Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Will you miss the standard audio jack?

dasm1078dasm1078 OrlandoPosts: 157
<body><p>Seems like a lot of Manufacturers are getting rid of the standard audio jack I know ZTE hasn't done it yet but Apple is rumored to and even the new Motorola Z has removed it what do you think of this new trend?</p><p>We are forced to either use Bluetooth headphones or use the charging port for audio.</p></body>

Will you miss the standard audio jack? 53 votes

Keep the standard jack?
67% 36 votes
Make way for the future either use charging port or Bluetooth
32% 17 votes

Comments

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't bother me a bit.  Can't remember the last time I used a wired headset.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

For right now I like using the standard audio jack for convenience. However that is also taking up valuable space in the phone. If the charging port can double its usefulness and be used for headphones as well this would most likely be the best option as it supposedly is cable of better quality audio. If you want to plug in your standard 3.5 mm headphones in as well I'm sure this would be able to be accomplished with a simple adaptor.

• dasm1078dasm1078 OrlandoPosts: 157

That's what I was thinking but its just another wire I would have to carry around like what if you want to listen to music and charge your phone at the same time.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

That's possible but I think for most you would be walking around with phone in hand or in your pocket and wouldn't be able to charge it anyway, or maybe someone would be able to come up with an adapter (2 to 1) that would allow both......if the change is made I think most likely it will just simply be standard, use it to listen to music or charge, not both and most would just accept and move on.....Apple is apparently going that route so ..it will most likely be the best think ever...hooorah!!! they got rid of my 3.5mm jack....YES!! toss me a red delicious apple! j/k

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the headphone jack really takes up that much space, give me a bigger phone. I'm not opposed to change, but this would be a huge step backwards.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the wired jack.  However, I am sure at some point they will do away with it on all phones and that's ok.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as it provides an adapter, I wouldn't mind... But would want an adapter that allows you to charge and listen to music at the same time. If USB-C provides better sound quality, I would say go for it. I think Letv/LeEco created a new standard called CDLA, uses the USB-C port to power the earphone, converting analog to digital or something like that.

3.5mm jack is the most convenient and widely adapted port for earphones/headphones though...

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I buy my headphones at 5 below so all my pairs or cheap ones at all for that matter will be rendered useless until bluetooth ones start becoming a lot cheaper so save the jacks!

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

They should keep it for a little while longer until headphone manufacturers have a good amount of usb-c headphones on the market. Besides, what's with the race for a paper thin phone by eliminating it. I want more battery anyway!

preach haha. Plus I would be wicked nervous having it as a usb hookup because if im working out and pull it the wrong way the whole usb port assembly could be messed up

• dasm1078dasm1078 OrlandoPosts: 157

I was thinking the same USB-C is fairly new I wonder how they can hold up over time of constant insertion lol

If companies continue to keep the 3.5mm, there is no pressure or incentive for companies to product USB-C based earphones... It has to have company start not including the 3.5mm jack in order for more companies to start producing the USB-C earphones/headphones. I think JBL and LeEco are one of the first few to produce USB-C earphones/headphones at the moment.

Obviously, but my point still remains.. Besides, it also takes some of the wear and tear away from the usb port.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, especially with something like the 3.5mm jack, it's so standard across all platforms and systems. i really think the usb one is just yet another gimmick to arbitrarily make people change because they think it's better.

Yeah, I obviously think it should stay; but to each their own.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I say keep it for sure! I don't like how these smartphones are becoming thinner, as it'll make it more difficult to grip/hold onto. Very bad for accessibility. After all, I much prefer smartphones become thicker, easier to grip, more rugged/durable, better battery life, more room for larger antennas with better reception, more room for other features as well, such as audio, etc.

Yeah, Same here.

Yep, I know. As I said below, the 3.5mm jack takes away some of the wear & tear that would be put on the usb port. I say keep it for now.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

Would the new connector also support using as antenna for those that use radio?

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or companies could create USB Type-C headphones that are better than the predecessors and would give a reason for users to want to upgrade.

In the history of peripheral standards and updates there was at most a transitory phase where products were either backwards compatible (not possible in this case) or peripherals were made beforehand. USB 2.0 did not come overnight and usurp USB 1.0. There were cables made for the standard by companies in order to support the transition only a few months after it became widespread, rather than just 'things have changed, deal with it'. For example, LG was the first to support aptx HD and came out with the first aptx HD headphone. Theres only one, but at least you have a viable option.

In the case where the 3.5mm is removed and usb type-c is used, there is no viable product, or one that does not require significant workarounds to utilize to its full capacity. Heck, there would even be a quality dropoff, which I can't really see as a selling point at this time.

Worse sound, more cost, less flexibility, and no backwards compatibility give you a whole 2mm more of thinness. Joy.

3.5mm headphone jack is here to stay for a few more years, as I would think more and more company would move towards the USB-C and Lightning (iPhone) port, though the concern of the wear and tear of the port is still valid, but normally, the port should withstand the lifetime of how long the phone is used (e.g. 2 or 3 years).

Of course peripherals do not change overnight, but it takes companies to push for a new standard to be widely available. It will take a few more years until most phones adopt to just USB-C for audio. Cost is the main issue at the moment since the products are still new; but for those who prefer 3.5mm headphones, there will be adapters available to allow one to use their old headphones. I don't think it's much of a saving of thinness/thickness moving towards USB-C, it's more about the sound quality that it could possibly provide using digital output via USB-C.

I think the same will come to pass, we'll just have to wait and see..

Here's an article that was posted yesterday relating to USB-C headphones and why not include the 3.5mm jack from LeEco.

Why did LeEco ditch the headphone jack? | The Verge

It's definitely the future, but OEMs need to include both for the transitional period. Especially for the audio market to adapt to it. I'm just glad the A7 has both.

Bingo. Especially for audio companies to adapt

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I can get an adapter to switch from USB C to 3.5mm until I buy a pair of phones that are made for USB C, I would be OK with dropping it.  Another hole to have to try to protect when waterproofing the phone

• I guess they should keep it for now. A lot of people buy expensive headphones to listen to music on their phones which use the 3.5mm. It should be a slow and gradual process.. Of course the incentive is if the adapters are made cheap for now or shipped with products so that people can transition.

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

I can see the benefit of running a USB c headphone system. If you think about it this should mean keeping sound digital (unless I am looking at it all wrong) which would lead to better sound

Better audio makes for a better device. Better all around, sounds great to me

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to clarify, sound is recorded in digital by converting sound from the microphone, so a singers voice for example, to an analog signal, which is then converted to digital using an analog to digital converter.

The digital data can then be modified and manipulated by digital software, which is what most enhancers, mixers, and studios use.

In phones, this is how the audio data, which is comprised of 0s and 1s, is heard through the headphones, after being amplified through the phones amp for the audio jack. Without getting into technical stuff like what a DSP is, this is how phones and headphones come together, and also why they sound different(different DACs and Amps).

With USB C this is bypassed. Either the adapter being used to convert 3.5mm to USB C must have a DAC and an amplifier, or the headphones themselves must have their own DAC and amplifier. This is how some Bluetooth headphones work, by providing their own DACs. This is the general problem.

The new standards won't produce the same cheap headphones everyone is used to using, and the processes used to create headphones must change. This is not an overnight process, and while I DO support USB C coming to fruition, forcing people to use the standard now gives no benefit to the consumer, or the headphone makers. Truly baffling.

This discussion has been closed.