Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

OIS front facing camera for ZTE's next phone?

fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod
edited June 27, 2017 10:46PM in Consumer Lab

The newly released  HTC 10 was the first smartphone to introduce optical image stabilization (OIS) to the front facing camera.  It helps significantly in keeping pictures and videos shot with your front facing camera steady instead of the shaky images/video we often get with out OIS. Do you think ZTE should incorporate OIS to the front facing camera of their next phone?

OIS front facing camera for ZTE's next phone? 66 votes

Yes, ZTE should incorporate OIS to the front facing camera of their next phone.
57% 38 votes
No, ZTE should not incorporate OIS to the front facing camera of their next phone.
1% 1 vote
A front facing camera with OIS is not an important feature for me. I don't care either way.
40% 27 votes

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes to this poll. Always yes to OIS unless maybe it's a cheap phone, but this is an important feature for quality purposes.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Having OIS for any camera module is good, but if it results in an increase of cost to consumers, I would go without the OIS...

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I feel that in the next year or so it will become standard for all flagship smartphones to  have front facing cameras with OIS. It just  makes sense as it improves the quality of the image instantly even before processing.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Not important to me, don't care either way... wait, why did I even click on this topic?

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

In addition, the HTC 10 has OIS on the selfie cam and it doesn't actually do much of anything.

I disagree I've seen  some vlog's recorded with it and is a very stable smooth experience to watch because of the OIS.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

A reviewer (Tim Schofield) did a video using HTC 10's front facing camera, it performed really well.....this is why I want it to be included in ZTE next smartphone

Exactly, It seems like the market is really trending towards taking selfie pictures. This is why so many manufacturers have been increasing the specs of the front facing camera. Shooting quality video from the front camera is equally important for  a fair amount of the individuals that use that camera as well I'm sure.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a great idea. Congrats to HTC for being first to do it.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

It's also great for apps like Skype and IMO.

YES great point!

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

It's not necessary the front facing camera is almost always focusing on an object close by, so small movement isn't that visible.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

My finger has a nervous twitch.

It still helps with pictures being less shaky but I know where you are coming from, the front ois really shines when you are recording video.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me, I would like to see auto focus on the front facing camera, though I do not really use it since on the majority of phones, the front facing camera is significantly worst than the rear camera.

Of course usage takes precedent over most our decisions. I myself only use the front camera on occasion, but speaking for the masses I feel the "selfie" trend and vlog's are growing and would benefit form ois.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I see I'm a loner with my no vote. The thing is, OIS is not the best solution for camera-shake with moving subjects like people. It keeps the sensor still, but meanwhile it allows the camera to keep the shutter open longer. So instead of blur from a shaking camera, you get blur from a moving subject. It just moves the problem from one place to another. Rather than OIS, I'd rather have a camera that takes super fast exposures, so that blur from either source is not an issue.

Interesting answer. I have seen comparison videos of pics/video taken with and with out OIS and just seems so much better with it. Fast exposures would do well while taking pictures I'm sure, but while shooting video I think OIS is becoming very necessary.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My response is probably influence by the fact that I tend to take selfies with one or more of my extremely squirmy kids. There is definitely a time and place for OIS, even with human subjects. I just don't want it on my front camera.

Fair enough

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

HTC 10 did this and it's still not the best selfie camera. Worry about getting a quality front camera and making sure it is competent, then worry about implementing OIS on it. OIS won't make a poor camera good.

Maybe not, but it well make a good camera, better.

I think it can and will be implemented in more front facing cameras. And want I meant in previous comment was ois would make an excellent camera that much better, it has for rear cameras, it's a feature many users like, to me it's not a matter of if ois can make a camera better, it undoubtedly does do that, there is all much more that goes into making a food camera than just having ois and software is key to that as well, it's whether or not more people will use the front facing camera more than for just a quick selfie shot and start using it for shooting self videos, vlogs, etc.

What I am saying is relating to the question "OIS front facing camera for ZTA's next phone?". ZTE **should implement this in its next phone **only if it is better than a front facing camera without OIS. Not every camera module small enough to fit in the space for the front camera can be outfitted with OIS. So if the front camera options that are compatible with OIS are still not better than those without OIS, then no it should not use it.

Agreed :)

• Yes!!!! Plz it's is really important feature especially I'm taking family pics with my kids ois is very helpful getting that one "good" shot

Better than having to take 5 to get one good one!

I hear you! I often take three or four shots and have told pick the best one on my phone lol

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

To me, I don't care as much. If ZTE could do it relatively cheaply and it would add a lot to the phone then go for it, but if not, for me anyway, i don't see a point.

I hear you, and if it is low-light it's more like 10, for me at least lol.

This discussion has been closed.