Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Design Focused (Aesthetics/Ergonomics) VS Battery Life/Features Focused

kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>What do you as a consumer want manufactures to focus on when designing their devices, battery life and functions or design aesthetics (ergonomics, slimness, feel in hand/ease of use)? Or would you prefer a balance in between?</p><p></p><p>(This does mean if you choose design that battery life would be horrible, nor does it mean if you choose battery/functions that the device will be unappealing and cumbersome; it simply means that there is a focus towards one or the other)</p><p></p><p>**For Reference** In this poll I consider both the Apple iPhone's and Galaxy S6 and S7, the Huawei P9, and the LG G5 all to be design focused devices. They all focus on aesthetics and slimness at the cost of battery capacity. I would consider the ZenFone Max, Motorola Moto X Play, and the Motorola Droid Turbo to all be more battery focused devices. </p></body>

Design Focused (Aesthetics/Ergonomics) VS Battery Life/Features Focused 38 votes

Design Fcoused (Ergonomics, aesthetics, comfort, aesthetics, slimness)
2% 1 vote
Battery Life and Feature Focusesd
36% 14 votes
Balanced (an equal focus between battery life and design)
60% 23 votes

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I feel manufactures must focus on all of the above, but also on the biggest weakness from their last model. This way if last years model was received well by consumers except for large complainants in battery life, I think it is very important to focus on that issue immediately for the next model.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Balanced buid is better.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Balanced buid is better.

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how that is pertinent to this poll exactly.

Keep in mind that some of the most widely popular devices on the market are more focused on design than battery capacity. (Apple iphone, galaxy S6 and S7)

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Balanced, but would sure be nice if someone could design a metal build with removable battery like LG did.

Yes, if that phone was thought out a little bit better and if they could have made the system more seamless I think it could have really taken off.

Sorry, i've been on the go all day I apologize if my thought on the topic didn't come out the way I intended it to, just edited it clarify my point.

Much improved haha, thank you for the feedback!

Thanks

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am personally looking forward to having Project Ara aka Google Modular phone, that way I can design the phone the way I want and I can also carry extra battery module and swap it if needed. Things would be rough/bad in the beginning since the vision takes a time to develop and mass consumer acceptance will be questionable.

to answer your question, I would want the organization to work on balance. The processor these days are powerful yet battery efficient at the same time, it is the software that can be improved upon and hence the better battery life (given that battery is anywhere between 3500-4000 mAh).

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I would definitely go for balanced.  Although I was tempted to lean more towards battery life, I still want/need the comfort, ergonomics, etc to be just right for me as well.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am largely focused on functionality, and thus do not care too much for the look, as long as the device is easy to hold and the features are well implemented, with good battery life.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I care much more for features and battery life than I do design. However, most device manufacturers just don't seem to care much about battery life. Despite disagreeing with people here who say 4k display resolution takes up too much battery life than it is worth, I'll agree with them among others who say that battery life just isn't good enough in this industry. That certainly is a correct assertion, as the most battery life appears to be in mainstream devices, is around 3600mah-4000mah, at most. In my opinion, battery life for a 5-inch to 5.5 inch 2k smartphone ought to be around 4500mah. The same sized 4k display resolution ought to be that too, though not with always-on 4k, only for certain activities. I'd say for always-on 4k, should have a 6000mah battery, going up to 7500mah for great battery life. Sure it will make the smartphone heavier, but to those who want 4k, it will be worth it.

Actually, it is my belief that the market is going to split into two type of smartphones. The smaller, lighter weight 1080p/2k ones that heavily rely on quick charge to power their sleek, lightweight designs. The other being a thicker, heavier, powerful 4k display that will incorporate ruggedness and durability, as Samsung's move to waterproof with their S7 Edge has me thinking a trend may start towards that, which hopefully other companied will make with even better durability that will lead towards rugged high-end premium smartphones.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

For me, battery life and features. I love my Zmax 2's feeling of the back cover, however I need a case on it anyway so it really doesn't matter to me.

Sometimes aesthetics are just the icing on the cake, so to say.

​ Yes, I very much care about the battery and features as well. I consider both the Apple iPhone and Galaxy S6 and S7, the Huawei P9, and the LG G5 all to be design focused devices. They all focus on aesthetics and slimness at the cost of battery capacity. I understand why as well. The opinions of a tech crowd like we have here, are going to be very skewed compared to the average consumer. The average consumer wants the device to "look cool", and this is their main motivation towards purchasing a device. Thus, if a smartphone manufacture ignores this, they will have much poorer sales. Hopefully new battery tech will be innovated and the battery will no longer hold back manufacturers from the design of the device.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Battery life FTW.

Exactly

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Balanced. Ergonomics/comfort are at least as important as battery endurance is, for me. I almost chose "Design Focused" but I wouldn't want battery life compromised for slimness and aesthetics, both of which are low on my priority list (but nice if everything else is good!).

In this poll the iPhone, Galaxy S6 and S7, and Huawie P9 are all design focused in this poll

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Battery life and features. Once you nail all of those and if it's a mostly bug free device, you have a great performing device
    that anyone would want. After that it's not hard to just make a nice phone that isn't butt ugly.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

I'm not too picky with what my phone looks on the outside, except for the volume rockers seem to fit better on the right side of the phone when looking at the screen. The touch power button if there is one, should belong on the back with the fingerprint scanner embedded or at the bottom on the front like the HTC 10. Speaker(s) on the front and that's about it for me. No worries about much else. Full HD at least and an improved, increased battery life, you can't go wrong.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Give me a big, ugly, overpowered, indestructible tank of a phone with days of battery life and I'll be happy. The prettiest phone I've ever owned was my Lumia 925, which was beautiful to look at and felt amazing to hold, but in the end it just didn't get the job done.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I think a 97 nokia has your name all over it lol

This discussion has been closed.