Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Does the weight of a phone play a part in your purchase?

mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEOUnited StatesPosts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p><strong>The Axon 7 weighs about 185g, and that is a little bit heavier than some other phones.  However, if it is well balanced..it will not matter.  Is this an issue for you? Is it a deal breaker if a phone is a little heavy?</strong></p></body>

Does the weight of a phone play a part in your purchase? 80 votes

Yes
7% 6 votes
No
80% 64 votes
It depends, let me explain in my comment!
12% 10 votes

Comments

• No, I don't pay too much attention to the weight.  Yes, it's nice to look at the weight of a phone spec-wise, yet if the phone doesn't feel good in the hand it doesn't matter how light the phone is.  Some of the phones that come out have huge screens and are light, yet have no curves and are therefore difficult and uncomfortable to hold. 

Tldr: The fit of the phone in your hand is much more important than the weight of the phone. 

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't really matter to me. Design, Size, and overall feeling in the hand is may more of a factor to me than weight.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

It doesn't really matter to me when it comes to the total weight of the device. Long as it feels good in the hand and doesn't feel as big as it says on paper. (If that makes any sense...) But overall it all comes down to the price and overall specs of the device. I rarely find the weight to play a factor in buying a phone.

"A phone made entire with you (me) in mind!"

zte axon-7

• techwiztechwiz CochinPosts: 56

I like it thin and heavy. Am i the only one?

• The phone would have to weigh lbs more for it to matter to me, not 5 or 6 grams more than other phones.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It depends.
    Mostly I prefer a lighter phone like I think most people do, but I will sacrifice some of that for a bigger/better battery
    that may add a little to the weight so the SoT time can be longer than average.

• I've never really considered the weight of a phone before. As long as its not top or bottom heavy making it harder to hold I don't think it really matters. With the combination of a metal phone, large glass screen and big speakers of course its going to be a bit heavier than normal.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't care about the weight.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as it's not top heavy, I'm good with it.  The iPhone 6s Plus is a brick in my pocket, and the HTC 10 feels like it's not there sometimes.  I have a wide range of devices, and this one will fit right in there.  But I won't know how I feel about it until I get it in hand...which is something I'm really excited about.  I hope you all are as well.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Weight does not matter much to me, so I voted no.  as long as it feels good in the hand and has a nice big juicy battery, I'm good.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

A reasonable  weight as this phone is acceptable.

• darntonmdarntonm Las Vegas, NVPosts: 109

If anything, I go for heavier phones.  To show off my manliness.  Just like I always tell my wife with groceries.   I have to bring everything in one trip because "one trip or none trips"

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The weight of a phone is something I never consider when looking at specs.

The funny thing is, some reviewers were saying that the heavier weight of the Axon 7 gave it a more premium feel.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

If it's not heavy enough to weigh down my jeans to the point where I feel like I have to keep pulling them up when it is in my pocket.  Then it's fine with me. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

lol

• I love heavy phones. I really do.

• zeedezeede Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you are an Olympic swimmer or a runner, weight measured in grams is meaningless.  Reviews will knock a new phone a half point because it's 35g heavier than XYZ other phone.  Really?  35 grams?

Please explain how 30 or 40 grams makes any difference in yours or anyone's life.

And why do you have such a problem with me expressing my opinion?

• stevenkelby@gmail.com[email protected] South AustraliaPosts: 70

It's probably because you're a bit of a **** about expressing your opinion.

Well now I'm just confused.

This poll asked if a few grams of weight mattered to you in your phone purchasing decision.  Like almost everyone else who voted, I voted that it did not.  Like everyone else in this poll, I stated my opinion that weight alone is insignificant.  Material quality, battery size, weight balance, how the phone feels in your hand...these are all factors.

...but I get called out for being a d_ck?

Is this some kind of new guy hazing?  I haven't put anyone down, or made disparaging remarks.  I've simply stated my opinion, and people are reading into my comments an attitude that isn't there.

• stevenkelby@gmail.com[email protected] South AustraliaPosts: 70

Hey you asked the question. Just trying to help. People are sensitive (maybe you are too) and easily read attitude. Even if you didn't mean it. Just the comment I replied to for example:

Please explain how 30 or 40 grams makes any difference in yours or anyone's life.

Some people might see that as a bit of a [moderated] thing to say. Lots of your comments are like that. I don't mind at all, but some people do.

Just trying to help.

• I prefer a phone with a some weight to it.  A very light phone just seems fragile to me, even if it actually isn't.

• vzwcdmavzwcdma Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Of course... I wouldn't want to lug around a 10 pound phone around with me all day!

• mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭

I don't mind heavy phones but I need something for it.  If the weight is because of crappy mettal frame then that sucks.  If the weight is from strong plastic or rubber or a bigger battery they AWESOME.  

My crappy metal framed Axon 7 weighs about the same as a similar phone with a plastic frame and a 6ah battery.  I would much rather have a strong plastic frame and twice the battery than a slippery unpleasing metal frame. 

I reported your abusive post.

stevenkelby was reported for his hateful and unhelpful comment, please just ignore people that don't help and only insult. 

Why are you attacking him for his reasonable opinion specifically addressing the point of this thread?  you aren't talking about the thread you are only attacking a person for reasonably expressing their opinion, I have reported your abusive post.  If they point of your thread is to attack someone, then post it.  Its a waste of time for people like me to have to point out how your post is not helpful and only leads to arguments.  If zeede post was really offensive then you should have reported it. If he didn't have a point than you should have ignored it.  Instead you took the time to attack him for sharing their opinion and tried to start a fight.  

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as I can hold it with one hand and fit it in my pocket, I don't care how big or heavy a phone is. The trade-offs in battery life (and now headphone jacks!) are not worth it to me. Of course there is a place in the market for thinner, lighter phones, but right now they've got a disproportionate share, at least if the results of this poll are any indication.

This discussion has been closed.