Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Slimmer phone or bigger battery?

<body><p>While I'd much rather give up a little slimness for more battery life, I know that manufacturers and many people feel differently.  Please enlighten me on your stance...</p></body>

Slimmer phone or bigger battery? 186 votes

Slimmer phone! I need my phone to feel like I'm holding air!
4% 9 votes
Bigger battery! I need my phone's battery to last!
77% 145 votes
Could we do both?!? (This option is basically cheating :))
17% 32 votes

Comments

• Sometimes thinner isn't always better. The thinner you go the more worry I'd have about durability. Beef it up a bit and just make room for a bigger battery.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

It's hard to just choose one in making the vote. Everyone wants the thinnest phone with the nice battery capacity. I tend to go for the battery capacity rather than the phones actually design profile. With quick charge being a part of the spec list this year, you don't have to really worry about going without a full charge.

"A phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

zte axon-7

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bigger Battery!

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I prefer there to be a thicker device with a larger battery, preferably ruggedized. Too bad smartphones with ruggedized standards do not have high-end specifications.

• See, that's what I don't understand, I feel that most people that take interest in phones want a bigger battery, I guess many other consumers are captivated by the slimness.  Also, a lot of times a camera bump will be left, if battery where just used to fill it in the phone would be nice and uniform.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I don't understand the slimness thing either. Besides the smaller battery,there is less space for an antenna, so the antenna will be smaller and have worse reception. Plus, less space means fewer features, such as HiFi audio chips, etc. Also, thinner means worse grip, resulting in more drops with a greater likelihood the device will get damaged due to its slimness. I really don't like this slimness trend at all.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Make the battery last LONG even with SoT, great DAC, great reception, and a nice big screen at least 5.5",
    and a high quality camera with no bump and once you accomplish that then make it as thin as you want,
    but it's not going to be close to paper thin and that's ok with me too.
    I don't like to sacrifice any of those things for the sake of slimness.

• Instead of having a camera bump, fill out the rest of the phone with battery!

Exactly!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Fatty battery.  All day long.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Give me more battery!!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I'm a cheater, kind of. I wanted longer battery life, and like a slim phone, however I can deal with a thicker phone if  it is the only way.

• Bigger battery

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

the only thing that i would have liked to see on the Axon 7 would have been a battery 4300mah or bigger, as long as the phone stays under 11mm then its more than thin enough in my book. I would much rather the biggest possible battery on the phone

I agree, I definitely would rather the Axon 7 have the back flush with the camera and have a bigger battery; even at the expense of it being thicker.

Don't get me wrong, 3250mAh in the Axon 7 is big, but bigger than that would be even better.

• Phones are plenty slim already.  I don't need something super thin if it means sacrificing battery.  Until new technology is developed that let's a smaller battery hold a larger charge I'm all for a larger battery so that I don't have to live off a wall outlet.

• alanquestalanquest KenyaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

Haha I'm the only one who said slimmer. Wow

• ericwithcheeseericwithcheese Seattle, WAPosts: 43

I go with a bigger battery every time.  I actually like my phones to have a bit of bulk to them so it feels like I'm holding something and I can feel it being present in my pocket.

• oldirtyewokoldirtyewok Champlain, NYPosts: 165

I chose why not have our cake and eat it too...

Eventually battery technology will catch up to its requirements.  Like electric cars, battery capacity is only gonna get bigger from here, though there's still quite a ways to go.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

Bigger battery. The thing is, it really doesn't thicken the phone all that much. Look at the s7 edge, s7 active and even tablet size. Comparing sizes, unless the length of the battery would have to increase the phone, phones should have battery sizes equivalent to tablets whilst tablets having much larger batteries. I guess us consumers don't know as much as the manufacturers though.

I wish manufacturers would stop thinking that just because I can charge the phone in and hr and a half that I dont want a bigger battery .. This is simply not the case, as we rely more and more on our phones and the more connected devices the more the battery should be getting increased. Give me a 5500 mah battery with a phone thats 10.5 mm thick or less and I will be the happiest man around lol. This will give heavy users like me closer to a full day of charge and lesser users 2 or more days full charge

• alanquestalanquest KenyaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

Yes! If only bigger battery didn't mean bigger phones. My pocket isn't getting any bigger.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

Exactly. The speed at which to charge the battery relies on Qualcomm or how effective the cells being used can be recharged. Size isn't that much of a deterrent to faster/slower charge times. I get what you're saying though. I wouldn't mind a 2 hr wait if I didn't have to charge my phone for 2-3 days. Tablets should have battery sizes similar to laptops and being thick to that extent is still very well worth the product. A phone likewise being as thick as a tablet would be welcomed. OEMs need to come here and read our thoughts and on other forums about how we welcome thicker devices for bigger and better battery performance.

• chulohockchulohock Cottonwood, AZPosts: 11

I would say bigger battery until battery technology improves to give us slimmer, lighter devices.

The Axon pro was 9.4mm thick lol and last year most phones where in the 10mm range so unless your pocket is getting smaller you shouldnt have much issues lol

• I would say eliminate the battery hump by using a bigger battery for most phones.

• That would be nice.  My Nexus 6p barely fits in my pockets.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Battery city, a city full of nothing except for batteries

• Even though I am for a larger battery it is not as big of a deal as it use to be because of quick charge capabilities. I use to live off a wall outlet. No so much anymore.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like a bigger battery that is user replaceable in an all-metal body.

This discussion has been closed.