Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Audio Preference

arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067
<body><p>This poll is to give the community an idea of each others' audio preferences.</p><p></p><p>This might also be helpful for ZTE to know how the audio chips could be tuned in best serving their customers' interests in audio.</p><p></p><p>My audio preference is for Analytical sound, which seems to be what ZTE is making the Axon 7 towards this kind of audio, considering the teaser trailer representing the pianist, Lang Lang and the vision they both share for this smartphone.</p></body>

Audio Preference 76 votes

Reference audio, neutral sounding recording studio setting
52% 40 votes
Analytical audio, bright sounding instrumentation concert hall setting
27% 21 votes
Bass audio, boom thumping subwoofer nightclub setting
19% 15 votes

Comments

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reference or even a little towards the warm side would be good for me, but really as long as the audio capability is inside of the device there is nothing a little bit of EQ couldn't fix if you play around with the settings. I feel it has to do more with the accompanying equipment as well as the sound.

• mossy375mossy375 ShanghaiPosts: 73

​, great poll! Personally I prefer reference audio, as I have ATH M50 headphones, which were designed for studio-reference. However, I do like to dial in custom EQs, so as long as the DAC onboard the phone is good, I don't mind the preset sound as I'm likely to alter it anyway!

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

+1 for EQ.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reference audio for sure !!!

I want to hear the audio as close as possible to the original recording.
    We can use EQ and other apps to alter the sound after that, so reference should be the preferred sound.
    I would also love to see a DAC with decoding capabilities for 24bit 192kHZ PCM audio.
    Combine that with reference quality tuning and you will have audiophile's money in hand, and there are a lot of them out there.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, as long as the device is capable of reference-quality audio, you can do the rest with EQ.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

Great votes here which I'm pretty much in agreement with. Although I prefer the analytical bright sound, reference sound is very good too. I'm not a fan of the boomy bass sound, and from viewing the results here thus far, doesn't seem like anyone else here is either. From this I can see why ZTE is so attractive regarding its audio. The ZTE Axon line fits really well with the likes people here have for audio, and should do quite well in sales.

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like something very true to source with a small extra bass boost. Not so much that it drowns out other details.

• elflaireelflaire Kampala - UgandaPosts: 101

I think it comes down to the Kind of Music i am listening to - There are seasons when i am bent towards Pop, Hip Hop e.t.c there i prefer FULL BASS. Then there are times when i go - Blues, Classical, Piano Instrumental - There i go for clarity - Analytical i want to feel every key stroke as well as each string -  So in a device i prefer pre-settings but with an option to manually tweak the settings via EQ

Sounds to me you might like one of those customizable sound earphones or headphones where there either is a bass turn screw or a special fitting on the head piece, which can give you both the low bass and the upper highs. I'm curious if this is what is known as V-Shaped, which is one of the few audio terms I'm not fully aware of.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

definitely need an EQ setting

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As with most, I'm going with reference. Would love to be able to hear most of the sounds from the actual audio recording as close as possible. Having different EQ is also beneficial to change the settings on the fly though.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Bass, because I'm a loser and listen to edm lol

Seems reference still is the most preferred here. As I mentioned in another post, I'm considering getting the Sennheiser IE 800 earphones as an addition to the Etymotic earphones I have. Then I'll have excellent analytical earphones and excellent reference earphones.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Small devices won't cut it for me because I'm all about that bass! Even with classical music,  the bass needs to be there. Sometimes you just need to feel the music.

There certainly are a lot of people who agree with that, as there preference seems to be for bass. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many people here voting for reference and analytical sound, because most people I've read discussing audio tastes and people I know who love audio, most of them love bass. I think how you described it pretty much exactly is what those people who love bass would say about it, in feeling the music. It gives a more thrilling sensation that moves and reverberates, gets people going, often to dance.

Analytical, which is my preference, I'd describe as more like instead of trying to move you physically through sound as bass does, the treble sensation is more akin to a mental rush. It is more of an awakening than it is a shaking. It is a breeze through the mind's senses, rather than a blow to the body. Everyone has different preferences to that. though an extreme of either can produce a bad feeling/experience. Also, I would say that bass is a sound that comes to you, whereas treble is a sound that you need to go to.

Hopefully I've added well there to your good description of what bass is like.

Me too, if I'm working out then I want BASS

I agree, bass bass bass

we want BASS

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I would prefer analytical in general for every day use however it is great hearing the bass when playing music.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Bass all the way.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For any audio device, the goal should be to achieve reference audio. reproduce the audio as accurately as possible without coloring it.

Leave all coloring up to the user.

For built in speakers, they should have a dedicated EQ which is factory calibrated to give as much of a reference representation of the frequency response range as possible.

With a reference audio device, you can simulate any other sound signature. For example, with the higher end reference headphones, and a good sound card, you could crank the bass to a level that would make headphones that focus primarily on bass (e.g., the overprices and low quality beats) to shame, and seem like treble only headphones.

With good headphones, the speakers are of a quality level, and power handling capability in which they can drive selected frequencies to a level that would cause lower end headphones to distort or fail.

Depending on the soundcard they used in the axon 7, if it is powerful enough, users can probably get high end reference headphones, and they can take music players to the next level, e.g., genre based EQ as part of the stock music player, thus if you have a drum and bass song that you really want to rattle your head, you can have EQ crank the bass for those songs.

Overall, the key to satisfying everyone, is to focus on getting the entire signal path, including the headphones to be as reference as possible, then recommend higher end headphones that will work for the users who want the freedom to choose their own sound signature.

Great reply ​. I agree with you.  The closer you can replicate the original piece of music, the better off the sound will be.  I was more responding to the device itself however, not with headphones or loudspeakers. You can tune whatever you want, but if you are listening to music or watching a movie on the native device with no headphones or external speakers, you will not produce rich bass from the devices speakers. 

But I do understand what you are saying when adding headphones or speakers.  The feeling of kettle drums pounding in your chest at a concert, or an explosion from a movie, these DACs in the Axon 7 will provide that with the right equipment

I hope so! I really want to try it out with some hi-fi headphone/earbuds

Me too.  Though i don't care for them myself, my son has a pair of Beats over the ear phones i would really test out with this phone

Lucky little guy.

LOL, he paid for these himself.  so he earned them

Aw, that is awesome. I am not a fan of Beats, but they look Stylin and it's all about that Brand brand brand

Yep, they have some of the highest markups of any headphones.

$200 Beats headphones actually cost just $18 to make - TechSpot

I know! Ars Technica all the way for me

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The thing is, a lot of stuff is "cheap" to make. But most of the material cost does not include R&D, marketing, staffing, etc.. Those are some money they have to make up when selling the product.

This discussion has been closed.