Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

High End Features I've Never Used

Comments

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

I would love for ZTE or Google to develop a universal Android device that could connect any Android phone (with high enough specs) to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Moto Z has a mod device for it, but it's not universal.

Aside from that - Windows Phones are annoying. They're great devices, but Microsoft has handled their entire mobile platform with the grace of a deranged bull.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well Chrome OS will soon be able to run android apps, so maybe they aren't too far off

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm quite surprised the number that haven't used NFC payments. I'm a huge fan of Google Pay and use it regularly. I'm for anything that doesn't provide a merchant my credit card number and instead provides them a number to run that only works when the request comes from my phone.  So, even if the merchant is breached, the number useless.

I'd love to start using it, but my phone (Windows) doesn't support mobile pay, other than PayPal.

• keshijikeshiji ChilePosts: 68

I've only used VR headsets!

Everything else, nope. Lol!

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive only used VR headsets as well! Very cool technology though. Will have to look into the others. Have you heard of augmented reality ​ ?

AR is the one I'm really interested in. Hollolens looks incredibly promising!

Exactly what I was thinking! Our technology has come so far

Yes, it has! All we have to do now is figure out what we really can't live without. My wallet isn't without limits, unfortunately.

• keshijikeshiji ChilePosts: 68

VR is quite cool indeed!

And I've heard it! It's amazing!

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to try VR on the phone, it's an intrigue feature but I am not 100% sold that it is absolute must. I feel the other three are things that I would use more than VR. Still, I am excited with the VR and AR on all of the tech gadgets now. I think there are potentials for it in the future.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with everything you stated. You've gotta contribute to my AR discussion!

You should check out Gearbest.com. They're a Chinese tech retail company. I bought a $10 vr headset from them that has a focus adjustment on it. It took almost 2 weeks for it to arrive, but it was worth it. I honestly don't use it very often, but it is fun when I do. If anything, it's far better quality and durability than cardboard, but at the same price.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't see this on the list but one I've tried but I never used after is the heart rate sensor stuff on the Samsung phones. It can measure your heart rate, stress levels, oxygen levels, and UV radiation. I played with it once or twice to try it out then never used it again, and find it to be a waste. I'm someone who works out and tries to be healthy but I still never use it.

Same here.  Tried it on my son's Galaxy S5 and it wasn't very accurate.  I thought it would be helpful as I am a runner, but my watch and pulse are still the most accurate

Yeah, the Samsung phone heart rate monitor is not accurate. I had a heart rate monitor watch for a little while, but after a few times using it, I realized I didn't care or need to know my heart rate. I'm a runner and martial artist. In training for my half marathon that I just did on Sunday, I never once checked my heart rate. All I needed to know was my pace, time, and distance. When I'm sparring or grappling, wearing a monitor and checking my heart rate is just too inconvenient. When training, you should go until you think you can't any longer. Then, the next time, try to push farther. Repeat.

Congrats on the half!  I ran my first marathon last year, and now that it's off the bucket list, I don't care to do another LOL

That's exactly what I said to my niece who was the one who conned me into doing it. Her father wouldn't let her do it without an adult, so she convinced me to join her since I'm already a runner (like 3-10 miles a week only). I went along with it for her. Funny thing is, I finished the race, but she did not. I'm done though. Back to just doing 10Ks.

Ive never used it either. Its just as easy for me to do everything with cash or debit

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

Never actually had fast wireless charging capability, so I never used it.  Messed around with AndroidPay but my bank's CCs aren't supported, just the VCCs. Got to mess with a great VR application though, worked with an outfit that provides virtual experiences of cars, inside and out, they're pitching it for internet auto sales, new and used.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topic is set to choose one instead of multiple choice.

Anyway I have not use any of them.

I am wary of NFC payment and the security of that if my phone falls into the wrong hands.

As for VR:  The Oculus Rift is apparently a fairly bad experience, and is light years beyond what phone VR is.  Phone VR seems to be a complete waste of time and money for everyone involved.  If you want to do VR, do it properly and get an HTC Vive.

Honestly, this would probably turn more people away from VR that those who would just go straight to trying out a proper implementation.  A poorly done VR demo can leave people feeling disorientated and motion sick due to underpowered hardware not being able to provide low latency to input vs screen motion, provide high frame rates, etc.  Most PCs don't have the power to run a setup like the Vive properly and will also turn into a poor experience.

Bad VR reception isn't based so much on "meh, its not for me", but more so on motion sickness which is due more so to the hardware not keeping up and causing a disorientating experience.  It really is astounding that HTC hasn't pushed for more instore demos than it has to get more control over people having a great FIRST VR experience.

The vive needs a video card with component which will simply not hit into 10 smart phones combines to function properly without even mentioning doing it well.  Smartphone VR, like I said, is just a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

It would.  Here is Luke Lafregniere (guy on the left).  He is one of the biggest proponents of VR in the VR community.  Here is is a discussion of VR adoption comming to a halt.  He mentions Gear VR, and how awful an experience it is.  The WAN Show - New iPhone with SEVEN Headphone Jacks - September 9th 2016 - YouTube

You can click on the channel and search VR and he has a few dedicated videos that go into more detail.

I agree with you 90%. I like having the option for VR, but I won't be spending very much time using it. AR is the future!

This discussion has been closed.