Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What software do you think should come preinstalled?

jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>When buying from a carrier you usually have no choice. The carrier is going to load it up with junk apps that cannot be removed, and if you're lucky they can be disabled. They are still there but at least you don't have to see them. I have bought unlocked phones before, but I bought my first Nexus phone last year. The first thing I noticed when I booted it up was how clean it was. The lack of junk apps and carrier bloat was amazing. </p><p></p><p>Even when buying unlocked you often have added junk apps. It ranges from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Evernote, Lookout Security, Uber, Clean Master, etc. etc. So my question is when you buy a phone not through a carrier. What software do you think should come preinstalled? For me personally it's Google apps only, if there is anything else I want I can get it myself.</p><p></p><p>Also if you do include extra apps beyond Google apps then please allow us to uninstall them completely, not disable I want them gone.</p></body>

What software do you think should come preinstalled? 34 votes

Social apps: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
8% 3 votes
Utility apps: Lookout Security, Clean Master, etc.
5% 2 votes
Google Apps
85% 29 votes

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have had many opportunities to think about this, and it comes down to this...
    The phone really should not have any apps pre-installed that are not mandatory from Android.
    Heck, even half of the Google apps probably shouldn't be there.
    Ultimately, any app that is available from the Play store doesn't need to be there unless it's mandatory for the operation of the phone. Users are perfectly capable of adding any app they need, whether it's for security, social networking or whatever.

Also, imagine how much more efficient the phone becomes when it doesn't have to deal with all the extra stuff it doesn't need.
    Especially when updating software, which goes much faster the less it has to reinstall or optimize.

Having said that, there are many end users out there that aren't very tech savy, and if stuff doesn't come preinstalled,
    then they may have a lot of trouble getting it done. Yes of course they should LEARN how to do it,
    but nevertheless there are plenty who just don't.
    Perhaps OEMs should really consider offering two choices.
    They can call one the "protected pre-installation" version, and call the other one the "developer necessity" version.
    Charge $10 more for the stripped down one and I bet it actually sells a lot more.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Very good and important discussion. I personally think google apps should be installed. I use most of them and it saves me the trouble from downloading them from the play store anyway.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Actually come to think of it maybe manufacturers could offer options like "essentials" "Social" "entertainment" or "productivity"

• ericwithcheeseericwithcheese Seattle, WAPosts: 43

What I can't stand is when carriers load apps on the phones that are completely redundant to have - such as AT&T Navigator when we have Google Maps or AT&T Locker when we have Google Drive cloud storage.  Whenever I get a new phone, I immediately disable kinds like these and never give it a second thought.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I think the only preinstalled apps should be the ones dealing with the OS... so android phones have google apps, apple phones, apple apps, etc..  I don't mind having the Google apps installed on my android as I do use a bunch of them...

My biggest pet peeve is the fact that Facebook can't be uninstalled... just turned off.  But there are a number of apps like that now, and it's extremely annoying.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree some of the Google Apps aren't even needed. Google is getting a little better about this by not having them installed by default or allowing you to uninstall some of them. I think Google Plus is a good example because it's non essential to the phone, and I recently had to install it on a new phone.

You also have a point about some people just not understanding or maybe finding it to be a hassle to install their social apps. I wonder though how many people are getting phones for the first time that don't know how to use them. These days people who already have a phone and are upgrading get the option during setup to install apps from a previous device. This would include their social apps. While a new user who is new to cellphones will most likely be someone younger. Those people were born into technology and know from an early age how to operate them. Not all of them of course, but younger kids are more tech savvy these days.

I guess having some social apps installed wouldn't be a bad thing as long as they are completely uninstallable and not just being disabled. However I still love the clean approach with nothing but the essential Google apps installed. Anything else I'll get for myself. I like how HTC was trying to work with Google to remove duplicate apps. I don't need your SMS or browser or calendar app. There is no reason for you to make these Google provides their own versions. If there is something better I want from a 3rd party for apps such as those. I will know about it and install it myself.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me, I would think there should be no apps be installed besides the essential (e.g. Dialer, Message, email, App Store, browser, camera, etc.). Just have the basics installed and let yourself add to the software experience by exploring what apps you might like from the App Store. It's best to let the user choose what they want on their phone and that would definitely save some space also and probably the phone's resource (processing power and ram).

Turning off or disabling the preinstall apps aren't that helpful. You might not see it, but it might still use some sort of process and/or waste your storage.

• Stock Stock Stock. Just give me the basic android experience and let me chose what apps to install. That is my favorite thing about my Nexus 6 just how clean it was. KISS... Keep It Stupid Simple. I think I reversed the S's. Anyway keeping it simple is the best thing you can possibly do. I don't use the Facebook App, Instagram, Twitter, or any social media app on my phone. CleanMaster and all those apps to me are more of an issue than an assistance. Or leave the ability to root the phone cause I'll do it damn it. Might not receive updates unless I install them myself, but still better than all the bloatware. Don't forget the phone companies that add their own navigation app then charges you for it, but Google Maps is already on there. Unlocked Stock Phones are the way to go in my book.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only the bare minimum should be installed. The base OS, and Gapps https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

Anything else should be a package that can be downloaded if the user chooses. For example, when installing ubuntu, it will offer the option if you want to install additional software.

Pre-installed bloat, often means a larger system partition,and less user accessible space. In some cases, some of the bloat will refuse to be disabled. Android largely relies on the cloud anyway, so they should at most, include an apk on the playstore, where the initial setup would ask a question such as "Would you like some bloatware on your device?", and they can choose yes or no.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

​ Love it!! "Would you like some bloatware on your device?"  I would love to see the stats on how many people select yes. HaHa.....

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I think only necessary apps should be pre-installed the rest (bloatware) should be optional installs and linked to the platform.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care much what apps are pre-installed, as long as they can be removed. Absolutely everything that isn't system critical should be able to be removed; anything else is an insult to the user.

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yass agreed

• I don't like bloatware, but I don't use a ton of apps either, so it's kind of not a huge deal to me.

My friend has a Nexus phone and loves it because she doesn't have all that junk.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above.  Clean stock with the ability to add...or delete...whatever I want.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I agree. Let people install what they want, when they want.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to say just leave it at clean stock, but even stock has useless apps abound, with some serving nearly the exact same function as others(Messenger, Allo, Duo, Hangouts, etc.), or being responsible for the worst types of battery drain(Mobile Signal Active bug, Google Play Services Location Bug, etc.).

Stock with the redundant things removes and also with no permissions granted off the bat would be the ideal for everyone.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree Google has redundant apps and sometimes includes apps we don't need or want. They allow you to uninstall some now, but ideally they would allow us to uninstall everything that isn't essential for the phone to operate.

Also agree with you.  At least let us move them to SD, but most Google apps you can't.

I feel so crestfallen when something comes with bloat, almost like it is tainted and ruined.

LOL I know what you mean.  It saddens me.  To see that App on there and know there is nothing I can do about it (unless i want to install a ROM, which I have done in the past but don't like to do) makes me cringe.

You should definitely be able to uninstall non essential apps (bloatware) from any device. It just makes sense.

I agree, but unfortunately the carriers don't That's why I want to go unlocked with my next purchase!

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

None, except the basics.

Why do they not listen to our desires?

• 0 sure give me lots of games that I'll never look at and cannot remove. Nada!!!!!

• Because they can only hear the sound of coins in their pockets.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

The more bloated the smartphone, the more likely its going to fart eventually.

They're should be an app for that! The more unnecessary apps or redundant apps you have installed on your phone it emits a huge "fart" sound, the thought just made me lol

Same here...don't know why i think this is so funny. LOL

This discussion has been closed.