Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Will you miss the standard audio jack?

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Helpful answer ​!

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

Thanks for the reply. That I formation is great.

I really don't see a problem however it new innovation and progress. Headphone jacks have been around for a long period of time. Why would it not be its turn for a major upgrade.

People have gone from USB to 2 to 3 to c without much protest

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

Very good post!

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I'm glad they have both too. It looks as though the headphone input is at the top while the USB is at the bottom, my preferred configuration. Hopefully ZTE doesn't try to get as thin as the Motorola Z line in future Axon devices though. I really don't like the thin trend.

• I'm having problems with just using the charging port. Doubling the usage will only put more wear on the port. I think best be rid of ports altogether then no more over usage problem's. It would be nice to have a phone for more than two years. I'm from the dinosaur age when we had rotary phones for thirty or fourty years. Even though it's true I still don't like the old adage time stands still for no man.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm good either way.. I just want it to release already. haha

found an interesting read on xda figured i would post it here

How Killing the 3.5mm Needlessly Complicates Smartphone Audio

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

If I had the moto Z, yup. We all used to it.

• barbosasbarbosas Orlando, FLPosts: 153

I think they should support audio through the USB and leave the standard 3.5 jack at least until it becomes more mainstream

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I agree. Then again I would never use the type c. If they got rid of the standard jack then I would just use Bluetooth

I think I would use the USB..lossless music is high on the list for me

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I think eventually in the near future the jack will become obsolete. Me personally I don't see nothing wrong with the 3.5mm headphone jack. I enjoy carrying around headphones and listening to my music. I rather not have bluebooth headphones because thats another thing you have to charge and to keep up with. But don't get me wrong it does make sense to get rid of the jack and integrate the type-c port for audio capability for a more thinner profile of a phone. It all comes down to what the indivdual wants in a phone.

"A phone made entire with you (me) in mind!"

zte axon-7

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for making way for new tech to come in, but at the same time the legacy type DAC implementation is very valued to
    many people, and they have invested in nice analog headphones and such to take advantage of it.
    While Bluetooth is nice for wireless audio, it has real limitations for bandwidth and quality,
    and while headphones with built in DACs sound cool, they are still very rare and in their infancy of technology.

I think manufacturers should try to embrace all of the connections for a while until the industry can get rooted more
    with AptX HD, Bluetooth 5, and more efficiently diverse digital headphones.

Another thing too though is that for devices that do decide to drop the analog output jack,
    they really need to incorporate 2 digital ports so that digital wired headphones can be used WHILE the device is also charging.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's my one hangup with the idea, charging at the same time you want to listen.  Also, now you are plugging and unplugging not only the charger, but also headphones into the jack, making it more susceptible to damage. Same goes for wireless charging, if I can't use the phone while charging, it's not as convenient. 

• oldirtyewokoldirtyewok Champlain, NYPosts: 165

Thanks for the information.  I learned something new today!

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can buy a cheap Bluetooth headphones online for under $15 dollars, theirs no excuse for anyone anymore to need a 3.5mm headphone jack, and if your that attached to it you should be forced to use an adopter to connect through usb-c

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Audio quality will never be as good as wired. Keep the 3.5mm jack and put some quality DAC's in it and you're set. This is a huge step back in my opinion.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, only if you don't give a crap about sound quality. Otherwise you need to spend a helluva lot more than $15.

Times are changing. You can get pretty darn good sound quality from other methods than straight wired analog connection,
    but the technology has a long road of growing and this is just the beginning.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Adapters get lost easily. Also, the USB-C port does not (yet) have a standard protocol for audio-out,  so onboard DAC &  amp can't be used (e.g. the great audio electronics of the Axon 7 is lost if you plug into the USB). The adapter or headset must have the DAC & amp built into it, adding expense and a wide variation of quality.

Sure,  the $$$ headphones can be even better due to specifically matching DAC/amp with the speakers. But you can do that without removing the 3.5mm port that the rest of us enjoy for more frugal high quality listening.

3.5mm port removal is just a way for manufacturers to give us less for the same price.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had trouble with this one. I finally voted for 'the future' because I use Bluetooth the most. But, I still plug in about 1/3 of the time.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I  use bluetooth mostly, and have for a while now, so no loss here.

• I only use Bluetooth headsets, I hate having a wire tethering me to the phone.

The only negative for not having a headphone jack, you won't be getting the accompanying headset when you buy the phone anymore. I doubt Bluetooth headsets will be  free with purchase.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I will not miss the standard jack because I will not buy a device that lacks one.

There is currently no across the board benefit to any of the non TRS jack standards. Simply put, the devices that lack the TRS jack, end up with many more negatives than what the TRS jack has. The devices without TRS, push the cost of a DAC and amp into the headphones, thus driving their cost up, and for the ones that allow analog audio passthrough, you are still stuck with a larger connector which also has a higher risk of damaging the wire since it cannot twist around, thus the wire at the connector will be under more stress. The USB-C connector is also more complex and expensive to make, and the female connector on the devices, have a limited number of use cycles (lower than that of a TRS connector).

Beyond that, audio quality will go down, as if a DAC and amp is used in the headphones, it will be of a lower quality than what would normally come with a flagship smartphone. While a quality DAC and amp is needed for use with quality headphones. Having cheap headphones paired with a quality DAC and amp, will offer better overall quality than cheap headphones paired with a cheap DAC and amp.

I will not be comfortable with moving on until a new standard comes out that is better across the board.

On a final note, a pack of 10 TRS plugs can be had for less than $2 with free shipping, while a single USB-C plug can cost $0.77 each.

• I'm not sure what you are saying in regard to non-TRS(Tip-Ring-Shield) headphones.

You are telling me that a good set of Bluetooth headphones can't achieve the same quality of sound as a wired headset?

Or that even USB headphones are not as good as a wired 3.5mm headset?

The is no future for smartphones having a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Being tethered to your phone by those wired headsets makes no sense, since you have to carry around your phone as well.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

I voted for charging port/Bluetooth because this gives OEMs and such the ability to innovate creative port connectors with even HI-FI integrated into it so we don't have to worry about it being necessarily built into the phone itself. I'm not opposed to having the jack either though because the truth of the matter is a lot of people still rely on the jack.

Most consumers nowadays have bluetooth headphones or headsets so it wouldn't surprise me if this was the direction to remove the jack though. Maybe in a couple years, I can definitely see it smothered out of physical play. We'll see though. I'm excited nonetheless to see what capabilities OEMs will think of to integrate into a jack connector.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Headphones are analog,  you never listen to digital losslessly and directly.  The music gets digital to analog conversion (DAC) and amplification either in the phone (as with the superb Axon 7 internals),  in the adapter connected to USB (cheap sound),  or in the headphones themselves (quality will vary—you get what you pay for).

The 3.5mm jack works well.  If it ain't broke,  don't fix it. 

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Compared to all of the current offerings (including USB-C), bluetooth has the lowest quality, as it has the lowest amount of available throughput. Bluetooth relies on compressing the audio, but it cannot use a computationally expensive form of compression, this it is more lossy than normal, especially since it has to process the audio quickly. The end result is that if the audio track requires more throughput than is available, just like how you get blocky artifaces in compressed video during action scenes with a lot of movement, you get the audio equivalent. Clarity and detail in the audio suffers when a song stresses the lows, mids, and highs at the same time. Fine details / subtle tones and articulations in the audio are lost on speakers that would otherwise be able to reproduce them. All current bluetooth audio standards suffer from this, simply because the throughput is too low too send a 100% uncompressed stream that would be mathematically equivalent to the analog output from the soundcard.

From time to time, different compression standards come out which help make bluetooth sound better, but we are a long way away from having lossless audio over bluetooth. Also, other than standard support, the headphones have no control over this, the quality loss takes place in the host device, e.g., your cellphone is killing the quality when there isn't enough throughput. to handle everything.

With other forms of digital connections, e.g., through USB-C, there is a good chance that you may not get a top of the line DAC like in the Axon 7, and with many headphones being built to a cost, it is likely that they will skimp. on some parts A mid range smartphone from ZTE has a better DAC than the highest end USB microphone.

the audio output from the host device plays a large role in audio quality which is why audio on even mid range over the ear headphones will sound better with a high end DAC and amp e.g., try these with some $100 headphones, and compare the quality to that of a modern onboard sound card on a desktop PC. https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/  (this device uses USB). You will notice a difference, as there is a lot that goes into preparing the audio for playback over the headphones. It goes beyond SNR, and sample rate. Factors such as how accurately can it move the diaphragms in the headphones to generate the sounds, and how does the power delivery and control that it does cope with being told to reproduce many different tones simultaneously where the movement becomes more complex.

A high end smartphone will implement a high quality chipset for both audio capture and playback, but if you look for teardowns of a $100 wireless logitech headset, you will often find a l\ow end DAC and amp.

g930-5.jpg

Overall, be having the phone contain all of the smarts and amplification, you can ensure that all headphones will have access to a high quality signal, instead of ending up with a headphone that will become more expensive while having lower quality parts in order to balance price increase, and overall quality.

Furthermore, as seen with many companies which are inexperienced with non analog technology, they tend to go with Shenzhen market drop-in modules, e.g, here is the main PCB of the beats pill bluetooth speaker.

Sa95F0Y.jpg

In a world where the phone is no longer handling the audio for the headphones, you may have to spend many hundreds on a pair of headphones before you get a DAC and amp that is as good as that you have in the Axon 7, being included inside of the headphones.

Think of it like this, suppose you have a cheap motherboard, and cheap/ low end CPU. You will get really poor overclocks out of the CPU, especially on the boards with the low end 3+1 or even 2+1 phase power delivery to the CPU and RAM (with no heatsink on the VRMs, and no low ESR caps being used with them). But if you take a top of the line motherboard with 10+2 phase power delivery or higher, which are actively cooled, and you place a cheap $50 CPU in there, the CPU will not suddenly perform like a $200 one, but it will perform better when you are ready to overclock it. You will have a more stable voltage going into it, that will experience less vdroop, and you will get better overclocks. In the real world, you will not see someone buy a $300 motherboard just to install a $50 CPU,, but imagine is you got that high end motherboard for nothing, or found it while dumpster diving, now if you only have a budget for that $50 CPU, you can be sure that you will get the most out of it. With a high end smartphone we are getting the same, a top notch DAC and amp that may be driving a $10 pair of headphones, It will not turn them into high end headphones, but you will get the most you can out of the cheap headphones. If the DAC and amp has to come with the headphones, you will end up with a cheap dac on a cheap pair of headphones, that will be unable to get the most out of those cheap speakers, thus making them perform worst than they otherwise would.

Why not? They are/can be cheap just like standard cheap headsets.
    Some OEMs are even switching to USB-C and not analog out and do include a pair of wired earbuds.
    Of course when you think about what you are getting for free, and the notion that you get what you pay for,
    don't expect to get a high end pair of earphones. They could be halfway decent like Apple's earpods that come
    with iPhones, but to get better quality you will always have to invest more in a 3rd party pair.

For people who are already content with mediocre sound quality, I'm not sure why they are fussing so much.
    You can buy a pair of mediocre Bluetooth headphones that don't sound godawful for like $20.

• Not that I want to call you out, but really, I doubt ANYONE can tell the difference from a quality Bluetooth headphones sound and what you seem fixated on.

You and your cut and paste explanation, is really unnecessarily over the top.

No, you can't persuade me to believe you are right. no one really cares that much.

This discussion has been closed.