Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Future of VR Headsets

fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod
<body><p>I'm curious to see where this community thinks VR technology is heading in terms of the  form factor.  Currently manufactures are focusing on VR headsets that need a smartphone attached to them to function which in my opinion is the best route currently as most everyone owns a smartphone and for a small expense experience VR for themselves. Do you think that this form will continue in the next five years or do you think that VR headsets will have their own screen and functioning interface, possibly even a google glass type setup.  There are no wrong answers just a discussion on your thoughts of the future of the form factor of Virtual Reality.</p></body>

Future of VR Headsets 27 votes

VR headsets with smartphones attached will over take the market.
22% 6 votes
VR headsets with bullt in displays are the future.
66% 18 votes
Neither, I''ll explain below.
11% 3 votes

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I would love to see ZTE develop a pair of "Spekz by ZTE" a light weight pair of glasses with a built in 2-4k display & premium audio (possibly retractable earbuds from the arms of the glasses) or  bluetooth, with a user friendly interface, voice recognition and the device could have a sensor on the front of the glasses for the user to wave their finger in front of (motion sensor) to navigate the UI with  gestures while wearing the glasses, also since you are wearing the device on your face maybe add some sort of small solar panel incorporated in the frame to assist in power consumption, the tech may be too far away to make this happen but.......... ......just a thought .....and.....I would be open to beta testing, if you twist my arm "the ideal time to plan for tomorrow was yesterday, so you are already behind"  lol

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I believe there will be some sort of hologram-projected screen that will be beamed from a tiny laser attached with a small computer that will all fit on someone's head and provide a virtualized environment that can be switched between that and the real world.

Sounds similar the holo-deck from star trek the next generation! Although we are living in a sci-fi world. I believe we will some use of hologram technology in our life time.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

Or some of both together

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think consumers will gravitate to something cheaper that can use with a device that everyone already has. Everyone has a smartphone, so I am not sure people would want to spend the extra expense of an expensive VR with a screen if they already have a smartphone that could work with a cheaper VR. However, I'm sure that there will be a market for standalone VR devices for people who do not have a compatible phone. Additionally I do not think that the current design is going to be unchanged for very many years. Eventually a phone or the stand alone VR would be too cumbersome, and they will invented the next stage of virtual reality. This system still seems a bit "Gimmicky".

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can not see us strapping these bulky things on our faces for long. This isn't what comes to mind when you think "VR", it is not "cool" enough.

• eminuseminus Pacifica CAPosts: 21

I think this direction is the way of the future.  I've tried the ODG R-7 and the new glasses they debuted last week are improved in many areas. 

• Something like that probably, yes!

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for VR headsets with their own screens is the future, but for the next several years, we'll probably see cell phones as the predominant form of VR device. Cell phones are the most expedient way to get the technology into as many hands as possible. The more people who use it, the more mature the technology will become. Then, we'll start seeing the cell-free VR devices pop up.

• v8rmanv8rman Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 13

I love tech but part of me really cant jump on the vr bandwagon. There is something sacred to me about reality to go virtual.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how big the VR bandwagon gets. I am not so sure it will be the next big thing.

I agree,  I do think it will grow more in popularity with gaming systems and watching movies,  but I don't think it will be a gigantic sensation where everyone  NEEDS to have one. ... It will be interesting for sure.

This discussion has been closed.