Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Gorilla Glass or Dragontrail

<body><p>Was wondering what kind of screen people prefer? I've been noticing the use of Dragontrail glass on many newer mid-tier devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy J-series and the LG K7.  Which kind of screen do you like better and why?</p></body>

Gorilla Glass or Dragontrail 27 votes

Gorilla Glass
96% 26 votes
Dragontrail
3% 1 vote

Comments

• I've only ever used phones with gorilla glass but I've heard dragontail is a bit on the fragile side.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Never really heard of Dragontrial.. Have to go with Gorilla Glass, especially when that is used on most phones.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Had to vote Gorilla Glass because I've never heard of Dragontrail or had any experience with it. Seeing as you say it's in mid tier phones it makes me think it's not up to Gorilla Glass's standards.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Gorilla glass is definitely better.
    However there is an argument to be made for using Gorilla Glass in the first place on some devices.
    If OEMs are looking to cut costs, like when they have used Dragontrail, they can use said cheaper glass
    and allow the user to then add a nice screen protector to avoid scratches in exchange for a lower price.
    However this isn't advisable on flagship type phones, because people just want the best without compromise.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only really used gorilla glass, though all of them are fairly horrible. Basically without a screen protector, the simple act of day to day use where it is placed in your pocket, and taken out, will eventually cause tiny scratches on the display.

We effectively still do not have a smartphone digitizer which can be used without a screen protector, and not get scratched.

ideally, I would like to see phone makers offer the option to have a pre-applied screen projector. With phones already coming with that film on the screens that you have to peel off, this shows that they already have the capabilities to perfectly apply a screen projector. Why not just use a plastic that can be left on the screen rather than the large ones with the pull tabs?

Or if needed, make the digitizer easy to replace.

e.g., on my tablet, I simply undo 4 screws, and lift a single flat flex cable in order to swap the digitizer separately from the LCD display.

Make it just as easy on phones by avoiding a to of glue. All of this will allow for a smartphone will be far more usable during its service life, especially since replacement digitizers can often be had for a similar price to a decent screen protector.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Never used anything with dragontail, only gorilla glass which is wicked nice.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've only had phones w/ Gorilla glass. I always add a tempered glass protector anyway. Screens just scratch too easily anyway.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

GG

• lee18lee18 United StatesPosts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never even heard of dragontrail

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is a reason that dragontail is only used on mid tier devices.  GG FTW.  Now, that doesn't mean it will stay like this.  And I have to side with ​. I don't care what kind of glass you use. without a screen protector, you are susceptible to scratching period.  It may not happen, but there is a chance. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed

This discussion has been closed.