone do you really like to use if you could have the exact phone you like at the ideal size you like?</p></body>

What size smartphone do you REALLY prefer? (vote!) 108 votes

Bigger than 6 inches (WOW! HOLY MAMA MIA!)
6% 7 votes
6 inches (HUGE!)
7% 8 votes
5.7 inches (REALLY Big!)
13% 15 votes
5.5 inches (Large and In Charge!)
40% 44 votes
5.2 inches (Getting up there.)
18% 20 votes
5 inches (Not too big, Not too small)
7% 8 votes
4.5 inches (I still like it smaller)
3% 4 votes
4 inches (I don't like large phones)
1% 2 votes

Comments

• I have a 5 inch phone now with big hands, I could easily go up to a 5.5. To me, that is just the right size between too big and too small.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

About 5" is the comfortable size of a phone for me. I would love a 6"+ screen like the Xiaomi Mi Max as a secondary phone for media and gaming consumption though... For regular use, a 5" phone seems perfect.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to prefer 4.5 to 5, but after using 5.5 inch smartphones,  I find it to be the perfect balance between physical size,  and screen space.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So I actually forgot to vote in my own poll, lol. I decided to go with 5.7" though.
    While I was hesitant to go with 5.5" on my last purchase,
    I like the size now, and while bigger is better, I think 6" is just too big to use as a daily driver.
    A few months ago if someone told I should use a 5.7" phone, I would have said they were crazy.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I also have big hands and fingers to match and fat-fingering is a real issue.
    I'm not sure how much of a difference a bigger screen makes for accuracy, especially with higher resolution screens,
    but it probably does make some difference.

• markstrootmarkstroot Terre HautePosts: 107

I went from the Samsung Note series and thought it was too big. I then went from S6 Edge and moved onto the HTC One M9 but now I went really small. The 4 inch iPhone SE. It took some getting use to put whatever size you're most comfortable with I say go for it

• 5.5 at the minimum, 6 at the most. Screen size is less important to me than features/value. I'm using a 5.2 inch now and I could get another if the value was there.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

5.7 for me but 5.5 or 6 is fine too, honestly after going to the zmax's nice big screen I don't think i could go for anything under 5 but ideally a lot higher than that! You think they are too big until you have them for a few weeks and then everything else is just small.

• luis.v18luis.v18 Dallas,TxPosts: 41

I currently have a 5.5" phone and i really like the size although i would not go any bigger. From 5-5.5 is the perfect range for me.

• catman25catman25 Auburn nyPosts: 41

I prefer like 5.5

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good question, recently I've been using 5.7 and 6 inch phones a lot. I'm kinda use to them but they are a bit of a struggle to use. Using a 5 inch phone is pretty nice but I think 5.5 inches is my sweet spot. It's where it's big but not quite too big to use one handed. That being said I don't usually make my purchasing decision on the size that much. If it's got great battery life, a great camera, and good screen and is over 5 inches I'm in.

Def  battery life is key and it needs to have a great camera as well

So what do you think about the difference between the size of 5.5 and 5.7.
    Does it make a significant difference for you, or is the difference nominal?
    Thanks.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To me, it would be minimal. It really depends on the phone design and how much bezel there is. Like a Galaxy Note 3 (5.7" screen, a phone I currently have), it is about the same size (shorter in height than the iPhone) as an iPhone 6 Plus (5.5" screen)

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I find it's a big enough difference for me when trying to reach to the other side. As is the jump from 5.7 to 6 inches. It's not a big enough difference that I'd make my buying decision on it though. I think I'm ok with any screen between 5 and 6 inches. I just struggle a bit more or have to be more careful not to lose my grip and drop ones 5.7 inches and above.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I would say 5-5.5".

I really struggle with the grip thing.
    I have recently put a new case on my phone that has a more grippy back.
    I've dropped it enough times now (without damaging it thank goodness) that I'm paranoid I'm going to drop it (and damage it).
    The TPU case that is a bit more grippy feels better now when trying to operate single handed.
    I do miss the way I can hold a 4.5" phone in hand and squeeze it on both sides and still hit most of the screen with my thumb,
    but it's just way too small now that I am used to a larger screen.

This may sound like a stupid question but do your hands get real sweaty and you need extra grip or you get phone cases that has a slicker texture it the phone seems to slide out of your pants?

I agree 4.5, 4.7" phones are much easier to hold, however the bigger 5-5.5" phones are much more impressive, with a nice "grippy" case like a speck grip case they are great to handle.

Well it doesn't slide out of my pants but does out of my hand.
    Most phone cases aren't too grippy unless you buy ones you know are more grippy.
    The cases I tend to like for the aesthetics usually end up not being very grippy.
    Most phones are also very slick on the back of the bare phone itself.

I have a Spigen case on my phone. I think its called Tough Armor series. It works well for me and keeps me protected well you may want to look into them to see if it will fit your needs best.

• luis.v18luis.v18 Dallas,TxPosts: 41

They have some real nice looking skins for phones that I would use instead of a case (not a fan of cases). Most skins offer a lot more grip too.

Skins are great, I still use them but I don't think anything beats a thin gripped case for protection. However the bigger phone you get I can see using a skin to get some grip and protection while keeping the physical size more manageable.

• ericwithcheeseericwithcheese Seattle, WAPosts: 43

I think a 5 to 5.5 inch is good enough for me.  Anything smaller would seem too small, and anything much bigger than that just feels like it would be ridiculous.  I see people using the iPhone 5 with its 4 inch screen and I wonder how they can even see anything on it. haha

My daughter has the iPhone se, she is adamant on that size ...."doesn't know any better" ...she is 12, but there is a market for smaller phones but I feel the clear market choice is in the mid 5" range for most consumers in this day and age.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I think 5.5" is good for me... Just something that's comfortable in my hand while talking.  I try to carry around a tablet with me as well so if I do need a bigger screen, I can just use that.. Smaller than 5.5 is too small, especially since most of what I do (and most people probably do) has nothing to do with actually talking..

I gotcha like dbrand or slickwraps? Do you feel protected without a case? I understand you want to show the beauty of the phone

• I watch a lot of YouTube and Netflix on my phone so I want a really big screen. My Nexus 6 is just about perfect.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

A larger screen is much easier for me, and I'd never pop a phone in my pocket anyhow.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

5" is my favorite but if the phone can grip well, I can do 5.5.

This discussion has been closed.