Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Does the weight of a phone play a part in your purchase?

2»

Comments

• One of my biggest gripes about phones today is they're TOO thin and TOO light.  It's why I didn't go for the Nexus 6P last year.  That, and I didn't like the feel in my hand.  I went for the LG G4 because it was a little thicker and felt better in my hand with the curve.  The Axon 7 looks like it has a very similar curve in the back ... which was part of my decision to pre-order.  Now ... the waiting.

• mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭

Yes I agree, kinda understand think laptops, but I have never wanted a thin phone.  Wish they put a 10ah battery in these phones.  Especially since USB C has by directional power so you can charge other devices from your USB C phone. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are overreacting. I did not think he was attacking anybody. If anything the poster after Brian did more of an attack if you want to call it that. People here are very passionate about electronic devices. Lets just move on.....

• stevenkelby@gmail.com[email protected] South AustraliaPosts: 70

Thanks but it's OK I don't mind. Mantion hates me, I think it's because I'm black.

Moving on, I prefer a lighter weight for phone because I have to carry it. Same goes for wallet, torch, knife, gun, keys etc It all adds up.

• zeedezeede Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭

To expand on my original comment, it is one of my pet peeves that phone reviewers will praise a phone for having a faster chip, bigger and/or higher res screen, more RAM, bigger battery than last year's model...and then penalize it for weighing a few grams more.

It's the laws of physics!  You can't cram bigger/faster/better/more without making the phone taking a hit somewhere, either in its weight or the physical dimensions of the thing, all without changing its cost appreciably.

As they say in automobile aftermarket parts:

"You can make a part lightweight, strong or cheap.  Pick two."

• Exactly. At the end of the day, the Axon will weigh in 20 grams more than my current LG G4.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to notice the weight difference so much as the difference in the build.  I'll take strong over light.  Too many phones are just too light for my hands these days.  I want to know I'm holding it.  I suppose they could have dropped some weight by using a smaller battery ... and again, I'll take that extra battery!

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree

• Yes, because I run with my devices.

The thinness of the phone makes up for the extra weight though.  My Axon 7 has been a real champ on the trails so far.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same here ​.  I invested in this: Best Running Belt for Phones & Fitness and never looked back.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would have to be really, really heavy for it to be a factor - very minor in the overall scheme of things.

This discussion has been closed.