Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What size smartphone do you REALLY prefer? (vote!)

Comments

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I do have my massive phone in my pocket all the time and dont have a problem, its actually easier to know which pocket has the phone and which one has the wallet haha

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I think for me anywhere between 5"-5.5" is fine depending on the phone itself and how it feels in my hand. I used to have the Original 2014 HTC one M7 which was very pocketable and easy to use with one hand but the screen was relatively small compared to what is more common today. I don't think the trend is going up or down in size particularly. Apple released the iphone 6s and 6s plus which is a rather big device but then recently chose to reuse the dimension of the iphone 5  with the iphone se and it has been selling out across the states on back order. Most likely due to its more affordable price tag for an apple device, but their is still a significant part of the population that prefer smaller phones for pocketability and ease of one handed use.  My 11 year old daughter prefers the size of the iphone se and my old HTC M7 above anything I have currently in the 5"+ range.  The trend is most likely attempting to find the "sweet spot" for most consumers and(or) continue to release devices in multiple sizes.

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely 5.5" for me, and I have small hands.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I thought I commented and voted on this earlier. I suppose not.

I voted for 5.5 inches. I don't particularly think that is large though. To me, 6 inches or bigger is large. 5.5 seems to be the average size nowadays, with 5 inches being small. I have smaller hands due to my neuropathy with bad fingers, though I can still hold a 5.5 inch smartphone with one hand. So, I really can't consider that big.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for 5.2, but I would really take anything between 5 and 5.5.

• My eyes are not the best and I hate taking my glasses on and off, so I like a big phone, so I voted for 5.7.

I wouldn't mind a 6" one, but that might be too big to carry around.

• LOL at slide out of my pants.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Haha, very funny

• soonertoadsoonertoad OklahomaPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have fat and uncoordinated fingers. The giant screen helps me immensely . I used to mis-key all the time on my smaller phone. I am looking forward to the 6 inchers.

My father has my old HTC m7 (4.7") he has "fat sausage fingers" and have a very hard time using the phone. But he won't let me get him a newer one. He  is set in his ways until it breaks...I may have a bigger phone (HTC M8) for him soon......

I live the HTC m7 still to this day, it's such a pretty phone. But I agree the screen is a little too small. It's great for working out to strap to your arm though!

Plus it has dual front-facing speakers like the Axon 7. That is something I'm really disappointed in regarding HTC. After all, ZTE is able to get dual front-facing speakers in on the Axon 7. The HTC 10 really could have it too, plus the audio technology HTC added in it without having enough respect to their customers informing them of what exactly is being used, such as brand and model information. That still really bothers me about HTC.

HTC is strugglin' lol

It's speakers are still very good, Just not the best. The internal audio experience I've heard is wonderful.

I question their future after releasing the HTC 10 as it is. While I don't see it as big of a letdown as the LG G5 was, the HTC 10 in a sense is worse, because HTC hyped it up more without saying what exactly they are using to make the device match up what they are claiming about it. LG G5 technically is worse, but it hasn't marketed it up without following through, all except regarding the B&O HiFi module, of course.

HTC claiming the HTC 10 uses 24-bit audio sounds great and I imagine it would be good enough for me. Just that I don't want a product whose company won't release more details about what exactly the 24-bit audio system comprises of, in detail, such as brand, model, etc.

I believe the ZTE Axon 7 may use 32bit audio support.

I've heard that too, plus the good thing is ZTE lists the brand, make/model of the audio it uses, coming from a company called AKM. I forgot the numbering of the model at the moment, though when I checked into it, everything looked really good. This is what I expected from HTC with their HTC 10. However, all HTC will say is 24-bit audio, the new BoomSound.

Well after knowing LangLang is supporting ZTE with high-end concert hall sound, I'd much rather have that in the ZTE Axon 7 than BoomSound in the HTC 10.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

5.5" is perfect for me.

Same for me. It is the "just right" size in between small and big, which is something smartphone manufacturers seem to agree on, as many of them are making that as the standard size nowadays.

They must appease the masses :)

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 5.5inch OnePlus One. It is very nicely designed, but sometimes I feel it is a bit too wide. The AT&T Optimus G I had before that was only 4.7 inches, but its sides were this really uncomfortable curved shape that constantly made the phone feel too big. Having felt the Galaxy S7 Edge, I think the size and shape are near perfect - it's a case of getting a 5.5inch phone to feel better than usable. The OnePlus One doesn't feel bad at all with its 5.5inch screen, but the S7 Edge is definitely better. The Axon 7 looks to be in between, with slightly trimmer bezels than the OPO. I like the feel of the HTC 10 as well, but it felt a little too small! Perhaps a 5.3-5.4inch non-curved display would be perfect for me.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Oneplus  One has a great designe

It is certainly polarizing.

It looks very much like an HTC device but more affordable.

• tom604tom604 Vancouver BCPosts: 102

I find 5.5" to be a nice size especially for typing, however the main use for my phone is a music player for the Gym...and its just difficult to have that in your pocket while working out. I'd prefer a 5" phone.

I'm looking forward to the day having a holographic smartphone where you can carry a device the size of the old razr phones around but display output of a much larger display, perhaps 15 inches crisp and clear just as if an AMOLED were there.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to love the large phones. But, like others here, I'm 6'2" with the commensurate hand size. I also watch a lot of You Tube on my phone, when not at home, so the larger screens are great for me.

• Low to mid 5"

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I'm 5'4 really small hands, and the larger screens are great for me.  I think they are great.

This discussion has been closed.