Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

OIS front facing camera for ZTE's next phone?

2»

Comments

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

If you wait to compose one shot, you already missed the best one.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

OIS sounds like a nice feature to me, which I voted for this. However, as I've mentioned many times here before, I really think smartphone manufacturers ought to have a single reversible camera between the front and the rear. That way, it would take up less space while offering the exact same high-quality imaging front and rear.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

That maybe an option for a manufacturer to incorporate into their design, I don't know how cost effective it would be or plausible, now you are adding this moving part with a mechanism to spin or flip the camera, I don't know if that would make more the most sense, or providing a smaller display on the rear of the phone for this purpose or just leave it the way it is. I'm assuming for design and quality issues it will most likely remain the way it is with the main shooter on the rear of the camera a secondary on the front. Who knows what will be further developed along these lines, I'm always surprised by new innovative design elements incorporated into smart phones.

• As ​ was saying, while a reversible camera is certainly intriguing, it also prevents a massive weak point on a phone.  Say the mechanism was a swivel like the Oppo N1: while it certainly looks good, a lot can go wrong, especially if the phone is dropped.  But yes, it'd certainly be really cool if manufacturers found a way to spin the camera within the body of the phone.

• Personally, I don't think OIS for a front facing camera is too necessary.  I don't find I have trouble with shakiness on selfies. 

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

Not too important for me.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone could pull it off and still offer an amazing device at a reasonable price it would be ZTE, A front facing 13mp camera with OIS and front facing LED would be EPIC

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I feel the same way. The only reason I would see if a person needed an OIS  front facing camera if they shaked a lot when taking pictures.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I am thinking the price would go up if they added an OIS camera to the front.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

While I've been promoting the reversible camera idea, for fairness of this poll as  should have mentioned here earlier, OIS really ought to be standard for all smartphone cameras, even if there still are to be separate cameras between the rear and the front of the smartphone. Both ought to have OIS. I don't think it is a good idea to necessarily have one camera be of better quality than the other. If its a matter of economics on a smartphone, then better to just have one single reversible camera that can be of top quality.

Possibly, pros and cons to everything, it would be a welcome edition to me. Not necessary, but welcome.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

I don't know but...I might be paranoid...There are too many cameras pointing at me now.  I wouldn't subject myself to a selfie.  It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

This is why I think a compromise needs to be made in terms of the amount of cameras. Really, I don't understand the logistics in having the rear camera be of better quality than the front camera. If I were ever to use a camera, the front camera would be used more, as I'd only use it for video conferencing. That reason, to me, deserves OIS to keep the image stable while using the smartphone.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I don't see this as being needed.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Exactly, if they can do it for cheap go for it but if not no biggie

I agree, if it can be done relatively cheap then by all means incorporate it in the front camera, it can only improve the quality of the image/video but definitely not something I'd be willing to spend more money to have.

• a kardashian phone with his all over

It helps to stabilize the image. If someone loses grip but doesn't necessarily drop the device, the camera image ought to stay with them, unless I'm thinking of autofocus. Either way though, if the technologies improve usability of the camera, then all the more reason to add it, at least as an option.

• sirrussirrus CaliforniaPosts: 155

This certainly sounds like a problem, but perhaps Arysyn means something like internal switching from inside the device. The Oppo he's mentioned abit here and to me is something of an external part though that could break. An internal implementation would be much better.

I agree, absolutely no downside and  I can't see that there would be a huge additional cost to add it.

• mi_lionmi_lion Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

Vivo caters to the Chinese selfie and youth market crowd with much to do about front cameras. But it comes at an expensive price. For the majority of market (all ages) a better rear camera..dual camera and more advanced software development would be wiser money spent and welcomed universally...me thinks.

This discussion has been closed.